Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oklahoma: Group of 4 cyclists disappears.

ouija ouija

Just now, Myles said:

I don't really buy the "meth cooking" theory although we don't know much yet.   I thought they mentioned that they had wives and they looked mostly normal.   Don't fit the mold of the typical meth head.  I wonder if they have taken long bike rides before?  Maybe the trailer had a grill, cooler and beer in it.  That was my first thought.  Being seen walking at 2am without having phoned home is a big red flag.  

Photographs are typically very hard to judge.  You see them as looking normal...I see all of them with glazed over pin pointed pupils typical of meth users.  So, it's really hard to judge from a picture...but the older brother definitely had very small pupils in that picture ...again though...doesn't mean he was a drug user.  

They were planning to ride deep into the woods and then go home.  We know that because the younger Chastain brother was expected to babysit Monday morning, as reported by his wife Jessica...she apparently had a new job she was starting. Which...also perhaps means that her husband wasn't employed.

We know they haven't found the bicycles...which means they probably walked to the river.  Why would grown men leave the house shortly before dark on bicycles and then walk deep into the woods down by the river?  Especially when they were expected to be back later?  Cooking meth is a likely scenario...Maybe they walked out of the woods in the middle of the night because the fumes were so strong they didn't want to reek of a meth lab.  Later, they come back and in the final production phase...the whole thing exploded blowing them into the river in pieces.  But then...I don't really know what goes on in Meth Production..except that a cop in the state park told me that you can cook it up very easily but it can also blow up very easily. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

This link is interesting because the Police Chief(Sheriff?), says "We don't know if these are the missing men" which suggests to me that their faces are not recognisable. If, just days before, four men go missing and then you find four bodies dumped in a river . . . . 

Also, in another report, they are descrbed as 'human remains' not 'bodies', which in my mind means the bodies were in bits . . . or am I misinterpreting? 

From what I read, the saw body parts sticking out of the water even though the rest of the body could not be seen, so my interpretation was that the bodies are intact but only an elbow or leg or something could be seen above the water.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

And another thing * wags finger in the air *  are the wives and girlfriend acting as though they know their partners were up to no good? I don't hear any of them saying "They're all firefighters who regularly go for bike rides together to keep fit. They put weights in the trailers to make it more of a workout"! I think the men look pretty rough but that doesn't mean they've been up to no good, of course.

I wonder if they caught on fire somehow(joc's meth cooking suggestion?), and jumped in the river to put the flames out?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Dang. Hope I get to hear an investigative follow-up.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Eldorado said:

According to the chief, the investigation has shown the men visited a salvage yard west of Okmulgee, then stopped at a Murphy’s gas station. They then stopped at a different salvage yard near Schulter, where Mark Chastain’s phone either died or turned off.

“At this point, the evidence tells me I have four missing adults, I have no evidence there’s any violence involved at this point, we always consider that a possibility in any missing persons case and we’re not discounting that possibility, but not persons of interest,” Prentice said.

https://www.yourokmulgee.com/news/search-underway-four-missing-men

Caught snooping in the wrong scrapyard so crushed and melted?

Since they were heading East and then went south...but wound up farther north in the river...I'm thinking maybe they were taken there and dumped in the river...I stil think drugs were involved...but then again...I know nothing...I was so very wrong about the baby abducted from the tent in Australia.  I was dead sure the parents had something to do with it...nope...it was a twisted stranger seeing opportunity.  We shall see what we shall see.  Nonetheless it is a very sad and tragic story.

• Like 6

Looking toward a light will shrink one’s pupils…but ya, they do look Methy.    ..and notice the third indicator of meth abuse listed below !

Recognizing Meth Abuse

Meth is widely available in several forms, most commonly either crystal or a white odorless power which can be smoked, snorted, injected, or taken by mouth. Uniquely, Meth alters the user’s mood differently depending on the method of administration. People taking the stimulant seek the chemical for its ability to produce positive, euphoric highs, but may also experience:

• Hyperactivity
  • Appetite loss
  • Bike riding in groups of four at night in Oklahoma
  • Extreme aging
  • Dramatic weight loss
  • Dental damage
  • Hyper alertness and excitability
  • Skin rashes
  • Engaging in hazardous behaviors
  • Erratic or bizarre behavior
  • Neglecting professional, academic, or personal responsibilities
  • Social or interpersonal problems
  • Financial difficulties
  • Disappearing for long periods of time
  • No longer participating in former passtimes
  • Isolating behavior
  • Erratic sleep patterns
  • Extreme fluctuation in energy levels
  • Severe mood swings
  • Irritation, agitation, and aggression
  • Obsessive behaviors
Edited by lightly
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Whilst meth users may be a little off in their mental reasoning, the people who manufacture and market it are probably not using the product and although their moral compass may be questionable, they are probably reasonably smart normal guys, demonstrating smarts for business and chemistry!

