Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atlantis: where did the survivors go?

Althalus

Plato described how the fabled civilization of Atlantis was destroyed in a day and night, but said nothing of the fate of the Atlanteans. Did any members of this ancient race survive, and if so, where did they go to?

Plato's account spoke of a highly civilized people with written laws, living in a fertile land, with plains, mountains and springs, at the centre of which was a huge city, incorporating public gardens and baths, a harbour, canals, and temples. he mentioned all of this in his account, but then neglected to mention whether anyone actually survived this catastrophe.

Despite extensive efforts and innumerable theories, finding Atlantis has proved difficult. Over the years, theorists have variously proposed that the origins of the Atlantis story lie in most of thecontinents and oceans of the world, including spots such as Antartica and Sri Lanka.

Some of the theories of what happened to the survivors include:

- If Atlantis was the Minoans of Crete, that dissapeared after the Island of Santorini collapsed in on itself, then the Atlanteans are still among us, being the ancestors of the modern-day peoples of the eastern Mediterranean.

- If Atlantis lay in the in the Atlantic Ocean, as W. Scott-Eliot, a member of the Theosophical Society, says in his work, (the story of atlantis), which he based on knowledge claimed from the astral plain. He said that the people who inhabited Atlantis were the Toltecs, the race who used to inhabit Mexico, and those who have been named as the builders of the giant stone heads of Tula, Mexico. Another group of Toltecs, Eliot claims sailed east to Western Europe and Britain, where Stonehenge and the other stone circles are all that is left of their culture. The main problem with this idea though, is that scientists are generally certain that no land mass existed in the middle of the ocean, where he says it should be.

- Francis Bacon, claimed that the Americas was the lost continent of Atlantis, and that it had just been mislaid and not actually lost.

- People have even said that this is where people fleeing Atlatis went, and have used the old ruins of South America to back it up.

- People have even stated that there is a compromise beween the last two ideas, and that part of the mainland and some of the islands of S. America, some of which have now disappeared, the surviving places being those like the gateway of the sun in Bolivia, in a place called Tiwanaku. The theory states that long before there was any contact with Europe, there was a language devised in America, which is the basis for a large part of the latin alphabet. The survivors of this version of the race could then have travelled east to Europe, and may be a sizeable portion of the ancient ancestors of Europeans. Also according to this theory the ancient seaport described by Plato could have been built along the fault line in Central America, and so have been buried many times over the years.

- It may even refer to a portion of Hispaniola, the island discovered by Christopher Columbus and now occupied by Haiti and the Dominican Republic.

- A new theory is that the story refers to a flood high up in the Bolivian Andes about 11,000 years ago.

- Two of the most interesting bits of information though is that if you are to go looking for survivors of Atlantis, then you should look to the civilizations that grew up as successors to the Toltecs in South and Central America, such as the Maya and the Inca, an important part of this theory is that scientists may have been wrong with the dating of these civilizations. Dating has been derived by the stone writing they left behind, but the idea is that there has been some cinfusion between solar cycles(years) and lunar cycles(months) and seasonal cycles. If the Mayan glyphs are re-interpreted then it is possible to push the dates of the 'Golden Age' back to the same time as the Greco-Roman era.

- The other bit is that they may have travelled to northern Spain, where they founded a unique culture. The native Basque people, who claim independence from Spaindo not lay claim to any such origin, but they do have a language called Euskara, that is unlike any other. It's roots are still a mystery; linguists believe that it's roots derive from an ancient language system that has long disappeared, leaving no other traces.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• marduk

• The Roswell Man

• aquatus1

• Adramaleck

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a theory that Atlantis was not just an island full of an advanced race of people....i believe its people were spread out over a large region of the globe...just like a huge empire....

Some may have died in some sort of natural disaster, or war...however i think their descendents are still around today...this is how i explain the exsistence of the pyramids of egypt, mexico and china...etc etc

interesting subject, i think if there was any survivors then they must have fled somewhere in europe and people didnt know about them really so it never was ritten down, but theres always the sad part that if Atlantis was true then all of its Survivors must have went down with it at the time of the catastrophe

Defintley in Area 51, with Tupac, Elvis, and E.T. But seriously, my guess is as good as anybodys on this subject. I believe that Atlantis was a cultivation of many continents. But hey who knows?

Antartica.

Earth crust displacement.

Some of the most intelligent fled and tried to preserve their culture, or provide clues - found in egyptian pyramids and some other "mystic" places.

Happened before the north pole moved from hudson bay to where it is today.

i read somewhere that when Atlantis was sinking, some of the people went to mexico, and some went to Greece, or that European area.

I read a book recently called Atlantis Rising by Robert Sullivan. I'm still not really sure whether it was meant to be taken seriously because of the supposed "facts" presented in it that were really quite unbelievable.

The book suggested that Atlantis had been Santorini. When it blew it's top, most of the civilisation died but a few managed to survive on the what was left of the island, creating a small village-type thing, fishing and subsisting. But, because of the incredible mental capacity of Atlanteans, they studied the sea life around them evolved within a matter of generations. Just because they really really wanted to, they had the brains for it and they really really needed to.

The book further upheld that they didn't stop evolving. They grew fins, escas (the wee light that deep sea fish have to light their way and lure prey), scales. They eventaully became a very rare species of whale that has been discovered. But, before they became a dolpin, they were merpeople. That is the reason no one ever sees merpeople anymore - they all evolved into something else.

