Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Elon Musk buys Twitter

acidhead

When the Twitter liberal bias was so rampant pre-Musk, millions of accounts were locked, suspended, or “shadow banned” for merely questioning the rot in our electoral process. Their response? “You don’t like it, leave.” Well, you don’t like it now, leave.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

When the Twitter liberal bias was so rampant pre-Musk, millions of accounts were locked, suspended, or “shadow banned” for merely questioning the rot in our electoral process. Their response? “You don’t like it, leave.” Well, you don’t like it now, leave.

That is the problem though, isn't it?

The people who sign up and follow twitter are like the audience members of a circus.  It used to be free but now Elon wants $8 for tickets.  Those people are sky rocketing while the tickets are free, because who doesn't want to see a circus. Twitter new user signups at an ‘all-time high,’ says Elon Musk | Engadget

But the advertisers- the ones that really pay for the circus don't like it and are leaving.  They are the important ones because Twitter is still a business first and foremost. 50 of Twitter's top 100 advertisers have pulled out of the platform since Elon Musk took over, report says (yahoo.com)

Edited by Gromdor
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

That is the problem though, isn't it?

The people who sign up and follow twitter are like the audience members of a circus.  It used to be free but now Elon want's $8 for tickets.  Those people are sky rocketing while the tickets are free, because who doesn't want to see a circus. Twitter new user signups at an ‘all-time high,’ says Elon Musk | Engadget

But the advertisers- the ones that really pay for the circus don't like it and are leaving.  They are the important ones because Twitter is still a business first and foremost. 50 of Twitter's top 100 advertisers have pulled out of the platform since Elon Musk took over, report says (yahoo.com)

No. The problem was that Twitter was a woke liberal echo chamber, in no way shape or form was it a place for free speech. Anybody who opposed the liberal (leftist) woke orthodoxy was kicked out, hopefully that will now change.

p.s. Before Musk took over, Twitter was losing $4 million a day. Any wonder he's had a staff cull & is charging $8?

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, itsnotoutthere said:

No. The problem was that Twitter was a woke liberal echo chamber, in no way shape or form was it a place for free speech. Anybody who opposed the liberal (leftist) woke orthodoxy was kicked out, hopefully that will now change.

Ah, that explains why certain people don't seem to care if it gets destroyed in the process.  

You know, a weird thing, the only people I know both in real life and this forum that have Twitter accounts are right leaning people. Hacktorp used to post tweets all the time with the #qanon tag.  Acidhead pretty much only posts Tweets.  So I am a little skeptical about your claims of it being a "Woke Liberal Echo Chamber".  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Ah, that explains why certain people don't seem to care if it gets destroyed in the process.  

You know, a weird thing, the only people I know both in real life and this forum that have Twitter accounts are right leaning people. Hacktorp used to post tweets all the time with the #qanon tag.  Acidhead pretty much only posts Tweets.  So I am a little skeptical about your claims of it being a "Woke Liberal Echo Chamber".  

Jesus...hope you are joking. You can't be that out of touch surely. Why do you think there's been such a melt down amongst them since Musk took over???

Edited by itsnotoutthere

1 minute ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Jesus...hope you are joking. You can't be that out of touch surely.

Perhaps.... Do you use Twitter?  Or are we both just speaking about something we aren't a part of?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Perhaps.... Do you use Twitter?  Or are we both just speaking about something we aren't a part of?

No I don't, or Facebook or Instagram, but I can see what many others can see.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2022/10/28/elon-musk-and-the-great-fear-of-free-speech/  Why even the hint of more liberty sends the woke set into meltdown.

For months now, the prospect of a little more leeway to say what you want online has been driving the woke elites to the cliff edge of sanity. ‘I am frightened by the impact on society and politics if Elon Musk acquires Twitter’, said Max Boot of the Washington Post. Shorter version: I am frightened of freedom. Jeff Jarvis of the City University of New York went full Godwin’s Law. ‘Today on Twitter’, he said back when it first seemed that Musk would get it, ‘feels like the last evening in a Berlin nightclub at the twilight of Weimar Germany’.

Edited by itsnotoutthere

No I don't, but I can see what many others can see.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2022/10/28/elon-musk-and-the-great-fear-of-free-speech/  Why even the hint of more liberty sends the woke set into meltdown.

For months now, the prospect of a little more leeway to say what you want online has been driving the woke elites to the cliff edge of sanity. ‘I am frightened by the impact on society and politics if Elon Musk acquires Twitter’, said Max Boot of the Washington Post. Shorter version: I am frightened of freedom. Jeff Jarvis of the City University of New York went full Godwin’s Law. ‘Today on Twitter’, he said back when it first seemed that Musk would get it, ‘feels like the last evening in a Berlin nightclub at the twilight of Weimar Germany’.

So we are both basing our judgements on hearsay rather than actual experience.   

I haven't seen anything to show a change of Freedom of Speech at Twitter.  People are still gettting banned/remain banned.  A poster here even gave examples.  Take Alex Jones for example.  The only difference I see is that the person who gets to decide what is too horrible to publish has changed.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

So we are both basing our judgements on hearsay rather than actual experience.   

I haven't seen anything to show a change of Freedom of Speech at Twitter.  People are still gettting banned/remain banned.  A poster here even gave examples.  Take Alex Jones for example.  The only difference I see is that the person who gets to decide what is too horrible to publish has changed.

Yes, so why all the fuss from the woke liberals?

