Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ten dead after Donegal petrol station explosion

Still Waters

Nine people are now confirmed to have died after a huge explosion at a petrol station in County Donegal.

The explosion happened at an Applegreen service station in the village of Creeslough on Friday afternoon.

Gardaí (Irish police) said three fatalities were confirmed on Friday, the others on Saturday morning.

Eight people were also taken to hospital after the blast. The search operation at the site has now become a recovery mission.

The blast destroyed the building and a section of an apartment building.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63183510

• Sad 8

My first reaction is...this was no accident...gas stations don't just blow up.

How very sad and tragic.  

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, joc said:

How very sad and tragic.  

There doesn't appear to have been any secondary destruction from fire.  That seems odd to me.

• Like 3

A girl is among 10 people confirmed dead following an explosion at a petrol station in Donegal, in what has been described as a "freak accident".

The victims are four men, three women, a teenage boy, a teenage girl, and a primary school aged girl.

Search and rescue efforts are continuing but police have said they are not expecting further casualties.

A Garda spokesman also said there are "no outstanding reports of unaccounted for persons".

https://news.sky.com/story/seven-dead-in-petrol-station-blast-in-donegal-12715168

• Sad 2

• The title was changed to Ten dead after Donegal petrol station explosion

From the pictures provided it seems to me the explosion was in the attached store or the flats above, coincidentally at what was also a petrol station.  Early thoughts are that it might have been a gas leak within the domestic supply.  Very sad, whatever the cause.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, joc said:

How very sad and tragic.  

Hi Joc

Nor rally as even on a hot day when you get higher concentrations of Vapour near the pump even a cell phone can cause ignition or bumping two pieces of metal and causing a spark. Here if you end up where the pump doesn’t stop you have to get mats from the attendant to pick up any spillage as well as spread some granulated powder.

• Like 1