Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What are you afraid of?

DarkWoods

Hi everyone. I am an aspiring horror author nterested in writing creepy and disturbing stories. 

To help me find new story ideas and inspiration, I would like to know what scares or creeps you. It can be some type of people, animals, monsters, places (cabins, asylum …), sounds, blood, deep forests, being isolated, the complete silence …

Thanks for helping me!

• Like 3

:ph34r: i see dead people.       Wait...............been done.

Aliens taking over planet Earth by stealth.         wait.....happening.

Evil Government killing everyone by claiming there is an evil virus spreading all over the world.        wait.......been done.

Evil Government claiming everyone needs a vac to save them from extinction?       Wait....   Happening.

New electric cars that are saving the planet......................they all explode and kill people................wait..... happening.

Can we have some good stories??:lol:

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, DarkWoods said:

Hi everyone. I am an aspiring horror author nterested in writing creepy and disturbing stories. 

To help me find new story ideas and inspiration, I would like to know what scares or creeps you. It can be some type of people, animals, monsters, places (cabins, asylum …), sounds, blood, deep forests, being isolated, the complete silence …

Thanks for helping me!

The only thing I remember really being afraid of was loosing everything and being homeless.   I don't have that fear now that my life has settled down.   But I guess, I have just had an easy life, or am a little bit crazy.   Maybe I am scary myself so I don't have anything to be afraid of.   I hope you get some inspiration but I would be interested in understanding why you want to write horror.   

Maybe this will help.  My drug addict cousin used to go all over the country hitch hiking and she would never accept a ride from anyone in a nice car.   She had one bad experience and was able to escape but it left her very cautious about who she accepted a ride from.   What happened to her could have been a horror story.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 4

Jeez @DarkWoods  You got my mind rolling now.  I remember a story my aunt told me about my grandmother, she went on a date with a guy and instead of taking her to a cafe in town he headed out of town, not towards the city but away from everything.  It was mountainous road and he couldn't drive very fast.  She told him to take her home but he just laughed at her, so when he took his foot off the gas to shift down she jumped out of the car and rolled into a ravine.  She hid while he stopped and looked for her, then when he finally left she had to climb down a hill and trudge through a field to a farm house to ask for help.   It was a silmilar story for my cousin who jumped out of the car except the guy pulled over to get her in the back seat and she jumped out and ran away, it was the middle of the night and they were on a highway miles from any town.  He drove after her and she rolled down a hill and hid in a gully where he couldn't drive his car.    I was thinking that those men needed something to scare the hell out of them.  Maybe you could start with something like that.  The women are the scary ones to ususpecting rapists.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Thanks 1

I'm afraid of the movie "Alive". Every time I browser the TV channels, I'm afraid I'll run into that movie. What scares me the most is that the film is based on a the real event.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

I'm afraid of the movie "Alive". Every time I browser the TV channels, I'm afraid I'll run into that movie. What scares me the most is that the film is based on a the real event.

is that about the  movie about a baby that was  born? it sure did scare me {)

Edited by docyabut2

1 hour ago, jethrofloyd said:

Eating your dead friends:lol:  Shamans know that in order to eat humans one first has to boil the flesh to remove the spirit otherwise one gets the spirit in the body and can play havoc with you.   Liken to a body having other peoples body parts, you literally turn into that which one was, you take on their personality and traits.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, docyabut2 said:

that movie was the first movie that made me so afraid:(  

I never saw it.  I was in high school and I don't like scary movies.  My cousin saw it and tried to tell me about it but I told her to be quiet.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Ell said:

narcissists

psychopaths

sociopaths

I agree with you. Most of the time, the real monsters are our neighbours, friends, coworkers …

6 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

The only thing I remember really being afraid of was loosing everything and being homeless.   I don't have that fear now that my life has settled down.   But I guess, I have just had an easy life, or am a little bit crazy.   Maybe I am scary myself so I don't have anything to be afraid of.   I hope you get some inspiration but I would be interested in understanding why you want to write horror.   

Maybe this will help.  My drug addict cousin used to go all over the country hitch hiking and she would never accept a ride from anyone in a nice car.   She had one bad experience and was able to escape but it left her very cautious about who she accepted a ride from.   What happened to her could have been a horror story.

It happenned also to an ex-coworker. She had to jump from a car or a truck.

5 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Jeez @DarkWoods  You got my mind rolling now.  I remember a story my aunt told me about my grandmother, she went on a date with a guy and instead of taking her to a cafe in town he headed out of town, not towards the city but away from everything.  It was mountainous road and he couldn't drive very fast.  She told him to take her home but he just laughed at her, so when he took his foot off the gas to shift down she jumped out of the car and rolled into a ravine.  She hid while he stopped and looked for her, then when he finally left she had to climb down a hill and trudge through a field to a farm house to ask for help.   It was a silmilar story for my cousin who jumped out of the car except the guy pulled over to get her in the back seat and she jumped out and ran away, it was the middle of the night and they were on a highway miles from any town.  He drove after her and she rolled down a hill and hid in a gully where he couldn't drive his car.    I was thinking that those men needed something to scare the hell out of them.  Maybe you could start with something like that.  The women are the scary ones to ususpecting rapists.

Thank for the idea. I will think about that. A revenge story.

I have made a list of things I could use in a story by reading the news and articles about crimes and unexplained things.

4 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

Do you know what? I think that today or tomorrow will be the 50th anniversary of this story. There was a story about this in the news.

What scares me about this story is when I look to the landscape in which they were trapped. Very high mountains, snow, ice and rocks. That’s it.

4 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

is that about the  movie about a baby that was  born? it sure did scare me {)

What was this movie about?

3 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

that movie really made me afraid,  

3 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

that movie was the first movie that made me so afraid:(  

This was a good movie but I was not afraid when I watched it the first time. A creepy movie I like is The Shining. 

• Like 2

Movies don’t really scare me. 
Im not afraid of dying, I’m afraid of dying painfully. :lol:

I guess I have the normal fears of losing loved ones.

My other fears include getting stuck in a small, tight crevice in a cave and scuba diving in a cave and running out of air with no place to surface. These are irrational fears since I’d never do either of these things. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Being completly gaslighted and treated like Reek ( GoTs ) by the one person you care about.

• Sad 1

Having to go to hospital (even for a routine examination).   The whole idea terrifies me!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SecretSanta said:

Movies don’t really scare me. 
Im not afraid of dying, I’m afraid of dying painfully. :lol:

I guess I have the normal fears of losing loved ones.

My other fears include getting stuck in a small, tight crevice in a cave and scuba diving in a cave and running out of air with no place to surface. These are irrational fears since I’d never do either of these things. 

:passifier: I Agree.

Closed off spaces.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, the13bats said:

Being completly gaslighted and treated like Reek ( GoTs ) by the one person you care about.

What do you mean exactly? Sorry, my first english is french.

1 hour ago, docyabut2 said:

What especially made you scared when you watched this movie? This is exactly what I want to know.

46 minutes ago, Scholar4Truth said:

Closed off spaces.

Did it ever happen to you?

@DarkWoods There is an old movie called Gaslight where a man is lied to and manipulated into thinking he is crazy.    That is where the term comes from.   Usually a gaslighter enlists others to help convince the person they are crazy, when all along they aren't, except for believing lies.   My friend had a husband and daughter who used to do this to her.   My husband attempted it with me, and he started with telling my friends lies about me and then telling me lies about my friends so that he could isolate me.   It didn't work because my friends were close and told me the things he said, they had known me longer than he had.   But there are many ways to go about it, the first step is isolating the person you are gaslighting so that it is harder for them to find the truth.

Edited by Desertrat56