Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Liz Truss resigns as prime minister

Still Waters

Was anything else really on the cards?

Let's take this ridiculous farce to its logical conclusion - bring on Rees-Mogg as PM and let him recline on the House of Commons front bench while dealing with PMQs.

Remember Lord Snooty?! Lord Snooty - Wikipedia

What an unmitigated shambles!

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Is that a record for fastest PM resignation?

• Like 3

In either case, the UK is showing the world how it is done. You applied for a job but you cannot deliver? Resign or get ousted. That is how it should be everywhere. My respect.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Still Waters said:

Liz Truss has dramatically resigned as prime minister after just 45 days in the job.

The PM said her successor will be elected in a Tory leadership contest, to be completed in the next week.

Tory MPs urged Ms Truss to go after her government was engulfed by political turmoil, following the ditching of most of her economic policies.

Her resignation comes after a key minister quit and Tory MPs rebelled in a chaotic parliamentary vote.

Ms Truss - who took office 44 days ago - will become the shortest-serving PM in British history when she stands down.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63332037

Ms Truss said: "I recognise that I cannot deliver the mandate on which I was elected by the Conservative Party."

I am trying to imagine PM Thatcher saying that...but every time I think about it I laugh.

1 hour ago, odas said:

In either case, the UK is showing the world how it is done. You applied for a job but you cannot deliver? Resign or get ousted. That is how it should be everywhere. My respect.

I think King Charles should have a coup and dissolve Pariament and RULE England...with Queen Camilla at his side until such time as he finds she is having an affair with the Kings attendant and then...off with her head!  That is how it should be done!  Long live the King!!!

kidding

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

The tory party doing their own version of the last days of Rome.

Its not often that events align to allow a space for a new political party to emerge but this looks like one.

Not as it will happen in the next few weeks but by next summer ?   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Its not often that events align to allow a space for a new political party to emerge but this looks like one.

Well, you know...things...have been put in play already.  The Ukraine situation is not going to be swept under the rug.  And anyone who thinks that Russia is going to stop with the Ukraine is disrespecting the very history that we are suppose to learn lessons from and by.   Who knows what will be the situation globally this summer.  But things have changed and things are about to change.  Whether anyone realizes it or not is questionable...but as I see it...we (The West) are at war with Russia.  There is a Global Positioning War going on and there are PTB (powers that be) on both sides.  There has never been just One PTB...It is the PTB that is at war.  But there isn't just one.  The PBT is a group or groups of Elites who govern the money supply.  It's always been about who controls that money supply system.  Russia is making a play.  It isn't because Putin is delusional...it is a calculated decision and one must see many moves ahead to know what to do about it.  

Two things stand out...first:   the Queen is dead.   Second:  Biden is brain dead.  As such...a power swap/change/makeover is under way and we have no clue what that makeover is going to look like or act like.  

But the PBT know one thing for sure...they have complete control over the peoples of the world.  visa vi the Pandemic of 2020.  We are all lambs on our way to the slaughter house.  But that's okay...it's way to late to do anything about it...so just do what you do and love who you love and live your life as if it ends today...because it does. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, joc said:

But the PBT know one thing for sure...they have complete control over the peoples of the world.  visa vi the Pandemic of 2020.  We are all lambs on our way to the slaughter house.  But that's okay...it's way to late to do anything about it...so just do what you do and love who you love and live your life as if it ends today...because it does. 

It looks to be the case that bodies like IMF have more control over UK national policy than politicians standing and then elected on a set of pre-published ideas. 

In the UK it was a reduced tax and higher growth plan. 

The opposition parties are happy to see the current mess the Tories are in after forced U turns, until they find themselves elected and then constrained on policy by those same people not democratically elected in the UK. ;)

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

We don't need a new political party, we've got this guy :

1579288544_Starmer-pride-1536x864(1).thumb.jpg.a32a20ce5c5690919aedf50fb55399f8.jpg

• Haha 4

37 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

It looks to be the case that bodies like IMF have more control over UK national policy than politicians standing and then elected on a set of pre-published ideas. 

The opposition parties are happy to see the current mess the Tories are in after forced U turns, until they find themselves elected and then constrained on policy by those same people not democratically elected in the UK;)

The subtle difference being that the very people pushing the present agenda (the msm) hold the same views as the opposition.

“I do remember… the corridors of Broadcasting House were strewn with empty champagne bottles. I’ll always remember that”

Jane Garvey, Radio 4 presenter, recalling Tony Blair’s election victory in 1997

“It’s a bit like walking into a Sunday meeting of the Flat Earth Society. As they discuss great issues of the day, they discuss them from the point of view that the earth is flat.

