Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oklahoma: Group of 4 cyclists disappears.

ouija ouija

This is bizarre.  I’ve never heard of four guys just disappearing after a bike ride.  It seems odd that they were out riding at night though.  I usually see cyclists out in daylight hours. I’m wondering if they went on bridges over rivers, or if there was a bridge out or something?  It just seems really unlikely for these men to have disappeared without a trace.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Alien or Bigfoot abduction comes first to mind.:D

• Haha 7

39 minutes ago, Guyver said:

This is bizarre.  I’ve never heard of four guys just disappearing after a bike ride.  It seems odd that they were out riding at night though.  I usually see cyclists out in daylight hours. I’m wondering if they went on bridges over rivers, or if there was a bridge out or something?  It just seems really unlikely for these men to have disappeared without a trace.

That's why I wondered if it was a mis-print . . . why would they head out at night to look at salvage yards?

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

Caught snooping in the wrong scrapyard so crushed and melted?

It's possible, I guess, but I can't imagine anything left lying in any scrapyard would be worth risking life in prison to protect.  These days though, life is much cheaper than it was in years past.  For their family's sake, I hope they're found, one way or another.  I can't think of any worse grief than to lose a loved one and never know what happened or where they were. :( 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, and-then said:

It's possible, I guess, but I can't imagine anything left lying in any scrapyard would be worth risking life in prison to protect.  These days though, life is much cheaper than it was in years past.  For their family's sake, I hope they're found, one way or another.  I can't think of any worse grief than to lose a loved one and never know what happened or where they were. :( 

Scrapyards are often dodgy places with dodgy owners and dodgy patrons.

Life wasn't cheap in the past?  lol

Battle of the Somme:- 650,000 German casualties, 420,000 British, and 195,000 French

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Now I'm wondering if the four of them were up to no good, or three of them wanted to get rid of a fourth. I wonder if it's usual for the four of them to go on bike rides together?

edit to say: another site says that their bicycles were pulling trailers, plus, they didn't show up on the security footage at the gas station. 

Edited by ouija ouija
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

That's why I wondered if it was a mis-print . . . why would they head out at night to look at salvage yards?

Salvage yards aren't open at night...and no one goes on a biking ride like that at night so it must have been a misprint.  Maybe they found something 'unexpected' at a salvage yard and fell to a wrong place, wrong time scenario.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

LE is reviewing a lot of videos and GPS data. They also have more locations that are potential sources of video. I hope they find them alright soon.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/investigators-searching-close-friends-vanished-oklahoma/story?id=91420652

• Like 4

1 hour ago, joc said:

Salvage yards aren't open at night...and no one goes on a biking ride like that at night so it must have been a misprint.  Maybe they found something 'unexpected' at a salvage yard and fell to a wrong place, wrong time scenario.

I don’t think 8PM was a misprint.

Unverified sighting of four men walking down a street at 2AM kinda supports 8PM being correct. The articles do read like it was actually 8PM.

Also it all just sounds dodgy. Also only two having phones on them (if that’s accurate)?

There are obviously a lot of details left out. Maybe police know that they were probably up to no good and have met some sort of foul end, but don’t want to release that info yet for fear of hindering the investigation?

Of course that’s just my baseless theory.

Sunset would have been a little after 7PM.

Doesn’t make sense to me at all with the details available, but I’m hoping for the best possible outcome either way.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Timothy said:

I don’t think 8PM was a misprint.

Unverified sighting of four men walking down a street at 2AM kinda supports 8PM being correct. The articles do read like it was actually 8PM.

Also it all just sounds dodgy. Also only two having phones on them (if that’s accurate)?

There are obviously a lot of details left out. Maybe police know that they were probably up to no good and have met some sort of foul end, but don’t want to release that info yet for fear of hindering the investigation?

Of course that’s just my baseless theory.

Sunset would have been a little after 7PM.

Doesn’t make sense to me at all with the details available, but I’m hoping for the best possible outcome either way.

I don't think your theory is all that baseless.  They had a reason to go out that late and were obviously looking for something.  Maybe they found it.  Maybe they were ushered away at gunpoint by someone on the premises of the salvage yard.   I think you are not thinking out of the box...I think you are right...who leaves their spouses on a 'bike ride' when they all know it's going to be dark.  Why would they be walking at 2 am though?  If that description is even accurate? 

It sounds a lot hokey...sounds like something (just thinking out of the box here) that meth users might do.  Also, it isn't inconceivable if that is the case that they went out there to 'cook' meth.  Usually when things don't add up, my thinking is, there are drugs involved.  If that is so, then their spouses, friends, etc. probably know a lot more than they are telling police.

Now you have me thinking along nefarious lines.  It is well known that meth has a very strong and peculiar chemical odor when being manufactured...and it is also well known by law enforcement that people will go out into State Parks to do their 'cooking'.  And...it is also well known that meth heads aren't the smartest people on the planet and will do literally anything to carry on with their habit.  And, it is also a distinct possibility that something went really wrong unexpected explosion and they all are dead somewhere out in the boonies.  

