Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why are there so many different religions

Keiw1

It seems very strange there are so many different religions claiming to be Christian. All say they have holy spirit guiding them, but all teach different truths. I doubt 100% the holy spirit is confused, thus it must be lack of holy spirit that is causing all the confusion. How can one tell if they have chosen the right path and religion? After all-John 4:22-24 assures one must be worshipping God in spirit and truth. I dont believe God would accept anything less. And from what i see from 1 Corinthians 1:10--Unity of thought( all of Gods 1 truth) no division. Yet it sure looks divided to me. To me that says 1 single religion has Jesus out of the many claiming to be his. What are your thoughts?

• Like 5

The religion of Jesus is not the religion about Jesus. What did Jesus do? How did he live his religious life? That is the religion of Jesus.

16 minutes ago, Keiw1 said:

It seems very strange there are so many different religions claiming to be Christian. All say they have holy spirit guiding them, but all teach different truths. I doubt 100% the holy spirit is confused, thus it must be lack of holy spirit that is causing all the confusion. How can one tell if they have chosen the right path and religion? After all-John 4:22-24 assures one must be worshipping God in spirit and truth. I dont believe God would accept anything less. And from what i see from 1 Corinthians 1:10--Unity of thought( all of Gods 1 truth) no division. Yet it sure looks divided to me. To me that says 1 single religion has Jesus out of the many claiming to be his. What are your thoughts?

That the penny just dropped?

There's over a thousand man made gods just in written history. 

Why would any single one of them actually be correct? They are all just imaginative variations on a creator theme. Dawkins pointed out that people are atheists regarding most gods, and subscribe to just one. 

• Like 9

Why are there so many different religions

image.jpeg.90b75d717117e5f85e568e2d87471c4e.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Keiw1 said:

It’s directly do to men who feel they are chosen, these men attempt to change the scriptures for their own self righteous glory. The only Jesus and Christian Religion is the Jesus identified in the Original Surviving Scriptures all others were created by false prophets attempting to subvert Christianity. But, even the original scriptures have been changed over the centuries by the religious leaders, yet these scriptures are still the foundation of Christianity. 

Now I am not a Christian however that’s my take on the subject.

Edited by Grim Reaper 6
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Will Due said:

The religion of Jesus is not the religion about Jesus. What did Jesus do? How did he live his religious life? That is the religion of Jesus.

If there was a god or Jesus, they would become Buddhist after reading your posts. 

And or the UB.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Keiw1 said:

It seems very strange there are so many different religions claiming to be Christian.

I suspect that this is due to the evolution of a hypothetical schism allel, bestowed by the Divine upon the request of some humans in order that its imperfect creation may strive for better perfection.

Alternatively, it might be due to the many psychopaths who are the leaders of our populations. Despite having a high IQ, psychopaths are among the dumbest of the human psychologies - and each time they are either or both wrong and consumed by the desire to rule, they schism.

All say they have holy spirit guiding them, but all teach different truths. I doubt 100% the holy spirit is confused, thus it must be lack of holy spirit that is causing all the confusion. How can one tell if they have chosen the right path and religion?

The Holy Spirit / the Divine may only guide them along the path they themselves have chosen. (Anything else would conflict with the principle of Free Will. If the Divine had wanted puppets in a dollhouse, it would have created robots instead of living creatures.)

After all-John 4:22-24 assures one must be worshipping God in spirit and truth.

Ever consider that God might be a cat? A cat could not care less. It is best to ignore the cat.

I dont believe God would accept anything less.

The Divine by necessity minds its own business. (Free Will again.)

And from what i see from 1 Corinthians 1:10--Unity of thought( all of Gods 1 truth) no division. Yet it sure looks divided to me. To me that says 1 single religion has Jesus out of the many claiming to be his. What are your thoughts?

Those populations in which the frequency of inherited diseases are lowest are the most blessed and the most Christian - even if they do not call themselves Christian nor religious.

Those populations in which the frequency of inherited diseases are highest are the most accursed and the least Christian.

So what is this religion of Jesus that isn't the religion about him? What did he believe? How did he enact those beliefs? 

19 minutes ago, Will Due said:

So what is this religion of Jesus that isn't the religion about him? What did he believe? How did he enact those beliefs? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I think it partly has to do with that religion has been a tool of the state/rulers rather than being supposed to be true to the scriptures. For example, to be be able to pay yourself free from sin fitted the state well, it was s source of income. Jesus would have been very upset though. It caused Martin Luther to create a new branch/variant of the religion.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Will Due said:

Hi Will

As the story goes he died at 33 and we have a few minutes of reading what someone else said Jesus did after his death. I am a regular nobody after retiring from my glory days so to speak and most of my days are busy with unrecorded events even in a world of cameras everywhere they only catch a fraction of what happens.

