Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can a musical reminder banish bad dreams?

Still Waters

Posted (IP: Staff) ·

Maybe you’re inside your house, or walking through the park down the street. The scene around you is vividly real, yet altered in ways that are making you feel uneasy. Family and friends appear, but conversations produce a sense of anxiety or even dread. Disturbing emotions begin to build into fear, and then terror. You’re being chased. You’re trapped. You’re falling. Your life is in grave danger—then you’re suddenly jolted awake.

Emerging from nightmares, sweaty and with a pounding heart, provides at least a momentary sense of relief. It wasn’t real.

Now, a study published this week in Current Biology suggests an intriguing method that might help sleepers take more control of their dreams. Sounds played during sleep may reduce the frequency of nightmares and promote positive emotions that can help lead to a better slumber.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/can-certain-sounds-help-sleepers-overcome-nightmares-180981031/

https://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(22)01477-4

• Like 2

That was such a good article, thank you for posting that.  

Some of my combat buddies and I chat all the time about dealing with PTSD.  Days can be bad, nights can be worse.  The sleep / dream manipulation concepts are interesting -- but I'm not sure how they will filter down from the lab to peoples' houses who live on a fixed income or a government pension.  Maybe the IRT images and sounds they only vaguely discussed can be made into an app?  

The research ideas might help, maybe they won't.  It's a lot like diets.  Different things work for different people at different times as we age.  But Schwartz and Barrett are taking a scientific approach to healing.  God bless them.  I wish there were more researchers in this line of work. 

• Like 3

Lowland pipes do it for me.

19 hours ago, Megaro said:

That was such a good article, thank you for posting that.  

Some of my combat buddies and I chat all the time about dealing with PTSD.  Days can be bad, nights can be worse.  The sleep / dream manipulation concepts are interesting -- but I'm not sure how they will filter down from the lab to peoples' houses who live on a fixed income or a government pension.  Maybe the IRT images and sounds they only vaguely discussed can be made into an app?  

The research ideas might help, maybe they won't.  It's a lot like diets.  Different things work for different people at different times as we age.  But Schwartz and Barrett are taking a scientific approach to healing.  God bless them.  I wish there were more researchers in this line of work. 

There are apps like Insight Timer that give you things you can test.  My cousin is the one who told me about that specific app because she found some of the sleep options to help her.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds helpful if (as article states) it worked for 70-80% of patients. Similar dream experiments have been done before. Condition yourself & change the perception of what scares you.