Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Liz Truss is now more unpopular with the British public than Boris Johnson ever was


Still Waters
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted (IP: Staff) ·

After spending just over a month as British Prime Minister, Liz Truss is already more unpopular with the public than Boris Johnson ever was. 

She assumed office in less than favourable circumstances, and the first few months in the top job has been nothing short of chaotic. So, there’s no surprise the British public has already had enough.

In a YouGov survey conducted between October 1 and 2, just 14 per cent of the public have a favourable impression of Truss.

This is compared to the 26 per cent who were in favour of the new Prime Minister in a survey conducted in late September.

https://www.ladbible.com/news/liz-truss-more-unpopular-with-the-british-public-than-boris-johnson-20221006

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Watch Boris stand when she gets removed and get his position back lmao.

The inflation problems are being driven by the sanctions on Russia. Let us divide the impact of those sanctions into three categories:

Investment: Sanctions made investors want to sell their shares in Russian companies. But Russia countered this by closing its stock market until things cooled down.

Supply Chain Disruption: Sanctions caused significant disruption to supply chains Russian companies need to make a variety of products. This was good but is time dependant. Meaning that as Russian businesses adapt by creating new supply chains the negative effects of sanctions wear off. Then have already begun wearing off as Russia turns to China.

Export Prices: Sanctioning oil, gas, grain, vegetable oil, and fertilizer, caused rapid global increases in price. Hence, rather than cause a loss for Russia it is earning more now for its exports than before. 

So, what sanctions have effectively done is disrupt Russian supply chains while giving them a tonne of money. Now let`s look at the impact of sanctions on the UK economy:

Investment: High inflation has crashed the value of the pound as investors flee.

Supply Chain Disruption: These are safe as we never really imported much from Russia anyway.

Import Prices: High prices on the global market for oil, gas, grain, vegetable oil, and fertilizer, are crippling households and causing high inflation.

So, what sanctions are doing to us is putting off investors and causing financial hardship. In effect, the sanctions are doing more damage to us than to Russia. So why are they still in place?

Let us state clearly the obvious - Sanctions are giving Russia more money to spend on war, not less. And at the same time sending Britain and other western countries bust.

Daft!!! End the sodding sanctions please so our inflation can come down.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

"Poll Sample size - 1751"

Edited by itsnotoutthere
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Liz gave a pretty good speech at the conference. It's lacking in detail, but those sorts of speeches never have detail, just broad principles.

Kharzi is meeting with UK banks today, I think the main aim is to change the affordabilty criteria for mortgages, which were formulated in times when interest rates were unsustainably low, which will pacify home buyers.

Fitch has lowered the UK's credit rating to negative, which will make the billions Liz intends to borrow for the tax cuts less affordable- so she might have to make deeper cuts to public spending than she anticipated.

But generally, I think she has made a good start and has been to true to her pre-PM promises.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, pellinore said:

Liz gave a pretty good speech at the conference. It's lacking in detail, but those sorts of speeches never have detail, just broad principles.

Kharzi is meeting with UK banks today, I think the main aim is to change the affordabilty criteria for mortgages, which were formulated in times when interest rates were unsustainably low, which will pacify home buyers.

Fitch has lowered the UK's credit rating to negative, which will make the billions Liz intends to borrow for the tax cuts less affordable- so she might have to make deeper cuts to public spending than she anticipated.

But generally, I think she has made a good start and has been to true to her pre-PM promises.

I watched it and found her speech to bad. She is not a gifted speaker and doesn`t have charisma.

I noticed that following the demonstrators she looked like she was going to cry. She looked like she was going to cry the day before too when a Sky News journalist gave her a roasting. I don't like leaders that blubber when they receive feedback which they don't like.

I`m confused what you are trying to say about the UK`s credit rating because its AAA.

Her economic policies are ideological not pragmatic. She needs to deal with inflation before going full blown Tory on the economy or the party will lose the next election.