What people say Jesus said varies quite distinctively from believer never mind what was actually written or having had occurred. That does not mean that they are not true descriptions just that there is no supporting independent evidence either way. If people live better lives because of their belief great, kudos to them and expect the same in return. If I am good with no religious belief does not change that even if I had a different religious belief a good person is a good person,

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Keiw1 said:

It seems very strange there are so many different religions claiming to be Christian.

People have different beliefs even within a religion.  Doesn't seem strange at all.  

6 hours ago, Keiw1 said:

All say they have holy spirit guiding them, but all teach different truths. I doubt 100% the holy spirit is confused, thus it must be lack of holy spirit that is causing all the confusion. How can one tell if they have chosen the right path and religion? After all-John 4:22-24 assures one must be worshipping God in spirit and truth. I dont believe God would accept anything less. And from what i see from 1 Corinthians 1:10--Unity of thought( all of Gods 1 truth) no division. Yet it sure looks divided to me. To me that says 1 single religion has Jesus out of the many claiming to be his. What are your thoughts?

The same Holy Spirit who told the Biblical authors that slavery is ok.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Keiw1 said:

there are so many different religions

Many people have their own idea to the how and why we exist. These religions are attempts to explain such. Also religions are cultural constructs, typically containing the rules and requirements for that particular society. 

• Like 6

In one of his motivational speeches, the greatest salesman of all time, Paul of Tarsus, revealed his secret:

I have become all things to all men

1 Corinthians 9:22

That's set the tone for Christianity ever since. Whatever you the consumer want from a religion, there's a denomination that serves that flavor. Can't find one you like? You can start your own. Sounds too much like work? Hook up with a "non creedal" variation on the Christian theme.

This is how a meme survives for 2000 years. Follow Paul, be all things to all men people sentient beings. Denominations come and go, but the business plan carries on.

• Like 6

The fact that there are many sects of Christianity as well as many other religions, some of them distinctly different than Christianity, has no bearing on what's at the heart of the matter of living a religious life.

"The Universal Father never imposes any form of arbitrary recognition, formal worship, or slavish service upon the intelligent will creatures of the universes. The evolutionary inhabitants of the worlds of time and space must of themselves—in their own hearts—recognize, love, and voluntarily worship him. The Creator refuses to coerce or compel the submission of the spiritual free wills of his material creatures. The affectionate dedication of the human will to the doing of the Father’s will is man’s choicest gift to God; in fact, such a consecration of creature will constitutes man’s only possible gift of true value to the Paradise Father. In God, man lives, moves, and has his being; there is nothing which man can give to God except this choosing to abide by the Father’s will, and such decisions, effected by the intelligent will creatures of the universes, constitute the reality of that true worship which is so satisfying to the love-dominated nature of the Creator Father.

10 hours ago, Keiw1 said:

It seems very strange there are so many different religions claiming to be Christian

When applying critical thought shouldnt it simply imply the non-existance of a creator? It seems obvious  the reason we have such a multitude of constructs is its very human component at its core, twisting and molding the "story" to suit there needs. As humans grow from infants into adulthood the nurturing and protection from our parents is replaced by a god that apparently does the same. It offers people this sense of security they feel they need to get through life when the reality is we're on our own...which is I suppose  intimidating and scary for some 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, khol said:

As humans grow from infants into adulthood the nurturing and protection from our parents is replaced by a god that apparently does the same. It offers people this sense of security they feel they need to get through life when the reality is we're on our own...which is I suppose  intimidating and scary for some 

From birth,  the nurturing and protection (or lack thereof),  the beliefs, prejudices and habits of our parents are programmed into our brains.  Whatever God they believe in...we believe in. This Birth Box offers people a sense of security they feel they need to get through life.  The mere thought of walking away from that birth box is so intimidating and scary that most who do step away from the Birth Box, return and modify the beliefs to fit their own lifestyle.  

The concept of 'God' was created as the human brain evolved into a questioning brain.  What does the thunder mean?  Where does lightning come from?  In the ensuing evolution of new thought process...The Human Brain itself evolved into a Narcissistic Brain.  The Narcissistic Brain developed theories of The Invisible Entities.  Narcissism is not a mental disorder.  It is the one human trait that we all have in common.  We as a species have believed our own fabrications so long that we worship that which we created.  We modify the Invisible Entity to fit our own brand of unique narcissism.  As such, we have been able to evolve to the point of creating an individualistic entity.  Your Own Personal Jesus which most refer to as 'Truth'.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Will Due said:

The fact that there are many sects of Christianity as well as many other religions, some of them distinctly different than Christianity, has no bearing on what's at the heart of the matter of living a religious life.

