Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Elon Musk buys Twitter

acidhead

10 hours ago, Freez1 said:

He’s got more money than he does brains and this could be one of his worst mistakes yet.

:hmm: Wrong. How do you think he made the money......the brains.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Tiggs said:

Where anyone can post whatever they want* -- but no-one has to listen to them.

* Providing their content is legal, obviously.

You mean :-

Fg0sJE_aYAA8xL9.jpg.120eda5e2793c9390ce9b823bf3873e8.jpg

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 11/7/2022 at 9:58 AM, OverSword said:

I don't think it's the government.  I think big tech is mainly ran by left wing ideologues (who are also big wealthy hypocrites) and there is no need for the side of the aisle they favor to coerce them to censor the other side. 

I think it is money, all money.  Seems like a far reach to be left wing when CEO concerns are not about the welfare of anybody but about maintaining control and increasing profits quarter over quarter.  Censorship helps keep things calm with just a few ripples.  Free speech upsets people and interferes with maximizing profits.  Why would any corporation care about citizen free speech over profits?  Its not in their charters. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

I think it is money, all money.  Seems like a far reach to be left wing when CEO concerns are not about the welfare of anybody but about maintaining control and increasing profits quarter over quarter.  Censorship helps keep things calm with just a few ripples.  Free speech upsets people and interferes with maximizing profits.  Why would any corporation care about citizen free speech over profits?  Its not in their charters. 

I think it's past due that "corporations are people" be revisited by the courts.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Because as I stated, they’re ideologues. Why would you not encourage 100% of your market by feeding both sides rather than aiding in censorship of one sides narratives? True believers.

50 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Because as I stated, they’re ideologues. Why would you not encourage 100% of your market by feeding both sides rather than aiding in censorship of one sides narratives? True believers.

Since I don't participate in Twitter, I can't give a meaningful answer.

Do liberals get to say what they believe and are conservatives get stifled for their opinions?   Or is it more?  It is my naïve belief that posters are being  restricted for more threatening personal stuff than political views.  I am just going to go by what Saru does here.  Opinions seem to be OK. False information seems to be tolerated.   Personal attacks and insults seem to be a no-no.   Should Twitter be like 8-Chan?  Are there limits to free speech?  Should Incels be on Twitter telling young women that they know where they live and what they really want is to be stalked and raped by manly men?  Would you want a daughter subject to that?  Certainly is should not use Truth Social as a model because Truth Social and Frank Speech both have censorship.    On the other side of things, should every feed be bombarded by gangsta rap with its disregard for women and police?

You are a logical person, what do you see on Twitter?  Have you witnessed this one sidedness?  How often do conservatives get rebuked and for what?  I will accept your observations.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Since I don't participate in Twitter, I can't give a meaningful answer.

Do liberals get to say what they believe and are conservatives get stifled for their opinions?   Or is it more?  It is my naïve belief that posters are being  restricted for more threatening personal stuff than political views.  I am just going to go by what Saru does here.  Opinions seem to be OK. False information seems to be tolerated.   Personal attacks and insults seem to be a no-no.   Should Twitter be like 8-Chan?  Are there limits to free speech?  Should Incels be on Twitter telling young women that they know where they live and what they really want is to be stalked and raped by manly men?  Would you want a daughter subject to that?  Certainly is should not use Truth Social as a model because Truth Social and Frank Speech both have censorship.    On the other side of things, should every feed be bombarded by gangsta rap with its disregard for women and police?

You are a logical person, what do you see on Twitter?  Have you witnessed this one sidedness?  How often do conservatives get rebuked and for what?  I will accept your observations.