It's not unusual for guys to go night cycling either, if they are towing trailers with grills, tents and beers.....

The junk yard stuff and for 4 adults to disappear.

That would imply being taken captive by multiple gunmen, if it was one junkyard owner with a shotgun, let's face it, most of us to try to make a run for it and you'd expect some of the 4 to get away.

However if the junkyard is the methlab and their are multiple shooters with AR15s?

• Like 2

As for the night cycling, I live in South London and last summer myself and some work friends cycled to Hoo marina on the river Medway.

We had ruck sacks packed with beer, snacks, a tent and 3 lidls inflatable kayaks.

Padded out to Hoo island and drank a lot of beer before paddling over to the Gillingham side of the river the next day and catching a train back around lunchtime

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, EBE Hybrid said:

the people who manufacture and market it are probably not using the product and although their moral compass may be questionable, they are probably reasonably smart normal guys, demonstrating smarts for business and chemistry!

It's not unusual for guys to go night cycling either, if they are towing trailers with grills, tents and beers.....

Uh...okay...not my experience having known such.

3 hours ago, EBE Hybrid said:

It's not unusual for guys to go night cycling either, if they are towing trailers with grills, tents and beers...

It is if you are babysitting the next morning.

• Like 3

Maybe they went out for a swim and drowned in the river? like those four indian (???) guys time ago that drowned in that water pond.

I sincerely hope to be wrong, but this is unfortunately sounding a lot like the case that inspired old Blue Oyster Cult's song - ''Then Came the Last Days of May''. Four young men set off to buy drugs and get ambushed in a remote location.''. Three of them never came back. The song is inspired by a true event.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, CloudSix said:

Has there been a follow up?

I just found this article:

4 missing Oklahoma cyclists found shot, dismembered had been planning crime

https://nypost.com/2022/10/17/missing-oklahoma-men-were-found-shot-dismembered/

Police on Monday confirmed that the bodies pulled from an Oklahoma river last week were the four missing bicyclists — and revealed that the men had been shot and dismembered while on their way to commit a crime.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/remains-found-oklahoma-identified-4-missing-men-police-say-shot-dismem-rcna52625

They'd been discussing committing a crime but no one seems to know what it was.  Sounds like whoever their "partners" were, had other ideas.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 10/14/2022 at 7:06 PM, joc said:

I don't think your theory is all that baseless.  They had a reason to go out that late and were obviously looking for something.  Maybe they found it.  Maybe they were ushered away at gunpoint by someone on the premises of the salvage yard.   I think you are not thinking out of the box...I think you are right...who leaves their spouses on a 'bike ride' when they all know it's going to be dark.  Why would they be walking at 2 am though?  If that description is even accurate? 

It sounds a lot hokey...sounds like something (just thinking out of the box here) that meth users might do.  Also, it isn't inconceivable if that is the case that they went out there to 'cook' meth.  Usually when things don't add up, my thinking is, there are drugs involved.  If that is so, then their spouses, friends, etc. probably know a lot more than they are telling police.

Now you have me thinking along nefarious lines.  It is well known that meth has a very strong and peculiar chemical odor when being manufactured...and it is also well known by law enforcement that people will go out into State Parks to do their 'cooking'.  And...it is also well known that meth heads aren't the smartest people on the planet and will do literally anything to carry on with their habit.  And, it is also a distinct possibility that something went really wrong unexpected explosion and they all are dead somewhere out in the boonies.  

You are right ...it doesn't add up to normal behavior at all.  But why then would they be seen walking at 2am?  Very interesting!

Edit: to say that I just looked at their pictures again...at least one of them have very small pupils.  A kind of a give away for a meth head.

I think you might have a track on it, but then I question that someone reported seeing them at 2AM  (who, maybe someone who actually knows what happened and is throwing in distracting details to make it harder to figure out what happened)   How could they have blown themselves up making meth and then be seen on some street at 2 AM?   None of it adds up.   I suspect the LE are keeping the cards close in order to get better answers.   But the bikes with trailers means they were doing something other than going on a bike ride.    I am leaning towards them being seen in Jamaica or some beach in Mexico drinking and laughing about how they "disappeared".   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/15/2022 at 7:43 AM, joc said:

Maybe they walked out of the woods in the middle of the night because the fumes were so strong they didn't want to reek of a meth lab. 

