Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia’s Iranian drones complicate Israel’s balancing act

Abramelin

JERUSALEM (AP) — The Iranian-made drones that Russia sent slamming into central Kyiv this week have complicated Israel’s balancing act between Russia and the West.

Israel has stayed largely on the sidelines since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine last February so as not to damage its strategic relationship with the Kremlin. Although Israel has sent humanitarian aid to Ukraine, it has refused Kyiv’s frequent requests to send air defense systems and other military equipment and refrained from enforcing strict economic sanctions on Russia and the many Russian-Jewish oligarchs who have second homes in Israel.

But with news of Moscow’s deepening ties with Tehran, Israel’s sworn foe, pressure is growing on Israel to back Ukraine in the grinding war. Israel has long fought a shadowy war with Iran across the Middle East by land, sea and air.

Lt. Col. Richard Hecht, a military spokesman, said the suicide drone attack in Ukraine had raised new concerns in Israel.

“We’re looking at it closely and thinking about how these can be used by the Iranians toward Israeli population centers,” he said.

The debate burst into the open on Monday, as an Israeli Cabinet minister called on the government to take Ukraine’s side. Iran and its proxies in Lebanon, Syria, Iraq and Yemen have threatened Israel with the same delta-shaped, low-flying Shahed drones now exploding in Kyiv.

“There is no longer any doubt where Israel should stand in this bloody conflict,” Nachman Shai, Israel’s minister of diaspora affairs, wrote on Twitter. “The time has come for Ukraine to receive military aid as well, just as the USA and NATO countries provide.”

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-iran-kyiv-europe-moscow-fa2086d6feeaca20a61d66efd2ddb69b

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I hope they can find their way to help the Ukrainian citizens without setting Putin off and causing him to begin shooting at Israeli aircraft that bomb Iranian weapons caches in Syria.  The world really doesn't need for the M.E. to go up in flames as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, and-then said:

I hope they can find their way to help the Ukrainian citizens without setting Putin off and causing him to begin shooting at Israeli aircraft that bomb Iranian weapons caches in Syria.  The world really doesn't need for the M.E. to go up in flames as well.

To be honest, it scares me. I think that when Israel actively takes part in the war between Russia and Ukraine, the sh!t will finally truelly hit the fan.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

To be honest, it scares me. I think that when Israel actively takes part in the war between Russia and Ukraine, the sh!t will finally truelly hit the fan.

Maybe it's finally time for that sh!t to hit that fan!   Just set the nukes off everywhere and be done with it.  I say that knowing that the city I live in will be one of the first in the U.S. on the list.

Edited by Desertrat56

28 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Maybe it's finally time for that sh!t to hit that fan!   Just set the nukes off everywhere and be done with it.  I say that knowing that the city I live in will be one of the first in the U.S. on the list.

Why?

Israel works in mysterious ways. We may see sudden accidents is Shaheed AirwhateverIndustries.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, and-then said:

I think the Middle East has been up in flames for at least the last 20+ years. I think the loser in all of this will be Iran, they are the biggest treat and sponsor of terrorism that effects Israel directly but who knows. 

I'm sure Israeli intelligence has evaluated the positive domino effect helping Ukraine would have, in general, on its geopoltical position in the region.  A  weaker Russia would mean a weaker Iran, who is already having to deal with its own problems at home and who knows if the current dictatorship will survive the uproar. A change in Iranian politics will also weaken or change altogether its support for Hezbolah and Hamas, Israel's arch enemies..

I don't understand what's holding them back really? Surely not former Russian allegiance. Jews from former Soviet and Russian society weren't held in highiest regard, in fact they received a lot of discrimination.

2 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

I don't understand what's holding them back really? Surely not former Russian allegiance. Jews from former Soviet and Russian society weren't held in highiest regard, in fact they received a lot of discrimination.

Maybe this:

Israel has also been keen to stay neutral in the war over concern for the safety of the large Jewish community in Russia. Israel frets about renewed antisemitic attacks in the country, with its long history of anti-Jewish pogroms under Russian czars and purges in the Soviet era. Over 1 million of Israel’s 9.2 million citizens have roots in the former Soviet Union.

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Abramelin said:

Maybe this:

Israel has also been keen to stay neutral in the war over concern for the safety of the large Jewish community in Russia. Israel frets about renewed antisemitic attacks in the country, with its long history of anti-Jewish pogroms under Russian czars and purges in the Soviet era. Over 1 million of Israel’s 9.2 million citizens have roots in the former Soviet Union.