Bring back Boris!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Truss comes across as a little schoolgirl doing work experience, when she'd rather be at home playing with her dolls.  She'll probably end up as a secretary for the boss of a medium sized local business, when she grows up.

Boris was just the class clown, who makes everyone laugh, and used his popularity to hide the fact he can't even read or write.  

The fact either of them ended up in Parliament proves that a) our electoral system is not fit for purpose and b) that most voters should, on no account, ever be allowed to vote again.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Essan said:

Truss comes across as a little schoolgirl doing work experience, when she'd rather be at home playing with her dolls.  She'll probably end up as a secretary for the boss of a medium sized local business, when she grows up.

Boris was just the class clown, who makes everyone laugh, and used his popularity to hide the fact he can't even read or write.  

The fact either of them ended up in Parliament proves that a) our electoral system is not fit for purpose and b) that most voters should, on no account, ever be allowed to vote again.

Both the main parties are reluctant to introduce PR, as they feel it might work against them, and it probably would.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

I watched it and found her speech to bad. She is not a gifted speaker and doesn`t have charisma.

I noticed that following the demonstrators she looked like she was going to cry. She looked like she was going to cry the day before too when a Sky News journalist gave her a roasting. I don't like leaders that blubber when they receive feedback which they don't like.

I`m confused what you are trying to say about the UK`s credit rating because its AAA.

Her economic policies are ideological not pragmatic. She needs to deal with inflation before going full blown Tory on the economy or the party will lose the next election.

Bring back Boris!

 Fitch downgraded it to AA- yesterday following Liz's speech. Not enough explanation of her policies, apparently.

Edited by pellinore
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Essan said:

Truss comes across as a little schoolgirl doing work experience, when she'd rather be at home playing with her dolls.  She'll probably end up as a secretary for the boss of a medium sized local business, when she grows up.

Boris was just the class clown, who makes everyone laugh, and used his popularity to hide the fact he can't even read or write.  

The fact either of them ended up in Parliament proves that a) our electoral system is not fit for purpose and b) that most voters should, on no account, ever be allowed to vote again.

Truss is a classic liberal who turned Tory later in life. But her economics are still liberal, and liberal regardless of what is going on in the economy and consumer households around her. A liberal ostrich!!!

Boris is lethally competent but hides it by playing the clown. He also likes a drink when he shouldn`t, hence why he got sacked. But of the two he is far better than Truss. He does Keynesian economics, and he`s a Tory. Outstanding. I suspect that might be the real reason they got rid of him.

But Keynesian is exactly what the UK needs at the moment, Keynesian combined with factoring in what is going on elsewhere around the world.

Edited by Cookie Monster
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/6/2022 at 2:50 PM, Cookie Monster said:

But of the two he is far better than Truss. He does Keynesian economics, and he`s a Tory. Outstanding. I suspect that might be the real reason they got rid of him.

But Keynesian is exactly what the UK needs at the moment, Keynesian combined with factoring in what is going on elsewhere around the world.

Boris is still popular with the public. It was the Tories who got rid of him, specifically his own government who resigned en masse as they felt he would lose them the next election due to the public being unhappy at his constant lies. The public couldn't care less about his fondness for booze or cake, and I think if he had owned up to it at the beginning it would have blown over.

Liz's problem is that she has fundamentally changed the government's direction. Boris was always splashing the cash (or had the reputation for doing so) and promised to "level up", spend on deprived areas and so on, whereas Liz is tightening the purse strings on public spending. She might have got away with that, except at the same time as taking away £1500 from the very poorest, she was giving £5500 to the very richest through tax cuts. 

Not allowing the OBR to cost the budget was another error. The world markets don't like trusting mavericks with their money.

It will be interesting to see her next move.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, pellinore said:

Boris is still popular with the public. It was the Tories who got rid of him, specifically his own government who resigned en masse as they felt he would lose them the next election due to the public being unhappy at his constant lies. The public couldn't care less about his fondness for booze or cake, and I think if he had owned up to it at the beginning it would have blown over.

