Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Elon Musk buys Twitter

acidhead

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

Yeah, maybe I exaggerated just a little.  

What do you suppose governments and corporations  might do if they believe Twitter is no longer reliable?  

Reliable in what sense? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

51 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Fair enough.  Who here is on twitter and subscribes to these things?  I think news outlets get the most use out of it as a source which they then spread to us.

Well, obviously I use Twitter.  I created an account in 2009 but didn't bother really using it until around 2016. By using it I mean simply browsing other users who I'm curious what they have to say.  I never tweet or engage with anybody. I also created my account using my real first and last name figuring that eventually I'd verify my name but soon realized after creating the account that Twitter doesn't allow complete nobody's, like myself to obtain verification (blue check mark) They have rules who can be verified which I believe is dumb. Hopefully Musk changes that. I have a feeling he's going to.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, acidhead said:

Well, obviously I use Twitter.  I created an account in 2009 but didn't bother really using it until around 2016. By using it I mean simply browsing other users who I'm curious what they have to say.  I never tweet or engage with anybody. I also created my account using my real first and last name figuring that eventually I'd verify my name but soon realized after creating the account that Twitter doesn't allow complete nobody's, like myself to obtain verification (blue check mark) They have rules who can be verified which I believe is dumb. Hopefully Musk changes that. I have a feeling he's going to.

That's what the fee is for.  $20 a month for a blue check I read

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Fair enough.  Who here is on twitter and subscribes to these things?  I think news outlets get the most use out of it as a source which they then spread to us.

FTR, Unexplained-Mysteries.com is on Twitter.  Here's a screen shot I just took moments ago. 

Screenshot_20221101-125716.png

• Like 3

1 minute ago, acidhead said:

FTR, Unexplained-Mysteries.com is on Twitter.  Here's a screen shot I just took moments ago. 

Little known fact, you can find UM direct without Twitter.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OverSword said:

That's what the fee is for.  $20 a month for a blue check I read

He's suggested the $20 fee and it's received a lot of criticism from the verified blue check marks.

Edited by acidhead
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tatetopa said:

Little known fact, you can find UM direct without Twitter.

Tell that to Saru.  Members here already know where to find it. 

2 minutes ago, acidhead said:

Tell that to Saru.  Members here already know where to find it. 

Saru knows all and moves in  mysterious ways. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, acidhead said:

Reliable in what sense? 

The number of subscribers diminishes.

Some entities might be concerned with how much influence major backers like Saudi Arabia and China will have.

Some governments including the US might be concerned with possible communication  interference or delay based on platform ownership.

Emergency messages for tornados or floods or missing children might get buried in competing BS.

Were I a government as big as the US, I would consider building my own platform for official announcements and business with no conversation or reply capabilities.  All business all the time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, acidhead said:

Yeah you hav to be s somebody who is willing to pay.

What if a troll or a bot wants to pay; Musk is going to say "I don't want your dollars"?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

What if a troll or a bot wants to pay; Musk is going to say "I don't want your dollars"?

I am sure he would be delighted to receive $20 per bot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On the lighter side of life, I know it may not be strictly "news", but this video is worth the watch for the laughs (god knows we need a bit of levity in the American news topics). I think my favourite was (honestly, it's funnier if you watch it, so I'll put it in spoilers in case people don't want to have the joke ruined): 

Spoiler

Conservative: I heard he's locked out the Twitter engineers and brought in Tesla engineers to look at the code, so I'm pretty sure that soon we're going to have ludicrous mode on Twitter.
Cameraman: What will that even do? 
Conservative: I don't know, but it'll be pretty cool, won't it. 

The YouTuber is a conservative too, so it's ok if he makes fun of his own side :lol: 

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Haha 3

Staff at Twitter have been clocking up much longer hours than usual since Elon Musk took over, CNBC reported. This comes as staff face the looming threat of layoffs amid the tech mogul's planned overhaul of the company.

