Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

90's kids pastimes

Scholar4Truth

As a 90's kid, some of my favorite times growing up:

1. Blockbuster- It was always fun renting movies/video games on the weekends and ordering a Pizza

2. The beginning of the internet era- Something nostalgic about logging on the internet and hearing the sound of an AOL Dial Up Modem

3. Playing Doom on PC

4.  Pokemon Cards

5. School Books where you had to use Grocery Paper Bags as covers to protect your Textbooks

6. Watching the Nick At Night/Orange Coach on Friday Nights ie Are you Afraid of the Dark, Clarissa Explains It All, etc.

7. TGIF on Friday nights

These are just a few of my memories what are some of your's?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I was a late 80's early 90's kid

1. blockbuster/Taco bell Friday night was always something to look forward to

2. walking the railroad tracks out of town even though I was not supposed to go near them

3, delivering the daily newspapers, not really a past time but a job, though its not one that is as prominent as it used to be

4. riding bikes out of town down to the swamps, even though I was supposed to stay off of those roads

5. playing outside on summer nights until the street lights came on

6. playing kick the can, freeze tag, and all the variants of countless street games 

7. trying to capture my favorite songs on a cassette tape for the ultimate mixed tape...lol

8. going to the paintball course and playing in all kinds of weather, it helped that we knew the owners

9. going sledding during the winter months and the local beast of a hill nicknamed "Suicide hill"

10. spending time on the 10 acres my family owned about 45 minutes from town, us kids ran wild there

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The 90's were basically my teen years with that in mind.

1) hanging out with friends.

2) going to the arcade.

3) good TV shows and movies.

4) my first job.

5) Mtv played music videos. 

6) playing Quake, Blood, Duke nukem 3d, on my first "gaming" computer. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I'm Highland Scottish in ancestry, but I grew up in Tempe, Arizona. The 1990s were my adolescent years, and I have many good memories.

Roller blading

School dances 

Listening to the top 40 on FM radio. It was always Casey Kasem.

Watching music videos 

Sega Genesis, Sonic the Hedgehog video games

Going to music stores such as Strawberries and Sam Goody to buy cassette singles 

House parties 

Going to the cinemas 

Collecting treasure trolls 

Watching Flash Forward

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I was born in 85' so have memories of that decade. I wasn't particularly interested in youth culture though despite being a youth. I watched a lot of television targeted at an adult audience. I would roam through the four channels early in the morning, captivated by natural history and science documentaries. Late at night I would be entranced by black and white foreign language films and old Hollywood B movies. What strikes me is how infantile and vapid modern culture is compared to the 80s/90s. None of the programming I remember from that era would be watched now and it is almost entirely absent from media and televisual platforms. It has been replaced with empty spectacle and thuggish modern people expressing dull modern attitudes. 

Edited by localism
why?