Only a meth head would not notice the smell and once you are near it, you smell of it no matter if you walk away or not.   I don't agree with your meth head theory, though I did think that they were pretty rough looking in those photos.   But that doesn't mean they are criminals, could just mean they never cared about their looks or health.  They didn't look like meth heads, nor did they look like people who have a business making and selling meth.

• Like 4

Apparently the bodies found in the river were shot and  dismembered.

https://abc7ny.com/missing-oklahoma-men-dismembered-body-deep-fork-river-okmulgee-police-department/12339649/#:~:text=Okmulgee Police Chief Joe Prentice,%2C and Alex Stevens%2C 29.&text=The men were believed to,the evening of Oct. 9.

OKMULGEE, Okla. -- Four Oklahoma men who were last seen riding their bicycles more than a week ago were shot and dismembered, police said Monday, and a man considered a person of interest has since disappeared.

Okmulgee Police Chief Joe Prentice said the bodies found late last week in the Deep Fork River are those of the four missing friends: Mark Chastain, 32, Billy Chastain, 30, Mike Sparks, 32, and Alex Stevens, 29.

• Like 5

On 10/15/2022 at 5:13 PM, joc said:

Uh...okay...not my experience having known such.

It is if you are babysitting the next morning.

You know what, if it is your kid, it is Not babysitting!  But I get it, the guy was supposed to be home to take care of the kid(s) while his wife went to work.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

You know what, if it is your kid, it is Not babysitting!  But I get it, the guy was supposed to be home to take care of the kid(s) while his wife went to work.  

...and...yeah...they did all look like Meth heads....especially the older Chastain.  Done with the thread...no one is going to do to them what was done unless drugs...most probably meth...and a whole lot of money was involved.  They went to score largely and lost.  I called it.  Not bragging.  I'm sad...mostly sad that some people are so pathetic and stupid.  And sad for those who loved them.  

...you're going to reap just what you sow...

• Like 3

This is a lengthier article with new photos. Also, I found the comments by readers interesting.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11324811/Remains-Oklahoma-river-belong-4-missing-men.html

Quote from the article: 'Kennedy is serving probation after pleading guilty to assault and battery with a deadly weapon in 2012 reports The Oklahoman. '

Kennedy is the owner of the scrapyard. He has now gone missing. When interviewed by the Police last week he said he didn't know the four deceased.

• Like 7

21 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

I just found this article:

4 missing Oklahoma cyclists found shot, dismembered had been planning crime

https://nypost.com/2022/10/17/missing-oklahoma-men-were-found-shot-dismembered/

Police on Monday confirmed that the bodies pulled from an Oklahoma river last week were the four missing bicyclists — and revealed that the men had been shot and dismembered while on their way to commit a crime.

How did the cops know that the ,dead and dismembered, were ‘on their way to commit a crime’  ?  I suspect the cops!   $$$$$$$$$$$$ 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, lightly said:

How did the cops know that the ,dead and dismembered, were ‘on their way to commit a crime’  ?  I suspect the cops!   $$$$$$$$$$$$ 

That is just as suspicious as someone claiming to have seen them at 2 AM.  Granted, one of them was out on parole, but that doesn't mean he wanted to go back to jail.   And did they ever find the junk yard guy that they were looking for?

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

And did they ever find the junk yard guy that they were looking for?

Supposedly he got picked up in Florida a couple hours ago on a warrant for a shooting in 2012, which makes me wonder now if it is linked to the events of Kennedy's probation.

• Like 7

According to the article,

The victims planned to commit a crime that night, Prentice said Monday, citing an individual who had been asked to participate but declined. Police do not know what the alleged planned crime involved.

But the explanation does seem a bit incomplete.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Police have tracked down the person of interest in the "violent" quadruple murder that left four men dismembered in an Oklahoma river. 

On Tuesday, salvage yard owner Joe Kennedy was arrested in Daytona Beach Shores, Florida, in a vehicle that was reported stolen to the Okmulgee County Sheriff's Office on Monday, Police Chief Joe Prentice announced on Tuesday. 

Link to Full Article and Source https://www.cbsnews.com/news/joe-kennedy-person-of-interest-in-quadruple-oklahoma-murder-arrested-in-florida-police-say/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1