“If someone says, ‘No, no, no, the earth is round!’, they think this person is an extremist. That’s what it’s like for someone with my right-of-centre views working inside the BBC.”

Jeff Randall, former BBC business editor

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Who would have that after 50 years of trickle-down economics failing time and time again, investors and economists wouldn't get excited about it this time. 

• Like 1

Looks like Boris Johnson could be our new PM:Liz Truss resigns as Prime Minister after just 44 days | Daily Mail Online

'Boris Johnson is believed to be considering a potentially explosive attempt to regain power after the resignation of Liz Truss, as other leading Tories squabble over her successor.

The ex-PM, who was ousted by an unprecedented ministerial walk-out just three months ago, is believed to be sounding out advice on mounting a comeback after his successor lasted just 44 days in No10.

His interest comes as other leading Tories argue over a unity candidate who can effectively be crowned leader and calm the bitter political and economic crisis of the past six weeks.' 

I think they should take turns for a month each: Priti Patel, Suella Braverman, Boris, Rishi, Chris Grayling,Grant Shapps, etc till we get up to the GE in 2014. Part of the problem is they are all so enormously talented it is difficult to choose a clear leader.

Edited by pellinore
  • Haha 3

44 days as the prime minister well done :-D

Edited by 'Walt' E. Kurtz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

The opposition parties are happy to see the current mess the Tories are in after forced U turns, until they find themselves elected and then constrained on policy by those same people not democratically elected in the UK. ;)

As if Truss had even the scarcest claim to being democratically elected on a set of pre-published ideas.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 'Walt' E. Kurtz said:

44 days as the prime minister well done :-D

She has done very well. She'll get a pension of £115,000 a year for life. And it has been estimated, for each one of her 44 days in office, she has wiped out 1.5 billion of the UK's reserves, which will be paid back by the tax-payer. She is still boasting on Twitter of her successes as PM. She must be referring to herself, not the UK as a whole.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Teresa Coffey should really take over, she is the Deputy PM after all. I always think she is rather Churchillian, with her perpetual cigar and glass of Sauvignon Blanc in hand. A true statesman, even the working classes probably think she is a nice bloke:

Shutterstock_7529384fl.jpg

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, pellinore said:

Teresa Coffey should really take over, she is the Deputy PM after all. I always think she is rather Churchillian, with her perpetual cigar and glass of Sauvignon Blanc in hand. A true statesman, even the working classes probably think she is a nice bloke:

Shutterstock_7529384fl.jpg

She needs a suit and a top hat and she would complete the Winston Churchill look

• Haha 4

I knew she was trouble. She meets the Queen at Balmoral and 2 days later the Queen is dead :whistle:

• Haha 5

27 minutes ago, thedutchiedutch said:

I knew she was trouble. She meets the Queen at Balmoral and 2 days later the Queen is dead :whistle:

Everything she touches gets destroyed?

4 hours ago, Setton said:

As if Truss had even the scarcest claim to being democratically elected on a set of pre-published ideas.

Whatever you think of Truss's mandate the IMF have much less when it comes to UK politics. ;)

She was elected with other Tory MP's at the last public vote, which Tories won, and then won an internal election.

Starmer has less of a mandate, as his party lost the last election and then he was elected as leader by Labour using a similar internal mechanism to Truss.

4 hours ago, pellinore said:

she has wiped out 1.5 billion of the UK's reserves, which will be paid back by the tax-payer. 

The UK bank bought bonds/guilts to support the £, as they are now worth more as values recovered you could argue the UK made a profit buying cheap and now owning a more valuable product. 

Unlike Gordon Brown who sold off UK gold reserves at a historic low price and locked in a permanent loss. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/2009/jan/08/economy-gordonbrown

• Like 1

7 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

The UK bank bought bonds/guilts to support the £, as they are now worth more as values recovered you could argue the UK made a profit buying cheap and now owning a more valuable product. 

Unlike Gordon Brown who sold off UK gold reserves at a historic low price and locked in a permanent loss. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/2009/jan/08/economy-gordonbrown

Good point! Gordon Brown sold off the gold 20 years ago. Gordon Brown was Labour! He must be responsible for the market crash after the mini-Budget three weeks ago! Daniel Hannan said the markets were spooked by the prospect of a Labour government under Starmer sometime in the future. So poor Liz is taking the blame for something Gordon Brown did almost a generation ago and something Starmer might do in the future! You couldn't make it up!