Edited by itsnotoutthere

18 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Who can hate Bill Gates,

I can because I have to use his buggy wasteful idiotic products for work.  If there is a better way to do something Microsoft avoids it and that has been true even when it was just Gates and his friends, now it is obvious that he has low paid programmers working round the clock to "make one thing better" at the expense of other things.   It is his company and his philosophy that runs that place even though he has no hands on work nowadays.  Not to mention the way he became the most used OS in the industry was a slimy way to go about it.   No rational reason that Microsoft should be the most used, as they are not the best or least expensive.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

I agree that Elon is a likeable guy.  I think he wants the best for humanity based on his opinion.  Who comes after him? I do not trust the system of tax breaks and hero worship that elevates a human with all of their positive and negative attributes to a position of that much power.  

Bezos started out just wanting to sell books, Zuckerberg wanted a way for shy guys to meet girls, the guys who built Google just wanted a better browser.   Good intentions no doubt. Who can hate Bill Gates, he just wants to eliminate disease, at least publicly. One thing leads to another.  At some point it does come down to money because money is what gave all of these guys power.  Elon needs money for his projects too, even the benevolent ones.  So, he can fund a government that gives him tax breaks, a waiver on some environmental regulations, maybe some favorable rulings on his labor disputes.

It is easy to slip personal interests into first priority ahead of the good of humanity.  We all do it on a small scale.  So to with Elon.  He doesn't want to repair earth, he wants humanity to colonize hostile worlds where every colonist would rely on the authority that provides the air water and food.  That is a choice Elon makes based on personal opinion.  Is it better for humanity in the long run than preserving what we currently have? I am still stuck in my cynicism. I think Elon has a personal opinion, not insight into the workings of the universe.

I agree that the idea that to ensure survival of the human race is not to colonize mars, but to make things better on earth, however I also see how impossible that task is based on the current philosophies of our "leaders", where money and control of resources trumps survival.   I could see people in space colonies being dependent like you describe, or being independent if they have the right tools.   

P.S.  I don't think Mars it the place to start.  We need to look outside our solar system to find a suitable planet, I just see heartache and failure trying to colonize mars.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

But that's exactly what we had before Elon bought it. 

Free speech for everybody is precisely what the previous owners didn't want.

And do you and Elon want that or just a different criteria for exclusion?

• Like 3

19 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

That was already happening. I can’t remember your stance, but many here had no problem when Twitter was censoring people who hadn’t even broken Twitter rules. 

So far looks like there is going to be less bots. Less censorship. Gone are the days workers can ban you for a personal wrong think grudge. Oh and he’s kicking out the peso’s. Can’t believe that’s a thing. YouTube does nothing about pedo’s either.

Anyhow, looks more like a true public square right now then it did before he got there. 

It looks more re like a mess to me. 

There's no accountability. Twitter isn't at all working on democratic principles, it's deploying advertising principles. It's astounding people don't see this and think because the whackos get a voice that we have democracy. 

If that space cadet Musk was to be held accountable for misinformation on Twitter I bet the tune would be quite different. 

He's thrown a bone out to placate the noisy anti everything crowd. Bad management IMHO. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I agree that the idea that to ensure survival of the human race is not to colonize mars, but to make things better on earth, however I also see how impossible that task is based on the current philosophies of our "leaders", where money and control of resources trumps survival.   I could see people in space colonies being dependent like you describe, or being independent if they have the right tools.   

P.S.  I don't think Mars it the place to start.  We need to look outside our solar system to find a suitable planet, I just see heartache and failure trying to colonize mars.

I've always thought Venus the best option.

2 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

64118-acfc8389-6820-4220-b931-9b00ce5aabf0.jpg.ce16d9f1ce504693b5b93c2cbf8abdc6.jpg

Hi Its

I might think it was relevant if nazi Germany still existed but it doesn’t and hasn’t for some time.

That said after watching videos of Teslas exploding while charging am not convinced that buying one is something that I would consider worthwhile.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, psyche101 said:

I've always thought Venus the best option.

Venus has clouds of sulfuric acid and is the hottest planet in the solar system at around 475 Celsius.   

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Its

I might think it was relevant if nazi Germany still existed but it doesn’t and hasn’t for some time.

That said after watching videos of Teslas exploding while charging am not convinced that buying one is something that I would consider worthwhile.

Erm...it's a joke. And to be honest I don't think any EV is worth buying.

FipuWaEXwAcWkxQ.jpg.955bde9ef60e46e63ce78ac529ed1631.jpg

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Erm...it's a joke. And to be honest I don't think any EV is worth buying.

Hi Its

I guess I didn’t find humour in calling Germany racist white supremest as a comparison 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Its

I guess I didn’t find humour in calling Germany racist white supremest as a comparison 

And yet many American politicians, celebrities & Twitter users would about their own countrymen.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

And yet many American politicians, celebrities & Twitter users would about their own countrymen.

Hi Its

Is that what it is when Americans accuse Americans of being a racist or white supremest , a joke?

I could care less what people do in their backyard 

I didn’t see the humour in the gif oh well said my piece so what.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Its

Is that what it is when Americans accuse Americans of being a racist or white supremest , a joke?

I could care less what people do in their backyard 

I didn’t see the humour in the gif oh well said my piece so what.

Well the thing is, those on the left of the political spectrum do it so much that really yes it has become a joke.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well the thing is, those on the left of the political spectrum do it so much that really yes it has become a joke.

Hi Its

Being non-political I guess the humour evades me. Basically our discussion is a non-issue so this will be my last response on it.

• Like 2