Like I said, pretty unbelievable.

I do recall hearing the theory that the Sumerian civilisation was started by surviving Atlanteans. That would explain their sudden appearance with knowledge of farming and language with nothing before it. But I heard that a while ago, and it's probably very outdated.

alien.gif When we open the chamber buried between the paws of the sphinx all the history of Atlantis and the start of Humanity will be revealed to us,their descendents.

And then the great powers of the universe will be ours to command, and we will go forth from the Planet as though we were Gods.

I always wanted to say that! grin2.gif

It is my personal belief that the "Atlanteans" would have mirgrated to the north african Continent or Southern europe (dependent on certain conditions). of course this is based on my belief of Atlattis being located in the mediterranean valley before the sea wall collapsed original.gif

Nice read Pothler, highly unlikely that any kind of species will evovle in a matter of generations, but hey whatever floats your boat.

I do recall hearing the theory that the Sumerian civilisation was started by surviving Atlanteans. That would explain their sudden appearance with knowledge of farming and language with nothing before it. But I heard that a while ago, and it's probably very outdated.

sorry that view is way out of date.

its been discounted.

It was a pet theory of Leonard Woolley.

The guy who first excavated Ur.

He died in 1960

The new archaeological evidence indicates a slow buildup to civilisation and all the technological improvements that went with it including writing.

They didn't suddenly appear.

They just didn't evolve written language to the point where they could start writing it down until 4000bce

and we havent found 2 % of those written records yet

If atlantis actually existed and it really was the size it has been said to be and it really went down in a day and a night the only survivors would have been those who weren't anywhere near home at the time.

Plato knew all about santorini so he'd hardly write about that and call it atlantis.

Its only the tourist business that keeps that myth alive.

and nothing mysterious happened to the survivors of the santorini explosion.

They still live there. Duh

We all know how to spell civilization correct? Or is civilisation the UK way to spell it?

There have been a few reports semi-recently that one man believed he found atlantis somewhere in the meditteranean if i recall right and another scientist theorized that Atlantis was actually modern day Ireland. The Atlanteans may be members of a known race but we don't know which or they may have simply been wiped out.

There have been a few reports semi-recently that one man believed he found atlantis somewhere in the meditteranean if i recall right and another scientist theorized that Atlantis was actually modern day Ireland. The Atlanteans may be members of a known race but we don't know which or they may have simply been wiped out.

527159[/snapback]

If this is true, perhaps it is also true that they possed a knowledge of something - which may be reassimilated upon discovery?

not sure where they went but i think this looks like what is commonly described as where they came from

user posted image

thats an image of Bora Bora

isnt that how Atlantis is supposed to look ? an island with water around it then land again around that

probably nothing but still i find it curious

grin2.gif They went up into space, and has come back through the centuries to watch we thesecond generation humans are doing!! They are the aliens!! w00t.gif

That picture of what atlantis may look like is erroneous

This would be a far better representation of it as it is today

user posted image

It sank remember.

In fact that was the whole point of platos story

Its gone man

didnt the fall of antlantis supposedly start many human civs? huh.gifhmm.gif

(P.S surprised athenian isnt a=round to give his whacky take on this laugh.gif )

That picture of what atlantis may look like is erroneous

This would be a far better representation of it as it is today

It sank remember.

In fact that was the whole point of platos story

Its gone man

527706[/snapback]

Actually, out of all the descriptions I have read of atlantis.. And I have read many.. Bora Bora is BY FAR, the most accurate Looking in my mind.. I believe it could have sunk, but only temporarily. If we look back at the Tsunami disaster, What happened to atlantis could be described as a Tsunami.. Such a massive event happening on an island would be catastophic to that island. Just picture the island worst hit by the tsunami disaster. On top of that NOBODY AT ALL, there to offer aid.. So any type of survivors, would have had to deal with Disease, and starvation.

Also a hurricane could explain it. If atlantis is low enough on sea level (which it obviously was) the Sea Swell of a Giant hurricane could swallow the island whole.. Just look at the records from Galveston tx, in the early 1900's.

didnt the fall  of antlantis supposedly start many human civs? huh.gif  hmm.gif

(P.S surprised athenian isnt a=round to give his whacky take on this laugh.gif )

527853[/snapback]

Dont have the exact info on this.. But supposedly yes. There were said to be 7 brothers, all of which were given land/countries. Believe one had egypt, one had Mu, one Atlantis, etc etc.. Sorry I cannot give 100% accurate info, but running on memory I read out of book, 2 year ago.

"What happened to atlantis could be described as a Tsunami"

"Also a hurricane could explain it"

"There were said to be 7 brothers, all of which were given land/countries"

err

this is purely speculation

Let me point out here that the only documentary evidence that has ever supported The actual existence of atlantis comes from plato.

who heard it as a boy from a late night dinner conversation by Socrates.

who in turn had heard the legend from the writings of Solon who in turn was told it by some priests on a visit to egypt 150 years earlier. The legend was 9000 years old at that point

Lets take the story of Samson and deliliah.

Is anyone searching for their earthly remains.

Is anyone who ever looks going to find them

Don't any of you know what the Word Parable means

You're speculating over a possible end for a possibly real city in a possible Culture that possibly never existed

Thats a lot of possibles but very few possibilities

Edited by marduk

how about people keep sayin they have found the site of atlantis but keep bull****ing about it hmm.gif

makes me sick disgust.gif