"The Universal Father never imposes any form of arbitrary recognition, formal worship, or slavish service upon the intelligent will creatures of the universes. The evolutionary inhabitants of the worlds of time and space must of themselves—in their own hearts—recognize, love, and voluntarily worship him. The Creator refuses to coerce or compel the submission of the spiritual free wills of his material creatures. The affectionate dedication of the human will to the doing of the Father’s will is man’s choicest gift to God; in fact, such a consecration of creature will constitutes man’s only possible gift of true value to the Paradise Father. In God, man lives, moves, and has his being; there is nothing which man can give to God except this choosing to abide by the Father’s will, and such decisions, effected by the intelligent will creatures of the universes, constitute the reality of that true worship which is so satisfying to the love-dominated nature of the Creator Father.

Thanks Will!  There's nothing like bringing back long forgotten memories out of the blue!

When I was a kid, the rave toy for us all was a little melting pot called Creepy Crawlers...you would melt some different colors of plastic and then pour it into a mold of spiders, centipedes, and various and assorted other bugs.

But then...then...  someone came up with a new twist on the Toy.  Instead of just plastic...it used a substance that you could actually eat the bugs after you made them.  The toy was called Incredible Edibles.  And the substance used was called: Gobbledee Goop  Thanks for the memories! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Keiw1 said:

there are many different religions..but I think those claiming to be Christian are differing sects of the same religion, Christianity?  They all share a belief in Christ? .. (anointed of god?)  I think Christianity ,and other religions, are divided because ,most, people see themselves as divided from one another ?   ..another  one.  :)

20 hours ago, psyche101 said:

That the penny just dropped?

There's over a thousand man made gods just in written history. 

Why would any single one of them actually be correct? They are all just imaginative variations on a creator theme. Dawkins pointed out that people are atheists regarding most gods, and subscribe to just one. 

Yes sadly satan is posing as all the false gods to get worship.

19 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

I think it is obvious that Satan is deliberately confusing the Christians, and they will all just have to fight it out congregation vs congregation to determine who God truly favors.

That wouldnt occur with Jesus-He taught-Love, peace and unity.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ell said:

I suspect that this is due to the evolution of a hypothetical schism allel, bestowed by the Divine upon the request of some humans in order that its imperfect creation may strive for better perfection.

Alternatively, it might be due to the many psychopaths who are the leaders of our populations. Despite having a high IQ, psychopaths are among the dumbest of the human psychologies - and each time they are either or both wrong and consumed by the desire to rule, they schism.

The Holy Spirit / the Divine may only guide them along the path they themselves have chosen. (Anything else would conflict with the principle of Free Will. If the Divine had wanted puppets in a dollhouse, it would have created robots instead of living creatures.)

Ever consider that God might be a cat? A cat could not care less. It is best to ignore the cat.

The Divine by necessity minds its own business. (Free Will again.)

Those populations in which the frequency of inherited diseases are lowest are the most blessed and the most Christian - even if they do not call themselves Christian nor religious.

Those populations in which the frequency of inherited diseases are highest are the most accursed and the least Christian.

God is the most powerful being ever, Every other being is created, all created beings together dont equal an iota of what God is. He doesnt interfere with free will to much, but has given all his written word to choose with their free will to listen to his advice. Those that love him do just that. 

Basically in Eden, satan was saying--If mortals knew both good and bad, they wouldnt need to listen to Gods advice--that was a direct challenge to Gods sovereignty in front of all creation. And mortals chose to know both good and bad by kicking God in the teeth. He gave them everything. The liar who mislead them gave them 0. They made a very bad choice.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

People have different beliefs even within a religion.  Doesn't seem strange at all.  

The same Holy Spirit who told the Biblical authors that slavery is ok.

I dont think the HS told them it was ok, but it was apart of the reality of knowing good and bad that mortals chose to know.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Keiw1 said:

It is divided because it is not god's word, it is man's word.  And any man can make up what ever he wants about god and sometimes people who don't want to think for themselves follow one like that.   In the very olden days rules were made to keep people safe and healthy and if those rules came from a deity they had more weight.  But now everyone has run off and made up their own rules then use ancient and not so ancient texts to prove their rules are god given, usually  misquoting those texts and depending on people not to look it up themselves.   

If you are trying to figure out which version of christianity is the true version you will be spinning in circles until you decide none of them are or you choose one.   It is not for anyone else to choose for you, it is your beliefs.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• The topic was locked