Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Marijuana reform

the13bats

t0251.gif.4538946b4282585b9365df95e9886578.gif

marijuana reform

smiley_popcorn.gif.5a89c843c9c41da25550b2bc3c4c29f6.gif

Edited by the13bats
shortened link
  • Like 8
  • Sad 1

The thing is the vast majority of people incarcerated for “possession” plead down from a charge of trafficking, distribution or other drug related offense, I’ve even heard of people selling hard drugs and pleading the charge down to a marijuana charge. The idea that first offenders are getting busted with a little weed and going to prison just isn’t the whole story. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Too funny like anyone pays attention to "what i heard" from a source that lacks credibility.

Proof to support claims? Ill wait.

leaving.gif.b57024a27058dbd02429058301f5ecab.gif

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Too funny like anyone pays attention to "what i heard" from a source that lacks credibility.

Proof to support claims? Ill wait.

leaving.gif.b57024a27058dbd02429058301f5ecab.gif

Like you've never accepted a plea deal? :rolleyes:  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, el midgetron said:

The thing is the vast majority of people incarcerated for “possession” plead down from a charge of trafficking, distribution or other drug related offense, I’ve even heard of people selling hard drugs and pleading the charge down to a marijuana charge. The idea that first offenders are getting busted with a little weed and going to prison just isn’t the whole story. 

I assume this is to prevent that:

I have directed the Attorney General to develop an administrative process for the issuance of certificates of pardon to eligible individuals. 

If they plead down they probably aren't eligible.  Just a guess on my part.

If that's the case this should get about ten people out. :yes:

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 5

The irony is that Biden is partially responsible for many of these draconian laws in the first place, but if he finally wants to right those wrongs, I'll support him on that. The war on drugs was never meant to be won. 

Go after hard drugs all you want, but cannabis? Psychedelics? Psilocybin containing mushrooms? Why? And the federal government has never helped despite all these politicians promising this and that; new legislation was always enacted via grassroots efforts and people saying enough is enough. 

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone actually against cannabis anymore. Just legalize it and, I hate to say it, tax it in brick and mortar stores, but also let people grow their own. 

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

The irony is that Biden is partially responsible for many of these draconian laws in the first place, but if he finally wants to right those wrongs, I'll support him on that. The war on drugs was never meant to be won. 

Go after hard drugs all you want, but cannabis? Psychedelics? Psilocybin containing mushrooms? Why? And the federal government has never helped despite all these politicians promising this and that; new legislation was always enacted via grassroots efforts and people saying enough is enough. 

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone actually against cannabis anymore. Just legalize it and, I hate to say it, tax it in brick and mortar stores, but also let people grow their own. 

Nobody will grow their own.  It's legal here and way cheaper than it used to be.  That's like growing your own tobacco or brewing your own beer.  Why?  It's in the store around the corner.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Nobody will grow their own.  It's legal here and way cheaper than it used to be.  That's like growing your own tobacco or brewing your own beer.  Why?  It's in the store around the corner.

Oh its getting grown lol...but the dumbest thing you can possibly do is tell someone else about it. It's very rewarding if you like that kind of thing. 

Agree with what you said, still, and that's because there are really some amazing growers with some incredible genetics now. I use mostly type 2 flower, which are equal quantities cbd and thc. I live in an illegal state but this flower is still legal due to the farm bill, and South Carolina, Tennessee and North Carolina all grow some of the most beautiful hemp flower I've ever seen that smells, looks and tastes better than any medical grade I've ever had. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Like you've never accepted a plea deal? :rolleyes:  

No, i have not been in that situation, have you?

Edited by the13bats
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

Oh its getting grown lol...but the dumbest thing you can possibly do is tell someone else about it. It's very rewarding if you like that kind of thing. 

Agree with what you said, still, and that's because there are really some amazing growers with some incredible genetics now. I use mostly type 2 flower, which are equal quantities cbd and thc. I live in an illegal state but this flower is still legal due to the farm bill, and South Carolina, Tennessee and North Carolina all grow some of the most beautiful hemp flower I've ever seen that smells, looks and tastes better than any medical grade I've ever had. 

Ive known a lot of people who do enjoy brewing their own beer,  they take a pride in it,  and sure do hate "prem beer" at the quick stop. i cant recall knowing anyone who grew weed but i suspect it would be the same especially now days that a home grower is doing it because its a passion,

In a way the same way i will rebuild a car from tge ground up.

Tobacco? Not much point in home growing it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, the13bats said:

No, i have not been in that situation, have you?

Who, me? :unsure:

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Right.  We have more marijuana dispensaries than McDonalds in our city.  And the state has a new source of revenue that has created a huge budget surplus.

