Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Conan the Bacterium' could survive on Mars for 280 million years

UM-Bot

9 hours ago, UM-Bot said:

An Earth-based extremophile has shown that it is possible for life to survive on Mars for very long periods of time.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/361582/conan-the-bacterium-could-survive-on-mars-for-280-million-years

Reality check....

extremophiles are found on Earth...how would they have ever gotten to Mars?

8 hours ago, joc said:

Reality check....

Bacteria could survive the travel from Earth to Mars, and vice versa, when forming aggregates

The hypothesis called “panspermia” proposes an interplanetary transfer of life. Microbes inside shielding material such as rocks could be protected from UV-irradiation and survive during space travel as supported by the “lithopanspermia” theory.

https://blog.frontiersin.org/2020/08/26/bacteria-could-survive-the-travel-from-earth-to-mars-and-vice-versa-when-forming-aggregates/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jethrofloyd said:

Bacteria could survive the travel from Earth to Mars, and vice versa, when forming aggregates

The hypothesis called “panspermia” proposes an interplanetary transfer of life. Microbes inside shielding material such as rocks could be protected from UV-irradiation and survive during space travel as supported by the “lithopanspermia” theory.

https://blog.frontiersin.org/2020/08/26/bacteria-could-survive-the-travel-from-earth-to-mars-and-vice-versa-when-forming-aggregates/

Imagine microscopic life-forms, such as bacteria, transported through space, and landing on another planet. The bacteria finding suitable conditions for its survival could then start multiplying again, sparking life at the other side of the universe. 

I am still trying to imagine anything leaving Earth period.  We have this little problem...it's called The Atmosphere.  In order to travel through space, one first must travel through that Atmosphere Barrier...Unless you are using propulsion rockets, it is only a one way street up there.  Things can come in, but nothing can come out  

So, if anyone can tell me I am wrong and why I will certainly listen.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, joc said:

I am still trying to imagine anything leaving Earth period.  We have this little problem...it's called The Atmosphere.  In order to travel through space, one first must travel through that Atmosphere Barrier...Unless you are using propulsion rockets, it is only a one way street up there.  Things can come in, but nothing can come out  

So, if anyone can tell me I am wrong and why I will certainly listen.

Large meteorite impacts (like Chicxulub) can (in theory) eject material out of the atmosphere at velocities capable of escaping Earth's gravity.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Essan said:

Large meteorite impacts (like Chicxulub) can (in theory) eject material out of the atmosphere at velocities capable of escaping Earth's gravity.  

Thanks.  So, let's say that happened.  How exactly then would a meteor of earthly origin find it's way to Mars?  

18 minutes ago, joc said:

How exactly then would a meteor of earthly origin find it's way to Mars?  

I don't know exactly how. But, the most important is, it can happen. The proof of this is that a meteorites from the Earth have been found on the Moon.

Ancient Earth rock found on the moon   - https://www.science.org/content/article/ancient-earth-rock-found-moon

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, jethrofloyd said:

I don't know exactly how. But, the most important is, it can happen. The proof of this is that a meteorites from the Earth have been found on the Moon.

Ancient Earth rock found on the moon   - https://www.science.org/content/article/ancient-earth-rock-found-moon

"It's a very provocative conclusion but it could be right," 

The other side of Could is Couldn't.  Not really buying that and it doesn't matter...there was no life on Earth 4 billion years ago...and someone is going to have to be able to explain 'exactly' how that occurred and explain what relevance it has to do with the point Essan illustrated. 

I think the only way Extremophiles could be on Mars is if they were stowaways  on a Man Made Rocketship...rover, etc.

Besides all that, the story doesn't say that Extremophiles are 'on' Mars...just that they could survive there.

Edited by joc

13 hours ago, joc said:

Reality check....

The article doesn't say that these extremophiles went from Earth to Mars.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Abramelin said:

The article doesn't say that these extremophiles went from Earth to Mars.

I know.  It doesn't even say that they are on Mars.  It just says they could have survived there for 280 million years.  Maybe I didn't read the article close enough...so...is this article about extremophiles, or extremophiles on Mars?

5 minutes ago, joc said:

...so...is this article about extremophiles, or extremophiles on Mars.

One recent study focused on a type of Earth-based extremophile known as Deinococcus radiodura

Well, as I understand it, it's about Earth-based extremophiles chances of making it on Mars.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, joc said:

I know.  It doesn't even say that they are on Mars.  It just says they could have survived there for 280 million years.  Maybe I didn't read the article close enough...so...is this article about extremophiles, or extremophiles on Mars?

As far as I think I understood it, the article suggest that lifeforms like that bacterium, "Conan", is able to survive in conditions in Martian history.

Also that we should take great care not to contaminate Martian soil with our space probes and toys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Abramelin said:

Also that we should take great care not to contaminate Martian soil with our space probes and toys.

As we did with tardigrades on the Moon. :angry:

Tardigrades: 'Water bears' stuck on the moon after crash''

The moon might now be home to thousands of planet Earth's most indestructible animals. Tardigrades - often called water bears - are creatures under a millimetre long that can survive being heated to 150C and frozen to almost absolute zero.

They were travelling on an Israeli spacecraft that crash-landed on the moon in April.

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-49265125

• Like 4

What is so bad about Tardigrades being on the Moon?  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, joc said:

What is so bad about Tardigrades being on the Moon?  

Maybe nothing. It's just that WE ARE NOT MORE ALONE IN THE UNIVERSE! :D

• Haha 1

Captain's Log Stardate 3732.6

It appears that the Tardigrade Wars have begun and extend to every sector of the Quadrant.  We have set course for the Orion Constellation to intercept Extremoborgs headed to Earth.  It seems the old saying what comes around goes around is true in this instance. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

And when they go search for lifeforms on Mars, they'll probably have to drill, and drill deep:

Miles below ground, live the creatures of the Deep

(...)

We can only speculate about what they live from, » says Antje Boetius. Mineral gas is being considered.The craziest part is the incredible age of the cells, » she marvels. These cells accumulate the necessary carbon so slowly into their organisms that they might be dividing only every 100 to 500 years. 

(...)

A hot thesis discussed by the scientists at the AGU meeting: life might not have originated, as hitherto generally accepted, in pools of water where, driven by solar energy and lightning strikes, the building blocks of life might have formed out of simple basic elements. The source of earthly life might more possibly lay in deep crevices of the Earth’s crust, where the primordial Soup would have been better protected from the extreme radiation and meteorite impacts of the earliest times. The beings of the depth might therefore be relics of the primordial Soup. And they have the best of chances to be around until the end. When the sun is turned off and all life dies on Earth, the microbes in the underground could well go on with the lives. The true masters of Earth dwell in its depths. This insight, means Colwell, could be a decisive clue in the search for life on other planets. 

Axel Bojanowski (Der Spiegel, 12.13.2013) Translated by Anne-Marie de Grazia.

https://www.q-mag.org/miles-below-ground-live-the-creatures-of-the-deep.html

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Abramelin said:

I forgot to post the most important quote from that site:

Genetic analysis reveals that the critters are all the same, the world over. Might they have been at the origin of life itself?

• Like 1

On 10/30/2022 at 6:00 PM, Abramelin said:

I forgot to post the most important quote from that site:

Genetic analysis reveals that the critters are all the same, the world over. Might they have been at the origin of life itself?

@astrobeing

You have any opinion about this or my former post?

• 1 month later...