Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ring Orb

mre11878

It goes on the far side of the porch pillar, so I don't think it is anything on the lens. 

I assume it set off motion detection since you noticed it. Correct? 

I think these things can be paranormal. We had a very similar looking thing come up on this forum that the camera saw and a security guard also saw with his naked eyes.

Anything else suspicious been happening? 

I actually checked to see if I had received an Amazon package, when I saw this footage cause I was not home at the time. Haven't had any other things happen that I could say.

What is backscatter in a photo?In photography, backscatter (also called near-camera reflection) is an optical phenomenon resulting in typically circular artifacts on an image, due to the camera's flash being reflected from unfocused motes of dust, water droplets, or other particles in the air or water.

This is from the Community Manager at the Ring forum…

Hi neighbors! I know there has been quite a bit of back and forth between what these orbs are and I wanted to share a bit more information on what you are seeing.

The orbs you see are in fact bugs, such as a small clover mite or spider, crawling over the lens of your device or a few flying items (such as dust) bunched together at a close distance to the lens of your device.

Similar to putting your finger directly underneath the camera on your phone, you’ll see your finger appear fuzzy and out of focus - this is due to the focal point of your finger in comparison to the lens. You’ll also notice background items to be clear - similar to the videos you have been sharing.

The reason why you may receive a motion alert is because prior to walking over the lens, the item has passed in front of 1,2 or all 3 of the PIR (Passive Infrared Sensors). These sensors detect “heat” and as an object closer is MUCH larger than an object farther away that heat appears very large to the sensor.

Some of you have been saying that these can not be bugs due to cold weather – your device does throw off both heat and light (infrared, reflections of the lens, etc) and bugs will definitely be attracted to this - no matter the season!

I hope this helps explain the ‘fuzzy orb’ you sometimes see at night. We will now be accepting this post as an accepted solution. Thank you!

This is an explanation from a company called SimpliSafe…

When in lowlight settings, your camera may pick up ghost-like "orbs" while recording. Don't worry—there's nothing supernatural going on. These orbs are called backscatter, or near-camera reflection. Backscatter happens when dust, water droplets, or other particles are present on or very close to the lens, causing light to reflect through the unfocused images.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

What is backscatter in a photo?In photography, backscatter (also called near-camera reflection) is an optical phenomenon resulting in typically circular artifacts on an image, due to the camera's flash being reflected from unfocused motes of dust, water droplets, or other particles in the air or water.

This is from the Community Manager at the Ring forum…

Hi neighbors! I know there has been quite a bit of back and forth between what these orbs are and I wanted to share a bit more information on what you are seeing.

The orbs you see are in fact bugs, such as a small clover mite or spider, crawling over the lens of your device or a few flying items (such as dust) bunched together at a close distance to the lens of your device.

Similar to putting your finger directly underneath the camera on your phone, you’ll see your finger appear fuzzy and out of focus - this is due to the focal point of your finger in comparison to the lens. You’ll also notice background items to be clear - similar to the videos you have been sharing.

The reason why you may receive a motion alert is because prior to walking over the lens, the item has passed in front of 1,2 or all 3 of the PIR (Passive Infrared Sensors). These sensors detect “heat” and as an object closer is MUCH larger than an object farther away that heat appears very large to the sensor.

Some of you have been saying that these can not be bugs due to cold weather – your device does throw off both heat and light (infrared, reflections of the lens, etc) and bugs will definitely be attracted to this - no matter the season!

I hope this helps explain the ‘fuzzy orb’ you sometimes see at night. We will now be accepting this post as an accepted solution. Thank you!

This is an explanation from a company called SimpliSafe…

When in lowlight settings, your camera may pick up ghost-like "orbs" while recording. Don't worry—there's nothing supernatural going on. These orbs are called backscatter, or near-camera reflection. Backscatter happens when dust, water droplets, or other particles are present on or very close to the lens, causing light to reflect through the unfocused images.

Sorry, that does not explain how it travels behind the wooden suport beam then in front of the bushes. When you look closer, you can clearly see through the object. This is not Backscatter. It is literally moving around things, look closer at the video.

• Haha 1

It's not going behind the post, it's blending into it since they are the same shade of b/w on the cheap camera. Post is bright compared to background so it cancels out when on top of it. If you look closely you can barely see it track over the post at a couple spots. Just some kind of bug/dust/whatever close to the lens and out of focus, nothing crazy here.

Camera doorbells are notorious for crap resolution and artifacts, they should not be trusted for any kind of photographic evidence where precision is needed.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, mre11878 said:

Sorry, that does not explain how it travels behind the wooden suport beam then in front of the bushes. When you look closer, you can clearly see through the object. This is not Backscatter. It is literally moving around things, look closer at the video.

I do not see that it travels behind anything as you claim. What I do see is that the object and the post are not separable due to the quality of the camera. You might interpret that as being behind the post. I do not.

2 hours ago, stereologist said:

I do not see that it travels behind anything as you claim. What I do see is that the object and the post are not separable due to the quality of the camera. You might interpret that as being behind the post. I do not.

Looks like it is behind the high school football sign to me. I did color inversion and it stands out even more.

Screenshot_20221101_203238_Gallery.jpg

6 minutes ago, mre11878 said:

Looks like it is behind the high school football sign to me. I did color inversion and it stands out even more.

Screenshot_20221101_203238_Gallery.jpg

I clearly see it in front of the post

image.png.e2079ac0811e28b8664d60dd63f51e0d.png

17 minutes ago, stereologist said:

I clearly see it in front of the post

image.png.e2079ac0811e28b8664d60dd63f51e0d.png

Well, who knows, thanks for your honest opinion, much appreciated.

• Like 1