Liz's problem is that she has fundamentally changed the government's direction. Boris was always splashing the cash (or had the reputation for doing so) and promised to "level up", spend on deprived areas and so on, whereas Liz is tightening the purse strings on public spending. She might have got away with that, except at the same time as taking away £1500 from the very poorest, she was giving £5500 to the very richest through tax cuts. 

Not allowing the OBR to cost the budget was another error. The world markets don't like trusting mavericks with their money.

It will be interesting to see her next move.

 

The challenge for her is to balance the budget, bring down the national debt, reduce inflation, and do so without reducing growth.

Suspend Foreign Aid: Thats £14.5 billion saved every year.

Unemployment Benefits: Make them work one day a week for their benefits, in a government assigned job. Put them into jobs that are hard to fill because no one else wants to do them. Work them hard to encourage them to find a proper job.

Criminal Offenders: Calculate the cost of a crime from investigating it to keeping them locked up to the damage they have done. Make the offender pay it back. Strip their assets. If they still owe, then take their Saturdays and Sundays away to do government assigned jobs. Work them hard to encourage them never to offend again for as many years as it takes. The prison service costs us £4.5 billion per year and most of that should be reclaimable.

Energy Sector: It is ridiculous that we would prioritise the construction of expense green energy solutions instead of going for the cheapest per kilowatt hour which is nuclear power. To combat global warming, it is far more efficient to spend £1 billion once constructing a plant that removes CO2 from the atmosphere rather than knacker up our economy with higher energy costs. More nuclear power means less oil and gas being used bringing down their cost.

Military Construction Projects: Pretend we are in wartime and rush construction some new oil rigs. Put them in the North Sea and increase our production of oil and gas. Legalise Fracking and put the military at work rush constructed fracking rigs. We can easily be an exporter, let us capitalise on the global high energy costs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some have a more upbeat view on Truss and her economic idea. 

Dimon has a bit of a cult following in the financial world.

No doubt the ONS, IFS will ignore this type of input.  ;)

The UK trying this approach and going it alone on tax cuts and spending only upsets some as it can then be used as a comparison to their own economic plan. 

Where before they could say no one else did anything different as it was thought unsuitable.

If the UK plan works better there is no place to hide for the naysayers. 

Then there is the argument that an ex EU member can respond to changes more quickly, something many in Europe will not want to see demonstrated. 

 

Edited by L.A.T.1961
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

A second U-turn is underway: Politics latest: Liz Truss to hold news conference today as 'deal done' over second mini-budget U-turn | Politics News | Sky News

So, when a leader makes an error of judgement the first time it can be forgiven. But when they make an error of judgement over fixing the first error of judgement then credibility starts to wane.

For the Chancellor it suggests being trapped in models while ignoring the economic impact on voters. Either due to lack of political experience or placing ideology above the position of the UK economy.

For the PM it suggests a lack of political experience. To move the country to business first requires a gradual process. Initially the country's economic position needs improving due to the cost-of-living crises and high inflation. She has listened to her Chancellor and jumped in at the deep end with business first. Rather than spend a few years gradually moving the UK across.

I expect the Chancellor to be sacked immediately, and I suspect the PM will be gone early next year. I think further mistakes will come from her lack of political experience and I`m going to predict Boris will be back as PM next year.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tory MPs have started submitting their no confidence letters to their leader selection committee.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just one in ten Britons have a favourable opinion of the prime minister

A new YouGov survey, conducted between 14-16 October, reveals that just 10% of Britons have a favourable impression of Truss, down from 15% in a previous survey on 11-12 October.

Four out of five British adults (80%) now view Truss unfavourably with 62% who see her very unfavourably.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/10/18/liz-trusss-net-favourability-rating-falls-70

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's still more than a hundred times the number - 0.08% - who actually voted for her to be the Prime Minister. What a spectacle the UK has become!!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/14/2022 at 11:51 AM, Cookie Monster said:

 

I expect the Chancellor to be sacked immediately, and I suspect the PM will be gone early next year. I think further mistakes will come from her lack of political experience and I`m going to predict Boris will be back as PM next year.

