Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Elon Musk buys Twitter

acidhead

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2022/10/31/report-elon-musk-fired-twitter-executives-for-cause-to-avoid-paying-out-golden-parachutes/ 

Looks like Elon is clipping their golden parachutes.  It will be amusing watching this move through the courts.  They'll win in the state courts, for sure, but depending on how high it travels, they may just get their "wings clipped" ;) 

16 hours ago, sirfiroth said:

Yes it really is less stressful when you don't have to listen to those old opposing views and never have to engage in meaningful debate or actually be challenged by anyone !

No, I rather enjoy that.  In fact, I get the suspicion that I am doing that right now with you on this well managed and regulated forum. 

You would never have something like this on Twitter where the bulk of the replies are, "You're dumb, Here is a picture of a goat."

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Humans seem a bit short sighted.  People cheer about Elon taking over Twitter and like to ignore the fact China was a backer.  As you say, Elon has made no secret of App X the universal app, that will be all you will ever need, and no reason to turn it off.  People who think masks and shots were tyranny  start down the road to App. X.  It won't be the government that will be the bogyman if  it is Elon that you need to earn points from in order to buy a new car.  Being a green guy, will Elon start monitoring your energy consumption at some point?  Points deducted for inefficient large pickup trucks for personal use? But hey, I am just paranoid.

I think he started/continued with the social ranking system in Twitter.  The whole blue ribbon thing and having to pay for that status.

An off the wall tangent, but something you and Musk might both be thinking of-  I've read lots of Sci-fi books where currency was based on energy instead of a tangible commodity.  I wouldn't think it too weird if application "X" (and the rest of the world) used something like that as currency in the future.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, and-then said:

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2022/10/31/report-elon-musk-fired-twitter-executives-for-cause-to-avoid-paying-out-golden-parachutes/ 

Looks like Elon is clipping their golden parachutes.  It will be amusing watching this move through the courts.  They'll win in the state courts, for sure, but depending on how high it travels, they may just get their "wings clipped" ;) 

It's hard to clip the gold parachutes.  There have been many instances where companies collapsed and imploded with investors left holding the bag while CEO's floated away on their golden parachutes.  Just getting the boot from a new buyer isn't that criminal and the contracts are pretty airtight.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Well I did...

He's just old and not cool. Like your mum walking around the house in underwear or something. Just ick. 

I've been saying that for months now!

:devil:

You're referring to someone who controls 2/3rds of the electric vehicle market as comparable to my mother around the house in undies. I'm just going to let that comparison sink in while I leave the thread after a huge belly laugh :lol: 

49 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

An off the wall tangent, but something you and Musk might both be thinking of-  I've read lots of Sci-fi books where currency was based on energy instead of a tangible commodity.  I wouldn't think it too weird if application "X" (and the rest of the world) used something like that as currency in the future.

In a world like that, it would make a lot more sense to invest in power generation and storage than mining bitcoins.

1 hour ago, Gromdor said:

No, I rather enjoy that.  In fact, I get the suspicion that I am doing that right now with you on this well managed and regulated forum. 

You would never have something like this on Twitter where the bulk of the replies are, "You're dumb, Here is a picture of a goat."

Naw I wouldn't do that, but color me disappointed, based on the way you talk I thought maybe you would be the one to prove all political knowledge and wisdom as being discussed in this thread is not subjective. In other words not just someones opinion!

5 hours ago, Paranoid Android said:

You're referring to someone who controls 2/3rds of the electric vehicle market as comparable to my mother around the house in undies. I'm just going to let that comparison sink in while I leave the thread after a huge belly laugh :lol: 

Pffft, factor this into your laugh......

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJeWBx_JH9-W3j5LNXFCj

Tesla's still aren't cool, they are a fad. 

That's why the fugly ute failed. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

I agree.  All of those problems affect my decision as well.  Although electric cars have been made as experiments for 100 years, they are only now benefiting from mass production.  Consider progress with internal combustion  vehicles even over the last 50 years.  All of our technological progress in manufacturing and ancillary systems will benefit electric vehicles as well.  The problems you cite are the major problems that everyone recognizes.  I am guessing that in 5-10 years progress will be made in solving those.  

I'm not as optimistic.

Electric vehicles actually dominated sales at the turn of the century. One of the earliest vehicles was hybrid. As you say, tech wasn't the best, I just haven't seen enough improvement in the last twenty years concerning batteries to be confident that they will improve to a point where they are as flexible as combustion engines. 

10 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Hydrogen does seem like a good alternative though.  Hopefully that will continue to develop.  Cheers.

I'm really hoping they get it right. A few prototypes but nothing substantial yet. Considering the nature of the idea it strikes me as the cleanest form of readily available fuel with the flexibility of traditional fossil fuels. 

Making it on the fly would solve most problems I think. From what I've seen and understood, I don't mind being somewhat optimistic about hydrogen fuel. There is mountain's of potential there IMHO. A very plausible all round fossil fuel replacement.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

Pffft, factor this into your laugh......