Twitter managers have told some staff to work 12-hour shifts, seven days a week — equivalent to 84 hours a week — to meet Musk's deadlines, CNBC reported, citing internal communications.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/twitter-staff-have-been-told-to-work-84-hour-weeks-and-managers-slept-at-the-office-over-the-weekend-as-they-scramble-to-meet-elon-musk-s-tight-deadlines-reports-say/ar-AA13BP61?

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Saru knows all and moves in  mysterious ways. 

Yes. he's mysteriously vanished threads for no apparent reason.

• Haha 1

Amazing isn't how negative certain people are now about Twitter now Musk owns it. The very same people that went out of their way to defend it previously, but now all of a sudden it was always a terrible thing. ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Elon Musk pledged to make getting rid of spam accounts one of his main priorities after buying Twitter - but there's another mounting exodus that he perhaps did not intend.

Fears over the SpaceX founder's potentially loose stance on content moderation has plenty of genuine users considering their future on the platform, including some of its famous faces.

So while Twitter could before too long welcome back some of its most infamous banned accounts - chief among them Donald Trump - it may soon be saying goodbye to even more.

Here's a running list of the celebrities who are fleeing the nest... or threatening to do so.

https://news.sky.com/story/its-been-fun-twitter-im-out-eight-celebrities-who-might-quit-site-after-elon-musks-takeover-12735725

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Amazing isn't how negative certain people are now about Twitter now Musk owns it. The very same people that went out of their way to defend it previously, but now all of a sudden it was always a terrible thing. ;)

Before Musk purchased Twitter

"Twitter is a private company and can ban whoever they want. Just make your own Twitter if you don't like their rules." 

After Musk purchased Twitter: 

"Nobody likes Elon Musk"  

"Musk isn't coooool"

"Twitter is a useless APP/Website... "UM Website is better"

"I don't use Twitter or know anybody who does use it" 

"People who do use Twitter will leave en masse" 

"Musk is going to use Twitter to control everybody with the help of China and Saudi Arabia" 

"Free speech is dAnGeRoUs" 

:lol:

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Elon Musk pledged to make getting rid of spam accounts one of his main priorities after buying Twitter - but there's another mounting exodus that he perhaps did not intend.

Fears over the SpaceX founder's potentially loose stance on content moderation has plenty of genuine users considering their future on the platform, including some of its famous faces.

So while Twitter could before too long welcome back some of its most infamous banned accounts - chief among them Donald Trump - it may soon be saying goodbye to even more.

Here's a running list of the celebrities who are fleeing the nest... or threatening to do so.

https://news.sky.com/story/its-been-fun-twitter-im-out-eight-celebrities-who-might-quit-site-after-elon-musks-takeover-12735725

Yeah, just like they all fled Spotify because Joe Rogan said stuff they disagreed with... Didn't happen.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, acidhead said:

Yeah, just like they all fled Spotify because Joe Rogan said stuff they disagreed with... Didn't happen.

Funny how so many people feel endangered by Democracy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, acidhead said:

"Twitter is a private company and can ban whoever they want. Just make your own Twitter if you don't like their rules." 

"Nobody likes Elon Musk"  

"Musk isn't coooool"

"Musk is going to use Twitter to control everybody with the help of China and Saudi Arabia" 

Has any poster indicated that Musk cannot or should not moderate as he sees fit? Or that he cannot ban anyone?.

Did you think him calling that British cave diving hero a pedo guy for rejecting his stupid space X idea was cool? You're probably on board with his stupid Covid comments but I though that comment would be a bridge too far, even for a fan like yourself.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, acidhead said:

"Nobody likes Elon Musk"  

"Musk isn't coooool"

Twitter still is a private company and can ban whoever they like.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, acidhead said:

It still is and Elon can put up whatever he wants and ban whatever he wants.   I still won't use it, but not because I hate Elon, just lack of desire or need.   I don't know what I'd do with 5 million followers.:devil:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2