Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US splashes $290m on anti-radiation drugs after Putin ups nuclear threats

WVK

It's good to be prepared. But it's also sad we even have to think about being prepared for something like that 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

It's good to be prepared. But it's also sad we even have to think about being prepared for something like that 

@Knob Oddy what are you confused about? My comment seemed pretty vanilla 

I'd never heard of this drug before.  I thought the hype was over purchasing 290 million dollars worth of iodine tablets.  This medication seems to be effective in boosting platelet counts in people whose marrow gets slammed by ionizing radiation.  There's nothing wrong with trying to be prepared but a nuke exploding on U.S. soil probably isn't going to be a disaster that is limited to high radiation doses.  There will be a LOT of other, far more serious after effects.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, and-then said:

I'd never heard of this drug before.  I thought the hype was over purchasing 290 million dollars worth of iodine tablets.  This medication seems to be effective in boosting platelet counts in people whose marrow gets slammed by ionizing radiation.  There's nothing wrong with trying to be prepared but a nuke exploding on U.S. soil probably isn't going to be a disaster that is limited to high radiation doses.  There will be a LOT of other, far more serious after effects.

Say goodbye to global warming, say hello to nuclear winter.

I am a prepper, for natural disasters and such, to a modest degree, but if they want to toss nukes around I'm gonna kick back and chill and not worry further. 

Stupid games, stupid prizes for the winners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I recall decades ago hearing stories about the gov/mil would pay like 500 for a hammer or 2k for a toilet seat so they arent bright and waste $$$ but i highly doubt this buy has much if anything to do with putin talking about going nuke it does make for a fun CT idea.

We are safe from Russia and their nukes it’s a threat that they know for a fact would end with their own ass in a sling. Or a hole depending on where they are standing when it arrives. But North Korea is a different story that little fat POS would sacrifice the whole planet to remain leader of his kingdom. His daddy didn’t care and he doesn’t. So anything he threatens he means it and would let this whole planet die to prove it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, and-then said:

Here’s the problem with iodine tablets, first they only protect your thyroid gland from absorbing radioactive iodine.  Outside of that they don’t provide any other protection to other organs or glads in the human body. if you don’t already have the medication in your system and you ingest radioactive iodine it’s most likely too late and use of iodine tablets would not be effective.

Nplate is also not a complete fix either, if someone is exposed to a high dose of Gama Radiation it will kill your bone marrow where all blood cells and platelets are produced. If one’s bone marrow is irradiated with a high enough does or radiation to kill it this medication will do you no good.

This medication has been used for many years for treating people with blood disorders, testing done on mice after full body irradiation gave those effected approximately a 40% survival rate to those untreated. It’s also necessary to take into account that the mice where treated almost immediately after irradiation.

So I don’t see the purpose of this drug purchase because in the event of a Nuclear Burst on an American City I doubt only a single city would be attacked. Both of those medications may be great for a terrorist dirty bomb attack, but that’s the only thing I can see the purchase was made for. Last like all medications Nplate has an expiration date based upon production so keeping this medication in the Strategic Stock Pile will require monitoring and replacement at regular intervals and it must be refrigerated at all times.

In conclusion I believe the Purchase of this medication was made do to an upgraded threat of a Terrorist Dirty Bomb Attack on an American city, or possibly a Nuclear Power Plant release not because of any threat of Global Nuclear War.

JIMHO

• Thanks 2