Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Medieval Power Struggle That Inspired HBO’s ‘House of the Dragon’

Still Waters

In three decades of teaching medieval European history, I’ve noticed my students are especially curious about the intersection of the stories told in class and the depictions of the Middle Ages they see in movies and television.

Judged by their historical accuracy, cinematic portrayals are a mixed bag.

But popular fantasy, unencumbered by the competing priority of “getting it right,” can, in broad strokes, reflect the values of the medieval society that inspired it.

HBO’s “House of the Dragon” is one of those TV shows. A king lacking a male heir to his throne elevates his teenage daughter to be his named successor, and a complex dynastic drama ensues.

This storyline reflects the real obstacles facing women who aspired to exercise royal authority in medieval society.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-medieval-power-struggle-that-inspired-hbos-house-of-the-dragon-180980967/

https://theconversation.com/hbos-house-of-the-dragon-was-inspired-by-a-real-medieval-dynastic-struggle-over-a-female-ruler-191732?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I did not liked the  House of the Dragon when it ended the queen the last time of the  House of the Dragon :(

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 1

I'm still watching it. Episode 9 has been added now which I'll be watching tonight, the final episode 10 is due to be added next Monday.

I like it :) and Game of Thrones.

• Like 1

House of the Dragon does seem to be getting some inspiration from The Anarchy, and I really like it.

On 10/21/2022 at 9:34 PM, Still Waters said:

I like it :) and Game of Thrones.

Did you like Season's 7 and 8 of Game of Thrones?

6 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Did you like Season's 7 and 8 of Game of Thrones?

I did.