Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Elon Musk buys Twitter

acidhead

12 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Spartan

Maybe he is going to use it for an advertising platform for his products and ideas. He can express ideas through other people by funding and supporting research and development then promote them?

I'd be curious to see. I read somewhere that ad revenue was like 80% of twitters profits. So will be curious what he does with that 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

As purely an investment, is it even smart to buy Twitter?

Hasn't their usership been dropping amongst gen Z for some years now. Which would imply a poor future for it.

Absolutely.

He made no secret about his plans for an application "X" What Is Elon Musk's X App? (makeuseof.com)

Twitter would be platform foundation for this future app.  China (which ironically invested into the take over of Twitter with Elon) is already pioneering the same idea to connect all aspects of a citizens life to an app.

I think it is inevitable, but there are definitely dangers in the idea- like the social score that China uses or the potential of not being able to buy stuff like food with out having the universal app.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Meh, cooler than a Tesla. Not a big hurdle. I'm not an electric car fan. I have no intention of getting one at all. Regardless of manufacture. 

It dominates what, 1-2% of the overall market? With little competition until very recently? I know my son and his friends thought they were ultra cool when they came out. Not so much anymore. Overpriced hyped up mobility scooters. Pffft.

Again. That silly looking truck ute. It was supposed to be pretty popular by all counts too yeah? 

I'm assuming your non answer is a no, you haven't seen one either?

If you have to ask that, I don't think I can help you. 

Hi Psyche

I was driving on the hi-way a couple of weeks ago and saw one of these and looked it up.Has had some problems from what I read about them but this one was cooking along at 130kph. Both Amazon and Ford are investors.

image.jpeg.a92a13823dd8b674e8ad02d12bd09972.jpeghttps://www.bing.com/fd/ls/GLinkPing.aspx?IG=98C1AF201F5B450882C22F585E87DBB7&&ID=SERP,5248.1&SUIH=OiYarVJTrVJApxP2Mnxzww&redir=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuY2FyYW5kZHJpdmVyLmNvbS9yaXZpYW4vcjF0

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Absolutely.

He made no secret about his plans for an application "X" What Is Elon Musk's X App? (makeuseof.com)

Twitter would be platform foundation for this future app.  China (which ironically invested into the take over of Twitter with Elon) is already pioneering the same idea to connect all aspects of a citizens life to an app.

I think it is inevitable, but there are definitely dangers in the idea- like the social score that China uses or the potential of not being able to buy stuff like food with out having the universal app.

Interesting. 

That sounds similar to how I think WeChat operates in China (if I'm remembering the right name).

I agree that it's probably inevitable as well as a potential danger. 

This certainly makes his purchase make more sense though.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 3:57 PM, Gromdor said:

Eh, I do think that there are many people who think that "Freedom of Speech" is a right to force their words on people who don't care enough to hear it. 

LOL, that is rather ironic considering you're telling everyone some others don't have the same right to free speech as you do! That is rather humorous!

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, sirfiroth said:

LOL, that is rather ironic considering you're telling everyone some others don't have the same right to free speech as you do! That is rather humorous!

They don't- no matter what they say, I can't hear it because I am not on Twitter.  Only the privileged few that talk on this forum have the right to reach my ear...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I'd be curious to see. I read somewhere that ad revenue was like 80% of twitters profits. So will be curious what he does with that 

Hi Spartan

I would think a lot of tech and materials discovered for his space program has other applications that can be marketed to the general public  and he can do that by developing that company to manufacture and market a product so is taking money from one pocket and putting it in the other.

Otis elevators owns companies that build everything from planes to vacuum cleaners and most people don’t know how large and reaching some corporations have,

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Psyche

I was driving on the hi-way a couple of weeks ago and saw one of these and looked it up.Has had some problems from what I read about them but this one was cooking along at 130kph. Both Amazon and Ford are investors.

image.jpeg.a92a13823dd8b674e8ad02d12bd09972.jpeghttps://www.bing.com/fd/ls/GLinkPing.aspx?IG=98C1AF201F5B450882C22F585E87DBB7&&ID=SERP,5248.1&SUIH=OiYarVJTrVJApxP2Mnxzww&redir=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuY2FyYW5kZHJpdmVyLmNvbS9yaXZpYW4vcjF0

Who makes it?  

14 minutes ago, acidhead said:

Who makes it?  

It's literally on the side of the truck in the picture...rivian.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, acidhead said:

Who makes it?  

Hi Cid

Rivian Automotive LLC
Who Makes Rivian Trucks? Rivian Automotive LLC, the all-electric and power-packed American company produce and manufactures Rivian trucks. Its mostly popular Rivian R1T electric pickup truck was released in 2022, while the Rivian R1S electric three-row SUV will be available soon.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/29/2022 at 8:16 PM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

GOOD. 
Scream loud and clear that you’re a ****** and exactly the sort of person to ignore. And anyone who doesn’t want to hear that crap can stick them all on ignore.

And when it spills onto the streets?