Personally, I don't believe that's a significant enough reason. There are approx.160,000 Jews in Russia.  There are 7 million Jews in Israel, a (possible) nuclear threat from the current dictatorship in Iran and two Islamic groups on its doorstep hellbent on its destruction.  I think the latter is much more of a concern than the livelihood of the Jews living in Russia.

Edited by Black Red Devil
  • Like 2

On 10/22/2022 at 8:42 PM, Black Red Devil said:

I'm sure Israeli intelligence has evaluated the positive domino effect helping Ukraine would have, in general, on its geopoltical position in the region.  A  weaker Russia would mean a weaker Iran, who is already having to deal with its own problems at home and who knows if the current dictatorship will survive the uproar. A change in Iranian politics will also weaken or change altogether its support for Hezbolah and Hamas, Israel's arch enemies..

This reminds me of some new age prophet in the 80's saying that the middle east would be destroyed by nuclear bombs. If Israel bombed Iran, or Russia bombed anywhere with a nuclear bomb, the reaction would be quick and fatal for most of the planet.   I have no hope for humans being reasonable, only for reacting in fear without evaluating the consequences.   That being said, I do have doubts that N. Korea or Israel or even Iran or Russia would ever get to the point of insanity of actually using a nuclear attack on anyone.   There would be someone to stop it.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Sad 1

Israel has been every bit as good custodian of those weapons as the rest of the nuclear powers.  That is, until the Norks built them.  Iran's leaders want them in the short run for a path to hegemony over the region and they, like Russia WOULD threaten the world with them.  IMO, a war including the use of nukes on some scale, WILL occur in that region.  There are references to enemies of Israel dying in a manner that exactly resembles the effects of nuclear weapons deaths near ground zero.  

Zechariah 14:12

"This is the plague with which the LORD will strike all the nations that fought against Jerusalem: Their flesh will rot while they are still standing on their feet, their eyes will rot in their sockets, and their tongues will rot in their mouths."

The word rot can be exchanged for "dissolve".  The key is in the time frame in which this occurs.

15 minutes ago, and-then said:

Israel has been every bit as good custodian of those weapons as the rest of the nuclear powers.  That is, until the Norks built them.  Iran's leaders want them in the short run for a path to hegemony over the region and they, like Russia WOULD threaten the world with them.  IMO, a war including the use of nukes on some scale, WILL occur in that region.  There are references to enemies of Israel dying in a manner that exactly resembles the effects of nuclear weapons deaths near ground zero.  

Zechariah 14:12

"This is the plague with which the LORD will strike all the nations that fought against Jerusalem: Their flesh will rot while they are still standing on their feet, their eyes will rot in their sockets, and their tongues will rot in their mouths."

The word rot can be exchanged for "dissolve".  The key is in the time frame in which this occurs.

Yeah, that's credible, a bible quote.    And how exactly do you determine the time frame?   

• Like 2

On 10/23/2022 at 2:36 AM, Black Red Devil said:

Personally, I don't believe that's a significant enough reason. There are approx.160,000 Jews in Russia.  There are 7 million Jews in Israel, a (possible) nuclear threat from the current dictatorship in Iran and two Islamic groups on its doorstep hellbent on its destruction.  I think the latter is much more of a concern than the livelihood of the Jews living in Russia.

I agree, BRD. How ya been? Good seeing you.

Anyway, the Jewish population in Ukraine, according to the European Jewish Congress, is between 360,000 and 400,000, which is much higher than the Jewish population in Russia, 
not that I think that plays a major role in how Israel plays its cards, either. I think it might be the fact that Russia has troops in Syria, which borders Israel. And you never know 
what that madman, Putin, will do. 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 11:12 AM, and-then said:

I see that as a very reasonable way to view it too. If the Israelis tic off Putin, the Russian military doesn't have to go far to retaliate.

On 10/25/2022 at 2:23 AM, Desertrat56 said:

This reminds me of some new age prophet in the 80's saying that the middle east would be destroyed by nuclear bombs. If Israel bombed Iran, or Russia bombed anywhere with a nuclear bomb, the reaction would be quick and fatal for most of the planet.   I have no hope for humans being reasonable, only for reacting in fear without evaluating the consequences.   That being said, I do have doubts that N. Korea or Israel or even Iran or Russia would ever get to the point of insanity of actually using a nuclear attack on anyone.   There would be someone to stop it.

Highly unlikely that Russia will nuke the Ukraine IMO.  Israel will never need to nuke anyone and Iran doesn't have nukes.  But North Korea......Kim wouldn't hesitate to strike if attacked, invaded and getting overthrown. He's a self priviliged criminal brat who has grown up in a family believing they own everything and everyone in North Korea.  The fear of losing such an entitlement would definitely push him to the edge.  

• Like 2