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJeWBx_JH9-W3j5LNXFCj

Tesla's still aren't cool, they are a fad. 

That's why the fugly ute failed. 

What does Elon Musk's body have to do with whether Tesla's are the most popular electric car on the market or not? 

• Confused 1

Just now, Paranoid Android said:

What does Elon Musk's body have to do with whether Tesla's are the most popular electric car on the market or not? 

Ha, told you you wouldn't "get it". 

What does owning a large corporation have to do with being cool and likeable?

When did this become about sales and not about the sell ability of musk? Do you think huge sales translates into cool? 

Tesla's are a fad. In ten years I predict they will be one of the most hated cars on the market. Plastic throw away rubbish. 

Have you not read any of the disgruntled buyers who find a new Tesla is cheaper than replacing the batteries? Lot's of unhappy buyers starting to emerge.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Tesla's are a fad

Maybe that is another reason he bought Twitter.  The EV market is going to get crowded.  The market domination, premium cost and defect forgiveness that Tesla has enjoyed are going away.  More players will bring price and quality competition, and a wider selection of configurations.   And psyche, you will like this, a technology race.

Buying Twitter gets Elon a few years of limited competition in his new endeavor and gives him a platform for App. X.    Besides, he gets unlimited platform to say what he wants. Even when his opinion becomes passé,  people will still have to see it.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Ha, told you you wouldn't "get it". 

Because you aren't making sense! 

What does owning a large corporation have to do with being cool and likeable?

Absolutely nothing. You've literally moved the goal posts to this to make it sound like that's our discussion. The original post that sparked this discussion was your assertion that "Everything Elon touches becomes uncool". At no point did I suggest that Elon Musk was cool, or that being an owner of a large corporation makes one cool or likable! I simply pointed to the popularity of goods and services offered by Musk as counter evidence that everything he touches becomes uncool; if his goods weren't "cool", no one would buy them! Especially not the ones forking out premium dollars for experimental electrical technology. 

When did this become about sales and not about the sell ability of musk? Do you think huge sales translates into cool?

Large sales equates to popularity, and "popularity" is a large part of defining something as "cool". Things that are not popular are rarely "cool" by any reasonable definition, and in fact any slang dictionary you care to go to includes popularity as a metric in defining cool.  

Tesla's are a fad. In ten years I predict they will be one of the most hated cars on the market. Plastic throw away rubbish. 

Have you not read any of the disgruntled buyers who find a new Tesla is cheaper than replacing the batteries? Lot's of unhappy buyers starting to emerge.

I'm not arguing against that. I'm not saying Tesla's are the best and no one could make a better car. I'm arguing that many people are buying Tesla's, far more than they are any other electric vehicle on the market. That's simply a fact. And it's almost certain that Tesla will not be the market leader forever. That's simply the way businesses operate. But right now, and for the immediate future, it's objectively false to claim that Tesla is not popular. Every objective metric we have to measure success demonstrates that Tesla's are in fact "cool" (popular = cool - eg, smoking was once very cool, nowadays at schools it's the vapes that are popular, vapes won't always be "cool", just as cigarettes are no longer "cool", but until society stops seeing vapes as cool, kids are going to continue smoking them - because whether you agree with the kids or not, they see vaping as "cool", and continue to do it because it is looked upon by their peers as "cool"). 

Unless you start to insert your own subjective definition of "cool", in which case I guess the word can mean anything you want it to. But if you can make the word mean anything you want it to mean, then does it really mean anything at all? 

Edited by Paranoid Android

5 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Maybe that is another reason he bought Twitter.  The EV market is going to get crowded.  The market domination, premium cost and defect forgiveness that Tesla has enjoyed are going away.  More players will bring price and quality competition, and a wider selection of configurations.   And psyche, you will like this, a technology race.

I do like it. I like it a lot.

And you are 100% right. There already better value EVs on the market. Our government is even offering incentives. In my state stamp duty is significantly reduced and some states are even offering a 3k giveback. 

5 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Buying Twitter gets Elon a few years of limited competition in his new endeavor and gives him a platform for App. X.    Besides, he gets unlimited platform to say what he wants. Even when his opinion becomes passé,  people will still have to see it.

I'm not sure it will help. He has made some incredibly stupid statements on twitter that will also be there for ever, from hypocritically ragging Bernie Sanders to dumb anti vax statements to calling a cave diver a pedo for saying his submarine idea to rescue those Thai kids was dumb. 

If I was him, I'd accidentally wipe all twitter records. No doubt the stupid things he has said will come back to bite him.

• Like 2

I just screen shot this exchange.. curious how Elon proposal to charge monthy for verified users will curb the bots and trolls but I have an idea.  Something I thought could be done awhile back.Screenshot_20221031-231853.thumb.png.c4fea484f4de1bc50a047472b42a117e.png

8 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

Because you aren't making sense! 

Try hard. Do you think a Tesla car is cool? 

Have you not heard about the stupid stuff he has said on Rogan and Twitter? He damaged his character himself. Money can't buy back the dumb things he has said. 