1 hour ago, Gromdor said:

Humans seem a bit short sighted.  People cheer about Elon taking over Twitter and like to ignore the fact China was a backer.  As you say, Elon has made no secret of App X the universal app, that will be all you will ever need, and no reason to turn it off.  People who think masks and shots were tyranny  start down the road to App. X.  It won't be the government that will be the bogyman if  it is Elon that you need to earn points from in order to buy a new car.  Being a green guy, will Elon start monitoring your energy consumption at some point?  Points deducted for inefficient large pickup trucks for personal use? But hey, I am just paranoid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

If you have to ask that, I don't think I can help you. 

You haven't provided an answer yet, so I don't think anyone can help me at this point! 

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

They don't- no matter what they say, I can't hear it because I am not on Twitter.  Only the privileged few that talk on this forum have the right to reach my ear...

Yes it really is less stressful when you don't have to listen to those old opposing views and never have to engage in meaningful debate or actually be challenged by anyone !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Psyche

I could see that being more popular. Similar to the current Hilux or ranger series. 

I've not seen one down here yet. 

The fuel limitations are my greatest hurdle. It's why I won't consider electric. That and they are worth nothing when the batteries die. Throw away cars really. Just like everything else these days. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

I could see that being more popular. Similar to the current Hilux or ranger series. 

I've not seen one down here yet. 

The fuel limitations are my greatest hurdle. It's why I won't consider electric. That and they are worth nothing when the batteries die. Throw away cars really. Just like everything else these days. 

Hi Psyche

Yeah the range is the problem for me as well and do wonder what variations there are with respect to terrain like mountains or desert heat.

I don’t plan on buying a brand new vehicle again until they don’t need wheels anymore. I have my old SRX that I really enjoy driving that I am doing a rebuild mild custom on and bought an old jeep commander to drive while working on the caddy and flip it when I am done.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sirfiroth said:

Yes it really is less stressful when you don't have to listen to those old opposing views and never have to engage in meaningful debate or actually be challenged by anyone !

Get serious.  There is no meaningful debate on Twitter nor will there be.  It is opinions and counter-opinions, logic is not part of the mix. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

The fuel limitations are my greatest hurdle. It's why I won't consider electric. That and they are worth nothing when the batteries die.

Just say not yet.  Range improves, batteries get cheaper, new ones may be more permanent too.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Just say not yet.  Range improves, batteries get cheaper, new ones may be more permanent too.

Charge time is my biggest concern. I can fill a tank and pay for it in under ten minutes as opposed to an hour for an expensive fast charger, but being in the electrical field, I don't have much faith in the battery system. We are contracted to do the new electric busses for Brisbane, they are amazing and charge quick, but direct from the transformer. 11kV straight in. That sort of set up is cost prohibitive and the market is leaning towards cheap chargers. I can't do a four to six hour wait for a thankful. 

And the throw away aspect is something I'm really not into. It seems like an environmental disaster starting to happen. Spent batteries are a nightmare all round 

I'm hoping hydrogen can be tamed. I honestly think it's the best option moving forward. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Psyche

Yeah the range is the problem for me as well and do wonder what variations there are with respect to terrain like mountains or desert heat.

I don’t plan on buying a brand new vehicle again until they don’t need wheels anymore. I have my old SRX that I really enjoy driving that I am doing a rebuild mild custom on and bought an old jeep commander to drive while working on the caddy and flip it when I am done.

I've seen the YouTube where a Tesla guy runs out and opens the boot to plug a generator in. 

Which seems more humourous than efficient. 

I'm the same. Happy with my Commodore and have no desire to move into a Tesla whatsoever. And I've got my bike. I don't want or need anything more 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

And when it spills onto the streets?

Then you’ll know who to arrest.

3 hours ago, Paranoid Android said:

You haven't provided an answer yet,

Well I did...

He's just old and not cool. Like your mum walking around the house in underwear or something. Just ick. 

3 hours ago, Paranoid Android said:

so I don't think anyone can help me at this point! 

I've been saying that for months now!

:devil:

29 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Then you’ll know who to arrest.

Wish I was as optimistic as you. I can only hope you're right.

9 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Charge time is my biggest concern. I can fill a tank and pay for it in under ten minutes as opposed to an hour for an expensive fast charger, but being in the electrical field, I don't have much faith in the battery system. We are contracted to do the new electric busses for Brisbane, they are amazing and charge quick, but direct from the transformer. 11kV straight in. That sort of set up is cost prohibitive and the market is leaning towards cheap chargers. I can't do a four to six hour wait for a thankful. 

And the throw away aspect is something I'm really not into. It seems like an environmental disaster starting to happen. Spent batteries are a nightmare all round 

I'm hoping hydrogen can be tamed. I honestly think it's the best option moving forward. 

I agree.  All of those problems affect my decision as well.  Although electric cars have been made as experiments for 100 years, they are only now benefiting from mass production.  Consider progress with internal combustion  vehicles even over the last 50 years.  All of our technological progress in manufacturing and ancillary systems will benefit electric vehicles as well.  The problems you cite are the major problems that everyone recognizes.  I am guessing that in 5-10 years progress will be made in solving those.  

Hydrogen does seem like a good alternative though.  Hopefully that will continue to develop.  Cheers.

• Like 1