Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysteries revisited: the Josh Highcliff 'skunk ape' footage

UM-Bot

Papameter Reading

65% Cryptid     20% Other Animal       15% Hoax

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

New and Improved Papameter Reading

100%  poor quality video

The video is so poor there is no chance at an identification.

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

It’s interesting footage.  I remember it from before. What I like about it is that the subject appears to be eating grubs or whatever food source is available in that rotting tree.  The creature stands up on two legs at the end.  I thought the footage was pretty clear for a cell phone camera from 8 years ago, and even with todays iphones, I’m not sure it would get any better than that.  The way that the creature discarded chunks of bark was not like a bears motion, and the way it stood up was not like a bear. The legs appear too long in proportion for a gorilla, and the overall proportions look different from a gorilla. In my mind this is either a pretty well done hoax, or an authentic sighting of a swamp ape.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

The south is prone to exotic animal escapes.. Florida as well..big time. hurricane decades ago had chimps, and the like escape and never recovered..apes likely as well. I believe , but also think the south may have another possibility..

41 minutes ago, Carnoferox said:

It is 100% a hoax. "Josh Highcliff" is a character played by actor Richard L. Bosworth in an episode of the 2014 Discovery Channel mockumentary series "Beasts of the Bayou". The video was created for the show.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3854552/

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm6279742/

It says they were searching for a werewolf?  Where do you get the slam dunk claim?  I don’t see it in the links you provided. Maybe the guy just has the same name?

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Guyver said:

It says they were searching for a werewolf?  Where do you get the slam dunk claim?  I don’t see it in the links you provided. Maybe the guy just has the same name?

Here is the full episode where "Josh Highcliff's" video is featured. It starts at around 5:20. It is called a "rougarou" ("werewolf") instead of a bigfoot or skunk ape for some reason.

• Like 5

Everything about this video points to it being a hoax.

1. "Josh Highcliff's" YouTube channel was created on October 28, 2013. He only posted a single video on the same day, then was never active again. This is only ~7 months before the episode of Beasts of the Bayou aired on June 1, 2014. Thus, the video was likely created and posted on a throwaway account during the production phase of the episode.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCECXBo6z6eKTOjKhWQ7mljA/featured

Evidence.thumb.png.cb58590f39ff121f21d30f7e1cbd185d.png

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

The movements appear to be that of a gorilla ... elongated head and such 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Carnoferox said:

Here is the full episode where "Josh Highcliff's" video is featured. It starts at around 5:20. It is called a "rougarou" ("werewolf") instead of a bigfoot or skunk ape for some reason.

You’re right.  Total hoax.  What a shame.  

• Like 2

Even if it wasn't my original assessment from the last time this came up still stands. He's, what, 30-40 feet behind this thing (definitely not 50 yards) making enough noise to wake the dead and it's so intent on what it's doing it doesn't even notice? I don't think so. Also, am I imagining things or does he heelturn after he stops at the palmettos and run back towards it?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Guyver said:

You’re right.  Total hoax.  What a shame.  

In bigfootery, there is a great deal of shame to go around.

• Like 3

On 10/27/2022 at 5:13 PM, Resume said:

In bigfootery, there is a great deal of shame to go around.

Sigh.  Everyone knows that.  

• Haha 1

Consider the nearly exponential growth curve of technological innovation in the past 150 years.  Consider how that in that space of time we went from whale oil to the internet.  Now consider that growth curve projected into the future another 150 years.  Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

• Confused 1

On 10/26/2022 at 5:48 PM, Carnoferox said:

It is 100% a hoax. "Josh Highcliff" is a character played by actor Richard L. Bosworth in an episode of the 2014 Discovery Channel mockumentary series "Beasts of the Bayou". The video was created for the show.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3854552/

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm6279742/

But the bias....papameter said 65% cryptid so it cant be a hoax.:cry:

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Guyver said:

Sigh.  Everyone knows that.  

Certainly not everyone; there are more than enough credules to keep teevee shows like (not) Finding Bigfoot afloat.

10 hours ago, Guyver said:

Consider the nearly exponential growth curve of technological innovation in the past 150 years.  Consider how that in that space of time we went from whale oil to the internet.  Now consider that growth curve projected into the future another 150 years.  Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

I literally posted this in the wrong thread,  what a fail.  I’m firing myself.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to Carnoferox for the info.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We have "skunk apes" in florida they are made up of many different escaped or released apes and monkeys this video wasnt one of them.