Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ouija boards: three factors that might explain why they appear to work for some

Still Waters

Despite being around for more than 100 years, Ouija boards (a wooden board covered with the letters of the alphabet, the numbers 0-9 and the words “yes”, “no” and “goodbye”) continue to be a popular activity – especially around Halloween. To work, all participants must place their hands on the wooden pointer (or planchette) and ask any present “spirits” to answer their questions by moving the planchette around the board to spell out their response.

While some see it as a harmless parlour game, others swear by the board’s ability to communicate with those who have passed to the “other side”. But though science suggests that ghosts aren’t behind the board’s mysterious movements, the explanation for how they do work isn’t as straightforward as you might expect.

https://theconversation.com/ouija-boards-three-factors-that-might-explain-why-they-appear-to-work-for-some-193059

• Like 6

From the article:

"As some experts note, the public’s desire to communicate with the dead tends to become more popular following times of social and political upheaval. Given the present social, economic, and political climate – including the COVID-19 pandemic, the ongoing war in Ukraine and the cost-of-living crisis – it’s entirely possible that we will see a return to the seance rooms of the Victorian era. Or at the very least, on TikTok."

I'm wondering if it's also the case that, during such times of upheaval and multiple deaths, the dead are more likely to want to communicate with us.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

As Piney said, a ouija board is a focusing tool — Like a crystal ball is just a sphere of glass.

One thing puzzles me, though.....

Why does it attract 'low spirits'?  It's never your favourite grandmother.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, acute said:

As Piney said, a ouija board is a focusing tool — Like a crystal ball is just a sphere of glass.

Because they're the earthbound ones. The deranged and deficient.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

These talking boards have been around for a long time. That is their proper name: talking boards. The ouija board, yes in French and German, is just one variety.

If you're interested in their history check out this link

https://robertmurch.com/

• Like 5

Did those believing in talking boards know these boards have been sold in toy stores since 1890? And that is without any gaps. It's 130+ years of selling toys.

• Like 5

On 10/31/2022 at 4:51 PM, ouija ouija said:

From the article:

"As some experts note, the public’s desire to communicate with the dead tends to become more popular following times of social and political upheaval. Given the present social, economic, and political climate – including the COVID-19 pandemic, the ongoing war in Ukraine and the cost-of-living crisis – it’s entirely possible that we will see a return to the seance rooms of the Victorian era. Or at the very least, on TikTok."

I'm wondering if it's also the case that, during such times of upheaval and multiple deaths, the dead are more likely to want to communicate with us.

I feel that much of the communicating between us and the dead is largely one-way traffic. 

• Like 5

Just imagine how the spirits feel. Like 'I'm just trying to enjoy the afterlife, but here comes Johnny with his goddam board game again.'

Edited by HSlim
  • Haha 4

There may be something to all the explanations, but I feel spirit influence is still a real factor in some cases.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/31/2022 at 4:51 PM, ouija ouija said:

From the article:

User name checks out... seems appropriate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have to admit that I am a total amateur in this field. May I ask then Is the use of these talking boards something like a 'Dowsing of spirits/ghosts'?

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 8:07 AM, acute said:

Because human spirits have already passed over. These other things picked up aren't spirits they are entities, usually negative. Whether they are created from the player's darker side or are independent is the question.

Edited by openozy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/1/2022 at 4:18 AM, XenoFish said:

A tool for communicating with one's own subconscious and resulting ideomotor effect. 

I believe the first part but I believe other things can be created to become something tangible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, openozy said:

I believe the first part but I believe other things can be created to become something tangible.

Yes, me too. I've  often wondered if people with latent tk have affected a few sessions. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, openozy said:

Yep, hallucinations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

From the article:

”So when using a Ouija board with other people, the excitement of the highly charged environment may make it easier for us to start to empathise with those around us.”

I may be overthinking this, but it’d be interesting to see the results of studies with one person using a ouija board while blindfolded and using a touch-sensitive computer screen with a rearranged alphabet. 

As a side note: I’ve just realized that “ouija” is a perfect opening word for WORDLE.  :tu: 

Well, it worked, but it was a close call.

Edited by simplybill

On 11/1/2022 at 11:39 PM, stereologist said:

These talking boards have been around for a long time. That is their proper name: talking boards. The ouija board, yes in French and German, is just one variety.

If you're interested in their history check out this link

https://robertmurch.com/

I love that the world's leading expert on Ouija boards was inspired to take up his hobby because of Kevin Tenney's Witchboard movie. Night of the Demons is my go-to Halloween film. 

Edited by Gilbert Syndrome

Interesting that any so-called 'spirit' or 'entity' is often, if not always, associated with 'evil'. Interesting how we view the world.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 5:40 PM, Hankenhunter said:

Yes, me too. I've  often wondered if people with latent tk have affected a few sessions. 

The mind is a powerful thing, I think most could in the right state.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, openozy said:

The mind is a powerful thing, I think most could in the right state.

It would help explain poltergeists. Would be cool to have a talent like tk. I think it would be a double edged sword though. The opportunities for misuse would be legion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Portre said:

What is being focused?

Intentions.