You are right ...it doesn't add up to normal behavior at all.  But why then would they be seen walking at 2am?  Very interesting!

Edit: to say that I just looked at their pictures again...at least one of them have very small pupils.  A kind of a give away for a meth head.

Edited by joc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Human remains discovered nearby but unclear whether they belong to the missing men. 
See link to full article here : https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11316603/Girlfriend-one-missing-Oklahoma-cyclists-vanished-says-fears-theyre-dead.html

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 4

This doesn't sound good.

• Sad 5

8 hours ago, Eldorado said:

According to the chief, the investigation has shown the men visited a salvage yard west of Okmulgee, then stopped at a Murphy’s gas station. They then stopped at a different salvage yard near Schulter, where Mark Chastain’s phone either died or turned off.

“At this point, the evidence tells me I have four missing adults, I have no evidence there’s any violence involved at this point, we always consider that a possibility in any missing persons case and we’re not discounting that possibility, but not persons of interest,” Prentice said.

https://www.yourokmulgee.com/news/search-underway-four-missing-men

Caught snooping in the wrong scrapyard so crushed and melted?

That is odd, maybe they were looking for something.  They may have been attacked by junk yard dogs for all we know, and one of the salvage yard guys fired up the bulldozer and buried their asses.  IDK.  But I do know this, there are some people who will try to steal from other people to satisfy their own wants, and some *******s may consider the salvage yard a place that’s acceptable to sneak into to swipe a part at night.  IDK, I’m just saying.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, acute said:

This link is interesting because the Police Chief(Sheriff?), says "We don't know if these are the missing men" which suggests to me that their faces are not recognisable. If, just days before, four men go missing and then you find four bodies dumped in a river . . . . 

Also, in another report, they are descrbed as 'human remains' not 'bodies', which in my mind means the bodies were in bits . . . or am I misinterpreting? 

Edited by ouija ouija
  • Like 7

This is so strange - what could have possibly befallen four (presumably quite fit) men for them all to end up dead in a river ?

( assuming the human remains are the missing cyclists )

• Like 8

Police in Okmulgee, Oklahoma, found "multiple objects in the water that appear to be human remains" in the Deep Fork River Friday amid a days-long search for four missing cyclists, authorities said.

Mark Chastain, 32, Billy Chastain, 30, Mike Sparks, 32, and Alex Stevens, 29, of Okmulgee, were reported missing Monday evening. Mark Chastain's wife, Jessica, and Alex Stevens' mother reported their disappearances.

The city's police chief said that remains had been discovered in a news briefing, but he added that no bicycles were found. The remains had not yet been recovered from the water, he said.

Prentice said Friday that a passerby saw something "suspicious" in the water and called police, who were securing the scene.

"I need to be clear, we don't know that this is our missing men yet," he added.

Investigators on Wednesday gathered video and GPS evidence and followed up on potential sightings of the men — including one witness who reported seeing all four men walking down the street at 2 a.m. Tuesday.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/oklahoma-police-find-multiple-sets-human-remains-amid-search-4-missing-cyclists

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 4

Just now, MGB said:

I read this yesterday and knew this wouldn't have a good ending.

I suspect this will get more interesting as they find out what happened to them.  Was it one of them doing the killing or an outsider?  

• Like 4

I think my 'cooking meth' in the woods scenario might actually be correct.  4 grown men on bicycles pulling little trailers at night...seen walking at 2 am...human remains found in the river...

No one wants to be found riding bicycles at 2am by the cops...they will pull you over just because.  So walking at 2 am makes sense.  Maybe they realized they needed something critical for the mix.  Maybe they were just getting something to eat or drink after a hard night of meth production...Maybe they had a secret spot where they have been doing this for awhile.  Probably.  Sounds like they had something planned that went very, very wrong.  Maybe they were down by the river and got blown up by their own meth lab.  

Don't sue me...I'm just thinking outloud.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, joc said:

I think my 'cooking meth' in the woods scenario might actually be correct.  4 grown men on bicycles pulling little trailers at night...seen walking at 2 am...human remains found in the river...

No one wants to be found riding bicycles at 2am by the cops...they will pull you over just because.  So walking at 2 am makes sense.  Maybe they realized they needed something critical for the mix.  Maybe they were just getting something to eat or drink after a hard night of meth production...Maybe they had a secret spot where they have been doing this for awhile.  Probably.  Sounds like they had something planned that went very, very wrong.  Maybe they were down by the river and got blown up by their own meth lab.  

Don't sue me...I'm just thinking outloud.  

I don't really buy the "meth cooking" theory although we don't know much yet.   I thought they mentioned that they had wives and they looked mostly normal.   Don't fit the mold of the typical meth head.  I wonder if they have taken long bike rides before?  Maybe the trailer had a grill, cooler and beer in it.  That was my first thought.  Being seen walking at 2am without having phoned home is a big red flag.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

in another report, they are descrbed as 'human remains' not 'bodies', which in my mind means the bodies were in bits . . . or am I misinterpreting? 

Not sure.

Maybe because they are in the river, they have been partially eaten.

.....or maybe they just haven't been positively identified yet.

• Like 4