I’m not on it either but I am given to understand people have been kicked off for things like not agreeing with narratives regarding things like  Covid and transgender narratives. There is a Rogan podcast out there in which Rogan and the Timcast guy confront the former head of Twitter and their chief censor. If you’re really interested you could look that up. I listened for about half an hour before I got too busy or too bored but it sounded to me like a lot of the examples that were being given for censorship of right wing talking points the answer from Twitter was I can’t speak to that because I don’t have the deleted tweets here or that we later on reinstated that person, and there was a lot of “this is an evolving process that we are always trying to get right”.  Nothing really too unreasonable but always leaning in the same direction. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

I’m not on it either but I am given to understand people have been kicked off for things like not agreeing with narratives regarding things like  Covid and transgender narratives. There is a Rogan podcast out there in which Rogan and the Timcast guy confront the former head of Twitter and their chief censor. If you’re really interested you could look that up. I listened for about half an hour before I got too busy or too bored but it sounded to me like a lot of the examples that were being given for censorship of right wing talking points the answer from Twitter was I can’t speak to that because I don’t have the deleted tweets here or that we later on reinstated that person, and there was a lot of “this is an evolving process that we are always trying to get right”.  Nothing really too unreasonable but always leaning in the same direction. 

Well, I will take your word for it.  Since I am not on Twitter, its not hard for me to concur that conservatives get censored.   As visible events, I'll just watch to see if Elon improves things and can remain in business.

9 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Well, I will take your word for it.  Since I am not on Twitter, its not hard for me to concur that conservatives get censored.   As visible events, I'll just watch to see if Elon improves things and can remain in business.

The world may be a better place without it. An inherently toxic environment, and overall  poor tool for communication. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OverSword said:

The world may be a better place without it. An inherently toxic environment, and overall  poor tool for communication. 

Maybe.  Investing the time, energy, and visibility to talk face to face may be the best way to exchange ideas.   I am more concerned with schools and  universities failing to be strong advocates of free speech than with what happens to Twitter. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Maybe.  Investing the time, energy, and visibility to talk face to face may be the best way to exchange ideas.   I am more concerned with schools and  universities failing to be strong advocates of free speech than with what happens to Twitter. 

Twitter was helping with that narrative that too many universities and students believe offensive speech is violent and should be banned. No thought given as to who should determine what’s offensive speech 

36 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Twitter was helping with that narrative that too many universities and students believe offensive speech is violent and should be banned. No thought given as to who should determine what’s offensive speech 

Are you suggesting that Twitter could take the role as national arbiter and social conscience as well as public square? I mean, maybe so, But I have not put that together yet.

5 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone here started a Twitter account since Elon took over?

Hi Gromdor

I haven’t nor do I intend to as I don’t think it has anything to offer me. I do have an account with instagram for work/ hobby related purposes and never communicate with anyone outside of those parameters.

3 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Are you suggesting that Twitter could take the role as national arbiter and social conscience as well as public square? I mean, maybe so, But I have not put that together yet.

National arbiter and social conscience? :lol: Maybe in a way, or maybe an ugly reflection.

Have you ever seen this?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

National arbiter and social conscience? :lol: Maybe in a way, or maybe an ugly reflection.

Have you ever seen this?

Thanks I think.  HAs society just become a mass of Karens and Kens?

• Like 1

I thought this guy was supposed to be smart. He'll lose his shirt on this deal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

I thought this guy was supposed to be smart. He'll lose his shirt on this deal.

His has brilliant business smarts!  In the call with employees he said, "We need to bring in more income than we spend or bankruptcy is an option."  What insight!  

• Like 2

On 11/13/2022 at 8:39 AM, OverSword said:

That is facebook and instagram as well.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone here started a Twitter account since Elon took over?

I have had one for years because of a job I had long ago, I did go check it last week.    It doesn't seem any different to me.

4 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I have had one for years because of a job I had long ago, I did go check it last week.    It doesn't seem any different to me.

That figures.  Nothing has changed that affects the average user.  Instead, like most anything else to do with twitter it's drama blown out of proportion.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 9:13 AM, itsnotoutthere said:

:hmm: Wrong. How do you think he made the money......the brains.

No. He HAD money and then made an investment that made him MORE money. When you have nearly infinite resources it becomes easier to seem like  a genius.