Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

South Korea Halloween crush kills 120, injures 100 in Seoul

Still Waters

Guest chiron613

That is truly awful... so many people, just trying to have some fun.

I don't remember ever hearing of such fatalities in an uncontrolled crowd.  120 people gone...

This is just CRAZY!!

So killed by being crushed by people pushing each other? What could be sooooooooo good that crowd A has to push and kill people in crowd B? Were they giving out thousand dollar bills or something?

Just crazy.

• Like 3

The same thing has happened during soccer matches.

When the number of gathered people goes up, the intelligence of that crowd goes way down.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

This is just CRAZY!!

So killed by being crushed by people pushing each other? What could be sooooooooo good that crowd A has to push and kill people in crowd B? Were they giving out thousand dollar bills or something?

Just crazy.

An AC/DC concert or a charity basketball game perhaps?

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

An AC/DC concert or a charity basketball game perhaps?

Maybe for AC/DC I could get into such a pushing fit. Got to get up front!!!

Off topic: My 14 year old daughter wears Metallica, AC/DC, Nirvana, and other Rock T-shirts, but can't name a single song any of them sang. Amusing....

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 3

Latest update - death toll 147.  :(   What a horrible way to die...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Piney said:

I hope @Piney's_Little_Ninja's father's family didn't have any relatives in that horror. :hmm:

It’s a really crazy situation here in Korea, they still don’t know what caused it to occur. I mean it happened on a open street with a downward incline. At first it was reported that there was a gas leak people smelled it and started running then herd mentality kicked in, but now the gas leak has been refuted. This is a very tragic situation I don’t understand or can even comprehend how this occurred on a unblocked open street.:(

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

6 hours ago, Abramelin said:

The same thing has happened during soccer matches.

When the number of gathered people goes up, the intelligence of that crowd goes way down.

I don't really think it has anything to do with intelligence.  I went to a Bon Jovi concert in Oklahoma City once...back when they were incredibly huge.  We were standing on the floor and when they took the stage there was an uncontrollable surge of people moving toward the front of the stage.  The most terrifying thing I have ever experienced...no control...we didn't fall down but it was all we could do to stay standing.   I remember a dozen or so people died in the same way at an AC/DC concert.  If you fall down, you can't get up and the people surging cannot avoid stepping on you...no where else to step.  One reason I don't like large crowds to this day.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

2 hours ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

It’s a really crazy situation here in Korea, they still don’t know what caused it to occur. I mean it happened on a open street with a downward incline. At first it was reported that there was a gas leak people smelled it and started running then herd mentality kicked in, but now the gas leak has been refuted. This is a very tragic situation I don’t understand or can even comprehend how this occurred on a unblocked open street.:(

Another concert...ZZ Top at the State Fair of Texas...not a trampling kind of crowd, but we got so locked in, so tight together it was literally fighting just to stay standing...a mass of people like that, packed like Sardines...obviously not Social Distancing anymore...horrible.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, joc said:

Another concert...ZZ Top at the State Fair of Texas...not a trampling kind of crowd, but we got so locked in, so tight together it was literally fighting just to stay standing...a mass of people like that, packed like Sardines...obviously not Social Distancing anymore...horrible.

This situation is really crazy, it happened on a side street that they said on the news here was approximately 14 feet wide that wasn’t closed off on either side. I can’t imagine what it was like for those people, I guess as people fell others just kept running over and crushing them. They still have not reported what caused the situation to start, man it’s really a sad sad situation.:(

They are now reporting over 160 deaths.

Edited by Grim Reaper 6
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

Here is latest report I was able to find.

At least 151 people were killed and dozens injured following a stampede during Halloween celebrations in Seoul, marking one of the worst accidents in South Korea in years. The stampede occurred Saturday night in the popular nightlife district of Itaewon, after a large number of people entered a narrow alley behind the Hamilton Hotel, fire and police authorities said in televised briefings. President Yoon Suk Yeol declared a period of national mourning from Sunday and vowed to carry out a thorough investigation.

