Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Section of destroyed shuttle Challenger found on ocean floor

Still Waters

Posted (IP: Staff) ·

A large section of the destroyed space shuttle Challenger has been found buried in sand at the bottom of the Atlantic, more than three decades after the tragedy that killed a schoolteacher and six others.

NASA's Kennedy Space Center announced the discovery Thursday.

"Of course, the emotions come back, right?" said Michael Ciannilli, a NASA manager who confirmed the remnant's authenticity. When he saw the underwater video footage, "My heart skipped a beat, I must say, and it brought me right back to 1986 ... and what we all went through as a nation."

It's one of the biggest pieces of Challenger found in the decades since the accident, according to Ciannilli, and the first remnant to be discovered since two fragments from the left wing washed ashore in 1996.

https://phys.org/news/2022-11-section-destroyed-shuttle-ocean-floor.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

It's interesting that the parts found are still intact. After 30+ years I would think it being in the ocean it would have rusted and dissolved. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Still Waters said:

A large section of the destroyed space shuttle Challenger has been found buried in sand at the bottom of the Atlantic, more than three decades after the tragedy that killed a schoolteacher and six others.

NASA's Kennedy Space Center announced the discovery Thursday.

"Of course, the emotions come back, right?" said Michael Ciannilli, a NASA manager who confirmed the remnant's authenticity. When he saw the underwater video footage, "My heart skipped a beat, I must say, and it brought me right back to 1986 ... and what we all went through as a nation."

It's one of the biggest pieces of Challenger found in the decades since the accident, according to Ciannilli, and the first remnant to be discovered since two fragments from the left wing washed ashore in 1996.

https://phys.org/news/2022-11-section-destroyed-shuttle-ocean-floor.html

That's a cool find.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Scholar4Truth said:

It's interesting that the parts found are still intact. After 30+ years I would think it being in the ocean it would have rusted and dissolved. 

It is made mostly of aluminum, and aluminum does not rust in the water.

Posted (IP: Staff) ·

The BBC are showing the video:

Space shuttle Challenger: Debris found by divers

Newly-released footage filmed in May 2022 shows the moment it was discovered.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-63597343

01:24 Video

• Like 2