Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Just Stop Oil activists throw soup at Van Gogh’s Sunflowers at London Gallery

Still Waters

4 minutes ago, susieice said:

I'm still trying to decide which shows more stupidity. Throwing cans of soup at a painting or gluing their hands to the wall. Both show signs of a well thought out and executed plan.

Why do people think that doing things like this will bring good attention to their cause? 

Human nature.

If people think their protestations or yells for help are being ignored, they can do some silly and desperate things.  Some will even kill and maim and feel it's justified.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, susieice said:

I'm still trying to decide which shows more stupidity. Throwing cans of soup at a painting or gluing their hands to the wall. Both show signs of a well thought out and executed plan.

Why do people think that doing things like this will bring good attention to their cause? 

For some people good or bad doesn't come in to it, just attention.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ell said:

Just Stop Tomato Soup!

Does this have something to do with Andy Warhol?  Why tomato soup?  Its not even made with oil. Glue probably is though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Does this have something to do with Andy Warhol?  Why tomato soup?  Its not even made with oil. Glue probably is though.

The unorthodox use of tomato soup sends the viewer on a journey though dark expressionist cacophony.

The addition of the soup draws us into the mania and eventual ego-otoplasty that evolved around the time and place of the original work; and, serves as an occult analog for a greater multilation. The future is in our hands and our fortune can only be revealed with great effort.

mrbeanwhistlersmothermoviespeech.jpg

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Setton said:

Just to reassure everyone, the painting is fine. All significant artworks at places like the National Gallery are protected by a layer of glass concealed in the frame to prevent things exactly like this.

Apparently there's some very minor damage to the frame that is easily repaired and none to the painting itself.

Yup.   Thank you.      What a baffling method ,and target to choose, to bring attention to their cause..:huh:      

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Glue them to the wall for 10 years.

A plan will need to be put together to keep them alive with food and water. They will start to stink quite badly too. Some way of hiding the smell would be needed. No clothing changes until they fall off them and glue them back to the wall straight after.

Easy, tomato soup…that’s what they get. As for the smell, I’m betting they are incense fans, and don’t shower regularly anyway.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, el midgetron said:

they look like complete nitwits. I’m surprised they could even work the can opener.

I’m sure they Googled it.

• Haha 4

****en morons.

People really need lessens in what effective activism is.

Activism is supposed to bring notice to very specific issues by causing problems related to that issue.

For example, rosa parks refusing to move her seat. That was protesting a very specific law and the protest action was related to that law.

Throwing soup at a painting does not bring attention to any specific laws and the painting has no relation to climate change. It's just dumb.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, ChewiesArmy said:

Take the painting down to get repaired. Put a curtain around the display area and the two geniuses. Ignore them. They are glued to the wall. Let them stand there like idiots realizing nobody cares for these tactics. They will soon have to go to the bathroom, eat, or will tire standing. If they are still there at closing time, close the museum then call the police for trespassing and then they can add in the vandalism.

Any time these idiots glue themselves to something, I'd just throw up a curtain and ignore them and let them realize they are stuck and nobody cares. Maybe when they are rethinking their tactics, they will realize they should target governments and the oil companies, but they still won't get anywhere. 

That's hilarious. 

But not without merit........ :ph34r:

Maybe pay per view? Raise money to pay for damages and tighter security. 

14 hours ago, Ell said:

Just Stop Tomato Soup!

The only thing that’ll stop a bad guy with tomato soup is a good guy with tomato soup!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

12 hours ago, susieice said:

The pink hair is a dead giveaway. 

• Haha 4

They drove away in their gas-powered car to their coal powered homes while drinking water in plastic bottles made from petroleum. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If you want to protest fine, but don't damage property it makes one doubt your cause and questions your intentions. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 2:55 PM, Golden Duck said:

The unorthodox use of tomato soup sends the viewer on a journey though dark expressionist cacophony.

The addition of the soup draws us into the mania and eventual ego-otoplasty that evolved around the time and place of the original work; and, serves as an occult analog for a greater multilation. The future is in our hands and our fortune can only be revealed with great effort.

mrbeanwhistlersmothermoviespeech.jpg

ELWr5oUWoAEQfDm.png

• Confused 1

On the subject of gluing your hand to something in protest….

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, el midgetron said:

On the subject of gluing your hand to something in protest….

I have suggestion for these morons - next time glue your cojones to the floor/wall.

BTW, Gianluca's cv tells a lot.

Edited by bmk1245
  • Haha 4

On 10/14/2022 at 6:06 AM, psyche101 said:

Saw this on the telly last night.

Absolutely shameful. Doesn't help their cause at all. It damages it. 

Not exactly a cheap painting. The damage cost won't be cheap. I wonder if they will still think it was worth it when that comes about.

Most museums do have a protection over their displayed works, damage might not be huge after all.

These folks wanted to bring attention to their cause Just Stop Oil.  There was an environmentalist who set himself on fire in front of the Supreme Court. He died the next day.  A few months later, I don't even remember his name.  These people and their stunt were seen by millions and will be remembered probably longer than the guy who lit himself on fire. Some pundits say any publicity is good publicity.  It doesn't make me like them even if I  do think we might cut back on oil for a number of reasons.

I don't know how much effect it will have, but it was a strategy rather than a random act.  The strategy was to get as much attention as possible.  For a couple of cans of soup and some super glue, they sure did that.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2022 at 8:38 PM, el midgetron said:

Who knew gluing your hand was a thing…..

Hi El

In support of their lunacy I will offer my services pro bono if they want to up their game. I will throw them face first into the brick or concrete wall of their choice of any building they choose to protest at.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

****!!  I couldn't read what was on the sign but that person was a polluter!  Throwing the glue tube into the sewer!   Are you sure that was environmentalists, or people who escaped the loonie bin.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 4:11 AM, Tatetopa said:

Most museums do have a protection over their displayed works, damage might not be huge after all.

These folks wanted to bring attention to their cause Just Stop Oil.  There was an environmentalist who set himself on fire in front of the Supreme Court. He died the next day.  A few months later, I don't even remember his name.  These people and their stunt were seen by millions and will be remembered probably longer than the guy who lit himself on fire. Some pundits say any publicity is good publicity.  It doesn't make me like them even if I  do think we might cut back on oil for a number of reasons.

I don't know how much effect it will have, but it was a strategy rather than a random act.  The strategy was to get as much attention as possible.  For a couple of cans of soup and some super glue, they sure did that.

Did he use petrol?

• Haha 2

Some people are suggesting that the protesters are being paid for what they are doing and the goal is to get a law created that bans all public protests . . . peaceful or otherwise.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Some people are suggesting that the protesters are being paid for what they are doing and the goal is to get a law created that bans all public protests . . . peaceful or otherwise.

Interesting.  That would explain a so called environmentalist littering.   So the countries that this is happening allow protesting, and someone wants that to be illegal.   Doesn't make sense because one of those was Germany and one was the UK.  Well, maybe in the UK, but not Germany.   

If the authorities had a different tactic, like leaving the glued people where they were and allowing the property owners to charge a fee (reimbursement for damages and loss of income) to allow people to taunt them and throw what ever food at them that they used to deface the art or property, it would stop very quickly and if they were being paid they would be happy to say who paid them.  It would only take once, and not more than a few hours to solve this.

• Like 3