Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Just Stop Oil activists throw soup at Van Gogh’s Sunflowers at London Gallery

Still Waters

Activists from Just Stop Oil have thrown tomato soup over Vincent van Gogh’s Sunflowers at the National Gallery in London.

There were gasps, roars and a shout of “Oh my gosh!” in room 43 of the gallery as two young supporters of the climate protest group threw the liquid over the painting, which is protected by glass, just after 11am.

They removed jackets to reveal Just Stop Oil T-shirts before gluing themselves to the wall beneath the artwork, which is one of the gallery’s most important treasures.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/oct/14/just-stop-oil-activists-throw-soup-at-van-goghs-sunflowers

• Haha 1
  • Sad 7

Saw this on the telly last night.

Absolutely shameful. Doesn't help their cause at all. It damages it. 

Not exactly a cheap painting. The damage cost won't be cheap. I wonder if they will still think it was worth it when that comes about.

• Like 7

Okay. Enough is enough! :angry: I am on my way up to London to do a LOT of leg-slapping.

@acuteYou want to come with me and do some punching?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

49 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

Activists from Just Stop Oil have thrown tomato soup over Vincent van Gogh’s Sunflowers at the National Gallery in London.

There were gasps, roars and a shout of “Oh my gosh!” in room 43 of the gallery as two young supporters of the climate protest group threw the liquid over the painting, which is protected by glass, just after 11am.

They removed jackets to reveal Just Stop Oil T-shirts before gluing themselves to the wall beneath the artwork, which is one of the gallery’s most important treasures.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/oct/14/just-stop-oil-activists-throw-soup-at-van-goghs-sunflowers

Valued at £72.5 million.

The maximum sentence in the UK for criminal damage is 10 years. Give them both 10 years.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Valued at £72.5 million.

The maximum sentence in the UK for criminal damage is 10 years. Give them both 10 years.

It is not the monetary value, imo. It is just the destructiveness. Destroying something other people value doesn't advance their cause, whatever it is.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, ChewiesArmy said:

Take the painting down to get repaired. Put a curtain around the display area and the two geniuses. Ignore them. They are glued to the wall. Let them stand there like idiots realizing nobody cares for these tactics. They will soon have to go to the bathroom, eat, or will tire standing. If they are still there at closing time, close the museum then call the police for trespassing and then they can add in the vandalism.

Any time these idiots glue themselves to something, I'd just throw up a curtain and ignore them and let them realize they are stuck and nobody cares. Maybe when they are rethinking their tactics, they will realize they should target governments and the oil companies, but they still won't get anywhere. 

Glue them to the wall for 10 years.

A plan will need to be put together to keep them alive with food and water. They will start to stink quite badly too. Some way of hiding the smell would be needed. No clothing changes until they fall off them and glue them back to the wall straight after.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think those people should not be allowed access to the internet or any television news, nor access to any smart phones.   Give them land lines and gardens and sunday socials with their neighbors.

And since they are against Oil they can trade their cars in for bicycles and not be allowed to ride any mass transit, train, bus, uber, taxi, motorcycle, nothing.  Get there by bike or don't go.

P.S.  I forgot, what kind of heat do they use, that needs to be taken away too, since electricity in most places involves oil of some sort or natural gas which is a by product of the oil extraction.   What else do we use petroleum products for?   zip loc bags and any plastic (except the plant based plastic that is hard to find).   

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 4

Ideologically possessed.  It's become my favorite expression to describe extremist behavior.  To me it describes people that are irrational and can not be treated as though they are. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ouija ouija said:

Okay. Enough is enough! :angry: I am on my way up to London to do a LOT of leg-slapping.

@acuteYou want to come with me and do some punching?

I'd love to, but I can't.

My hands are still bandaged up, after last week's Conservative Party Conference.

:(

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Ideologically possessed.  It's become my favorite expression to describe extremist behavior.  To me it describes people that are irrational and can not be treated as though they are. 

They seem more like zombies to me, not thought at all, just some single minded virus like thought.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

they look like complete nitwits. I’m surprised they could even work the can opener.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, pellinore said:

It is not the monetary value, imo. It is just the destructiveness. Destroying something other people value doesn't advance their cause, whatever it is.

I don't understand how they don't see this for themselves.  Between this and shutting down traffic, they are just causing anger towards themselves, not gaining comrads for their cause.   Closed minds just breeds more ignorance 

• Like 3

This sucks.  What’s wrong with people?  You destroy art to protest your own political views?  BS.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

I don't understand how they don't see this for themselves.  Between this and shutting down traffic, they are just causing anger towards themselves, not gaining comrads for their cause.   Closed minds just breeds more ignorance 

Zombies don't think.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ChewiesArmy said:

Take the painting down to get repaired.

not only that, but transport it is a big gas guzzling truck and make them watch it drive away.  Publish that what they did cause the burning of more oil so that their buddies can look down on them.

• Like 1

This is heartbreaking. One of my favorite paintings by one of my favorite artists.

F F S...with the world facing so much ugly, let's destroy something of beauty.

Nibs

• Like 3

Looks like they want artists to switch to watercolour paint.

• Haha 2

Just to reassure everyone, the painting is fine. All significant artworks at places like the National Gallery are protected by a layer of glass concealed in the frame to prevent things exactly like this.

Apparently there's some very minor damage to the frame that is easily repaired and none to the painting itself.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Inn Spectre said:

Looks like they want artists to switch to watercolour paint.

If that is the case it is because they have no idea what kind of oil is used in oil paints.  Idiots.   Linseed oil comes from a plant!

https://www.jacksonsart.com/blog/2013/03/12/oils-for-oil-painting/

Edited by Desertrat56

5 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Saw this on the telly last night.

Absolutely shameful. Doesn't help their cause at all. It damages it. 

Not exactly a cheap painting. The damage cost won't be cheap. I wonder if they will still think it was worth it when that comes about.

It wasn't damaged.

One of Van Gogh's famous Sunflowers paintings has been cleaned and is back on display, after climate activists threw tins of what appeared to be tomato soup over it.

London's National Gallery confirmed it is now back in place, about six hours after the soup incident.

Footage showed two people in Just Stop Oil T-shirts opening tins and throwing the contents on the masterpiece before gluing their hands to the wall.

Two people were arrested.

The gallery said earlier the painting was covered by glass and therefore not damaged.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63254878

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm still trying to decide which shows more stupidity. Throwing cans of soup at a painting or gluing their hands to the wall. Both show signs of a well thought out and executed plan.

Why do people think that doing things like this will bring good attention to their cause? 

• Like 5