• Like 5

Old cynical me.  On the face of it, it is good.  It is legal here in Oregon and I think the revenue comes in pretty handy for the state.  But I wonder if this isn't just another political strategy. Is Biden hoping the Republicans will be vocal and against it? It would be another division between Dems and Repubs.  Abortion, climate change, pot, and student loans all are attractive to a different demographic than those that oppose those things.  Biden may be hoping for another way to get young people out to vote as they are a growing demographic while older people are dying off.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Old cynical me.  On the face of it, it is good.  It is legal here in Oregon and I think the revenue comes in pretty handy for the state.  But I wonder if this isn't just another political strategy. Is Biden hoping the Republicans will be vocal and against it? It would be another division between Dems and Repubs.  Abortion, climate change, pot, and student loans all are attractive to a different demographic than those that oppose those things.  Biden may be hoping for another way to get young people out to vote as they are a growing demographic while older people are dying off.

I think a lot of republicans are calling for weed to be legal too now.  Realistically probably more people are for that than abortion.

• Like 4

Republicans haven't been vocally against weed for years now, but they fall under an umbrella that keeps it illegal. Even in my state, even most cops don't care that much, but law enforcement lobbyists will tell you straight up that they'd lose their jobs if much of this became legal. 

Edited by HandsomeGorilla
  • Like 2

Speaking as a retired cop, the pot laws never made sense to me. I always felt that pot should be treated like alcohol far as impairment or possession goes. It made me mad that a person with a baggie in their pocket got in more trouble than a drunk driver for much of my career. ... and no, I never did arrest or write up anyone for simply that. Also, no, I did not smoke it or get into that myself. 

Happily, drunk driving got taken way more seriously but it has taken a while for simple pot possession or impairment to get sane IMO. On the face of it, this is a good idea, but, I am cynical as to why he is doing this now. 

Like most "reform" the devil is in the details. We'll see, I guess.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Who, me? :unsure:

Perhaps a better wording would have been "who wouldnt take a plea deal"

My buddy who drank himself to death took deals on his DUIs.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, the13bats said:

Perhaps a better wording would have been "who wouldnt take a plea deal"

My buddy who drank himself to death took deals on his DUIs.

I've never been arrested.  :tu:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Speaking as a retired cop, the pot laws never made sense to me. I always felt that pot should be treated like alcohol far as impairment or possession goes. It made me mad that a person with a baggie in their pocket got in more trouble than a drunk driver for much of my career. ... and no, I never did arrest or write up anyone for simply that. Also, no, I did not smoke it or get into that myself. 

Happily, drunk driving got taken way more seriously but it has taken a while for simple pot possession or impairment to get sane IMO. On the face of it, this is a good idea, but, I am cynical as to why he is doing this now. 

Like most "reform" the devil is in the details. We'll see, I guess.

At my club we hired off duty sheriffs and one newbie quit law enforcement because of what he thought was unfair about weed laws and he didnt smoke it.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

When i first saw this i wondered too who might get in knicker knots over it, out in the world i dont see many people care who blows weed the club paito and out front is full of people puffing away, cops walk right by as most people who do it have their weed card.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

Republicans haven't been vocally against weed for years now, but they fall under an umbrella that keeps it illegal. Even in my state, even most cops don't care that much, but law enforcement lobbyists will tell you straight up that they'd lose their jobs if much of this became legal. 

How will they loose their jobs?   Are you saying in your area there is so little crime that the law enforcement has to arrest people in possession of marijuana to justify their jobs?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, the13bats said:

At my club we hired off duty sheriffs and one newbie quit law enforcement because of what he thought was unfair about weed laws and he didnt smoke it.

He needed to go then. You have to know the law better than most attorneys do and you have to be willing to enforce it as you see fit and will justify, plus sleep well when you are off. It is like the whole gun/shoot thing. If you do not feel ok with it, the wrong time to sort that out is not when you have to draw the weapon. At the end of the day, I have to answer to myself re my career and what I have done and I am ok with every bit of it but one encounter with a homeless guy I still feel bad about. I was not wrong, however, I should have just not seen him and kept driving.

If the guy discovered he felt insecure over deciding what and when to charge someone, then yeah, not for him, which says nothing at all bad about him. You are messing with a person's life, and it is no joke. 

It is a good thing to learn your inner truths and strengths and flaws and deal, IMO.

• Like 4

Was that screams of anguish I heard from for profit prisons? 

Congrats my American friends. It's about time. Puff puff pass.

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

Yah, we had the same in Canada. The voters shut them up fast. Haven't heard a whimper since the cash started flowing into gov't coffers. 

Congrats again to my American friends. 

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 4