There were 19 foreigners among those killed, including nationals from Iran, China, Uzbekistan and Norway, authorities said Sunday. Of 82 others injured in the stampede, 19 are in serious condition, they said. There were 355 people reported missing in Seoul, YTN reported.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/seoul-stampede-leaves-over-150-dead-at-halloween-festivities/ar-AA13wyjN?ocid=EMMX&cvid=f759f1ced63c461c8bef3bef834f07c1

• Sad 5

I read they thought there was a celebrity in the area that caused a rush to see them.  Pretty sad that for whatever reason  this happened.   Those poor people, what a horrible way to die.  And the survivors, wondering if they were tge ones who trampled someone to death

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

I read they thought there was a celebrity in the area that caused a rush to see them.  Pretty sad that for whatever reason  this happened.   Those poor people, what a horrible way to die.  And the survivors, wondering if they were tge ones who trampled someone to death

There is no wondering about, if someone trampled someone it’s not like you wouldn’t have known that you stepped upon another person. While I doubt anyone could have avoided it with a huge crowd pushing them, but for those who trampled people they will have to live with it for the rest of their lives. Sadly I doubt that will be an easy thing to do, it’s a dam shame that people just went out to enjoy themselves and the night ended in such a horrific tragedy!:(

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

There is no wondering about, if someone trampled someone it’s not like you wouldn’t have known that you stepped upon another person. While I doubt anyone could have avoided it with a huge crowd pushing them, but for those who trampled people they will have to live with it for the rest of their lives. Sadly I doubt that will be an easy thing to do, it’s a dam shame that people just went out to enjoy themselves and the night ended in such a horrific tragedy!:(

It's not like all these people are running...it is a throng of people literally packed together...you aren't running you are more like surging...you can't not surge.  And I think typically what happens is that one person will fall and you have no control over the surge or where you are going...you are just going...and then you don't see the one who fell and you trip and fall and it becomes a domino affect...but the crowd keeps surging.  These are not individuals anymore...they are Plural...they are The Crowd.  The crowd surges and like being in the waves as they roll in when the big waves roll in they are going to take you with them.  No control.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Live updates from the BBC.

Police say 141 out of 153 people known to have died have been identified and their families have been notified,

133 people were injured, and cites officials saying 37 of those sustained serious injuries.

Most victims were teenagers and adults in their 20s

Twenty foreign nationals are among the dead.

Two US citizens were among the fatalities from last night's crush, the US embassy in Seoul has just confirmed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-asia-63442399

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Number of dead rises to 154

At least 154 people died in the crush on Saturday night, the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency says.

Of those who died, 98 were women and 56 were men.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-asia-63442399

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Seoul crowd crush: PM and police admit failures as memorial services held

The death toll from Saturday’s crowd crush during Halloween celebrations in the nightlife district of Itaewon rose to 156 on Tuesday, amid public anger over what some have called a “man-made disaster”.

South Korea’s prime minister, Han Duck-soo, has called Saturday’s deadly Halloween crush in Seoul a “disastrous accident that should not have happened”, as the first memorial services were held amid growing public anger.

Expressing sorrow to bereaved families, he admitted that institutional failures in managing crowds played a role in the disaster, and said the government would work with all ministries, agencies and medical institutions to ensure such problems during spontaneous events never happened again.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/nov/01/seoul-halloween-crowd-crush-south-korea-itaewon-police-response

• Sad 1

First calls to police made four hours before Seoul Halloween crush turned deadly

Roughly 100,000 people were estimated to be in Itaewon on Saturday, an area known for its hills and narrow alleys.

Authorities say there were 137 police officers there at the time.

https://news.sky.com/story/first-calls-to-police-made-four-hours-before-seoul-halloween-crush-turned-deadly-12735722

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A South Korean police officer, under investigation over the deadly Halloween crush in Seoul, has been found dead at his home in a suspected suicide.

The 55-year-old, identified as Inspector Jeong, was an intelligence officer working with the local police.

Jeong was a suspect in an investigation over the police's response to the crush, which tragically killed 156 mostly young people, and injured 196.

He was suspended on Wednesday, after allegedly covering up police failings.

Jeong was accused of ordering colleagues to delete an intelligence report - written ahead of the Halloween event - which warned of the possibility of a serious incident taking place.

Local media reports say a family member found the officer at 12:45 local time at his home in northern Seoul on Friday. Police are investigating the circumstances of his death.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-63594243

• Like 1

So was there even security during this event?