Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

2 Russians seek asylum after reaching remote Alaska island

OverSword

JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) — Two Russians who said they fled the country to avoid compulsory military service have requested asylum in the U.S. after landing on a remote Alaska island in the Bering Sea, Alaska U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski’s office said Thursday.

Karina Borger, a Murkowski spokesperson, by email said the office has been in communication with the U.S. Coast Guard and Customs and Border Protection and that “the Russian nationals reported that they fled one of the coastal communities on the east coast of Russia to avoid compulsory military service.”

Link

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I saw this on ABC news tonight. The Governor of Alaska says he isn't sure if more will try to leave Russia through the Bering Strait. According to CNN also, they are now in Anchorage and have been screened and vetted and then processed according to US Immigration laws. It sounds like they will be granted asylum. 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/06/politics/russians-alaska-asylum-avoid-draft-ukraine/index.html

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Gromdor said:

People forget that Russia is only 2.3 miles away from the US.

I mean… Sarah Palin can see Russia from her house ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

She's watching out for those illegal Inuit Immigrants. :unsure2:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

LOL, That was Tina Fey impersonating Sarah Palin. Pity she lost the election over in Alaska recently.  She would have made for so much more comedic fodder. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1