Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Elon Musk buys Twitter

acidhead

Verification/blue checkmark for $8 p/month 

Personally, I'll pass.  I currently fork out exactly zero $ for anything on the internet except my cell phone plan.

• Like 1

Scrolling the replies here's an interesting reply from former woman's tennis legend:  

The checkmark system has been a joke since its inception. If you're a celebrity and willing to pay to keep a blue checkmark, all power to you, I say :tu: 

• Like 2

Why is it $8 a month?

Surely once you're verified, you're verified. You don't become another person each month. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Why is it $8 a month?

Surely once you're verified, you're verified. You don't become another person each month. 

It's a subscription to ensure Twitter is not beholden to advertisers! Seems fair to me, if a celebrity no longer wants their blue checkmark, they'll just not pay for it! Blue checks are not Rights guaranteed by Twitter constitutions! 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

It's a subscription to ensure Twitter is not beholden to advertisers! Seems fair to me, if a celebrity no longer wants their blue checkmark, they'll just not pay for it! Blue checks are not Rights guaranteed by Twitter constitutions! 

How would one go about verifying themselves, by giving personal details?

Paying someone to verify your personal information seems like a great deal, a wonderful deal.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/30/technology/elon-musk-twitter-debt.html

Can Elon Musk Make the Math Work on Owning Twitter? It’s Dicey.

Mr. Musk faces financial challenges in owning Twitter. The site frequently loses money and took on $13 billion in debt for the blockbuster deal.

Consider the magnitudes.  Currently only "important" people get verified, the lords as Elon calls them. The peasants don't.   I read a number today but I have no way to verify it that said there were between 500,000 and 1,000,000 of those across the entire Twitter world. Revenue from that is $8,000,000.  Elon will have to put the bum's rush on the peasants to convince enough of them paying $8 a month will make them feel like lords, or it won't make a difference.

Previous interest payment for Twitter to service their debt was $50MM per year.  The leveraged buyout debt will bring that to roughly $1 Billion.  Last year Twitter earned $683 million. 

Elon is going to cut costs by laying off workers, shutting down R&D, and vacating physical buildings.    That is how it rolls on just about all leveraged buyouts. 

Advertisers are going to remain a big part of the revenue.   If he can get several hundred million people to pay $8 a month to be on Twitter, his troubles are over.

• Like 1

Fgl926iXEAE0nu4.jpg.c4f331d236c53b13ace24caab625d751.jpg

:lol:

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Haha 1

I am still happy to say that I have never used Twitter, Instagram, Tik Tok or most other social media apps.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Myles said:

I am still happy to say that I have never used Twitter, Instagram, Tik Tok or most other social media apps.

Ditto.

Tried Facebook for about an hour 4 years ago. Does that count?

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Ditto.

Tried Facebook for about an hour 4 years ago. Does that count?

I am on Facebook.  I don't post much at all, just keep up with the family and friends and check out some pics.    

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Paranoid Android said:

Well why not call it a premium subscription and be done with it? 

I reckon it will backfire. I haven't seen a positive comment other than yours.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Well why not call it a premium subscription and be done with it? 

I reckon it will backfire. I haven't seen a positive comment other than yours.

I think it'll backfire too. Believe it or not,  I don't think everything Elon touches is gold.  I was simply replying to the question of "why" Musk is doing this! By his own words is about advertisers. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

I think it'll backfire too. Believe it or not,  I don't think everything Elon touches is gold.  I was simply replying to the question of "why" Musk is doing this! By his own words is about advertisers. 

Thanks. Cleared it up for me.

This is the sort of thing that makes him not cool. Why the games? 

He was much better as the quiet space guy. 

• Like 1

I think he bought Twitter as a data investment for his OpenAI project. 6000 Tweets per second, billions of bidirectional interactions daily... yeah, imagine the learning a primed AI could get from that.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, acidhead said:

Haha.. nice one!

He's right. Innuendo, racism, influencers, control, power, political, and social division, grifting, and a whole plethora of negative  aspects that thrive on Twitter. The pluses do not equal the minuses. 

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

He's right. Innuendo, racism, influencers, control, power, political, and social division, grifting, and a whole plethora of negative  aspects that thrive on Twitter. The pluses do not equal the minuses. 

It's been like that forever just like any other social media site.  

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, Myles said:

It's been like that forever just like any other social media site.  

That's right, but now for some unknown reason (:innocent:) it's an issue. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, acidhead said:

Hahaha :rofl: 

Well if he's homeless that fast then he obviously didn't budget his paycheck nor did he save any money. Maybe he spent it all on $8.00 Starbuck coffees. :D

• Like 4
  • Haha 1