Absolutely nothing. You've literally moved the goal posts to this to make it sound like that's our discussion. The original post that sparked this discussion was your assertion that "Everything Elon touches becomes uncool". At no point did I suggest that Elon Musk was cool, or that being an owner of a large corporation makes one cool or likable! I simply pointed to the popularity of goods and services offered by Musk as counter evidence that everything he touches becomes uncool; if his goods weren't "cool", no one would buy them! Especially not the ones forking out premium dollars for experimental electrical technology. 

You just contradicted yourself 

You don't suggest he is cool but suggest big sales mean popularity and popularity means cool. But he isn't selling Elon's. He is selling cars. 

That's the product. It's called early market entry. That tends to pay off. Some of us made a mint when solar was new and subsidised too. Didn't make us cool. It made us money. Not sure why you don't see that clear distinction here.

Since when is the popularity of a product reflective of the inventor??? Seriously, what's that got to do with the discussion at all? 

Large sales equates to popularity, and "popularity" is a large part of defining something as "cool". Things that are not popular are rarely "cool" by any reasonable definition, and in fact any slang dictionary you care to go to includes popularity as a metric in defining cool.  

That's the car not the man. And it's because he cornered a market. That's not because of cool, it's limited choice. 

As explained above that's early market entry. Only iPhones were popular to begin with too. 

Sales are not a metric of cool or Murdoch would be one of the coolest guys on the planet wouldn't he. 

I'm not arguing against that. I'm not saying Tesla's are the best and no one could make a better car. I'm arguing that many people are buying Tesla's, far more than they are any other electric vehicle on the market. That's simply a fact. And it's almost certain that Tesla will not be the market leader forever. That's simply the way businesses operate. But right now, and for the immediate future, it's objectively false to claim that Tesla is not popular. Every objective metric we have to measure success demonstrates that Tesla's are in fact "cool" (popular = cool - eg, smoking was once very cool, nowadays at schools it's the vapes that are popular, vapes won't always be "cool", just as cigarettes are no longer "cool", but until society stops seeing vapes as cool, kids are going to continue smoking them - because whether you agree with the kids or not, they see vaping as "cool", and continue to do it because it is looked upon by their peers as "cool"). 

I said Elon makes the cars uncool. Elon is losing popularity in proportion to his media exposure. And that's because we now know what he thinks. He's exposed his nature on Twitter now. 

Now that decent competition is emerging he will have to focus on space to keep relevant. Tesla's will drop sales now that they actually have some competitors.

Unless you start to insert your own subjective definition of "cool", in which case I guess the word can mean anything you want it to. But if you can make the word mean anything you want it to mean, then does it really mean anything at all? 

It does if you look at more than sales figures. 

If you want to be an elon fan, go ahead. I'm not stopping you. I'll probably chuckle but little else. Everyone needs a hero I suppose. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, acidhead said:

I just screen shot this exchange.. curious how Elon proposal to charge monthy for verified users will curb the bots and trolls but I have an idea.  Something I thought could be done awhile back.Screenshot_20221031-231853.thumb.png.c4fea484f4de1bc50a047472b42a117e.png

Ha go Stephen King. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

VW is already better. Miny Cooper is phantastic. Ford and GM are out with unbeatable E-Trucks. While Musk was pushing for numbers with low quality, Ford, GM, VW are coming hard with quality, price, functionality....they were just waiting for the right time, cheking out the market.

I never had Twitter in the first place, will never have any social platform (UM only) anyway, not my thing. Now pushing people to pay...very stupid on his part. 

• Like 2

I have a question.  Does anyone here have a twitter account?  I don't think I even know anyone with a twitter account.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

I have a question.  Does anyone here have a twitter account?  I don't think I even know anyone with a twitter account.

Great question.  I don't.  I thought it was only for Kardashian wannabes and bots. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Great question.  I don't.  I thought it was only for Kardashian wannabes and bots. 

Nah that's Instagram 

Twitter is just a bunch of people unironically complaining about how awful Twitter is... 

I don't think it will be a thing in another year or two. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

You thought wrong.

Most GOV's officials(world-wide) plus public utilities services(police/fire departments) and media individuals from all the major and minor companies use Twitter to announce policy,  media stories(Breaking News/Updates) and emergency situations.  

For example;

There's a war going on in Ukraine and Twitter is a powerful communication tool 

Edited by acidhead
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

Yeah, to me it's essentially another news fees.

You can connect to the authors of your favourite podcasts.

I might scroll through it onc day on the train.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, acidhead said:

You thought wrong.

Most GOV's officials(world-wide) plus public utilities services(police/fire departments) and media individuals from all the major and minor companies use Twitter to announce policy,  media stories(Breaking News/Updates) and emergency situations.  

For example;

Yeah, maybe I exaggerated just a little.  

What do you suppose governments and corporations  might do if they believe Twitter is no longer reliable?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acidhead said:

You thought wrong.

For example;

Fair enough.  Who here is on twitter and subscribes to these things?  I think news outlets get the most use out of it as a source which they then spread to us.

• Like 1