You were right, the Chancellor was sacked. She may be gone before the New Year. Boris can't make a comeback, as he is still being investigated by the Conduct Committee for lying to Parliament and may not be a PM in a few weeks. Also half of the electorate wouldn't accept him, and the Tory party would have difficulty forming a government with him as over 50 MPs including ministers resigned when he refused to stand down.

A number of polls suggest the Tories wouldn't even be the Opposition Party if there was a GE, one poll even suggesting they would win only 2 seats in total.

It is difficult to know what they can do next to avoid a GE. Since they have made the cost of living crisis so much worse (adding several hundred pounds a month to the average mortage (which has a knock on effect of raising rents), and tanking the pound making government borrowing more expensive) more weeks of in-fighting and playing musical chairs with ministerial posts will not play well with the public.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

That's still more than a hundred times the number - 0.08% - who actually voted for her to be the Prime Minister. What a spectacle the UK has become!!

It seems as if the UK is not a laughing stock, most world commentators just think we have lost our collective minds and pity us:'How's Brexit going?' British politics mocked at home and abroad (msn.com)

Edited by pellinore
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, pellinore said:

You were right, the Chancellor was sacked. She may be gone before the New Year. Boris can't make a comeback, as he is still being investigated by the Conduct Committee for lying to Parliament and may not be a PM in a few weeks. Also half of the electorate wouldn't accept him, and the Tory party would have difficulty forming a government with him as over 50 MPs including ministers resigned when he refused to stand down.

A number of polls suggest the Tories wouldn't even be the Opposition Party if there was a GE, one poll even suggesting they would win only 2 seats in total.

It is difficult to know what they can do next to avoid a GE. Since they have made the cost of living crisis so much worse (adding several hundred pounds a month to the average mortage (which has a knock on effect of raising rents), and tanking the pound making government borrowing more expensive) more weeks of in-fighting and playing musical chairs with ministerial posts will not play well with the public.

If a snap GE was called (which wouldn`t happen) then Labour would win, and the Tories would be the main opposition. It would be a lot closer than you would imagine.

But if Boris returns (and I think he will) I think you`ll find he would win a GE but not with the same large majority. Labour aren`t that good at the moment, their leader is poor, their policies are poor, and neither are why they are up in the polls. It`s the unpopularity of Truss driving it.

Most people don`t care that Boris had a few drinks during lockdown.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

 

Most people don`t care that Boris had a few drinks during lockdown.

You are right, no one cares about that. But that is not why he is being investigated by the Commons Committee, and why his government resigned and forced him out, and it is not why half the population at least couldn't tolerate him back.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

If a snap GE was called (which wouldn`t happen) then Labour would win, and the Tories would be the main opposition. It would be a lot closer than you would imagine.

But if Boris returns (and I think he will) I think you`ll find he would win a GE but not with the same large majority. Labour aren`t that good at the moment, their leader is poor, their policies are poor, and neither are why they are up in the polls. It`s the unpopularity of Truss driving it.

Most people don`t care that Boris had a few drinks during lockdown.

I can't decide whose government is the most entertaining, Liz's or Boris's! Say what you like about their statesmanship, which is non-existant, their entertainment value is top-notch! If they hadn't cost us all so much money through their ineptitude we could have them rotating as PMs for the next few years just for the laughs!

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, pellinore said:

I can't decide whose government is the most entertaining, Liz's or Boris's! Say what you like about their statesmanship, which is non-existant, their entertainment value is top-notch! If they hadn't cost us all so much money through their ineptitude we could have them rotating as PMs for the next few years just for the laughs!

Ah yes, Boris is going to run. Watch and behold!!!!

And when the GE comes and he wins we will all see that not many people were actually bothered about his partying, because, well we were all doing it too!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.