Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA Has a Theory for Why We Might Be Alone in the Universe

Portre

14 hours ago, Dejarma said:

well it's a theory... a theory i go with as well. though you say it as if you know this for a fact. this is where you & i differ 

Yeah space is big where are we 

On 2/6/2023 at 11:57 PM, Montello said:

Yeah space is big where are we 

A theory is a carefully thought-out explanation for observations of the natural world that has been constructed using the scientific method, and which brings together many facts and hypotheses.

What Do We Mean by “Theory” in Science? many facts and hypotheses.

For example Darwin's Theory of Evolution made predictions that were later proven to be correct.

You saying you "don't know exactly how big the universe is, but it is really, really big; so, there must be alienz out there" is useless and can't be considered a theory.

• Like 2

On 12/28/2022 at 8:34 PM, Montello said:

i can prove it easily  lot of ufo sightnings you prove it tome that we are  alone

Please find out what UFO means.

I don't know therefore aliens, is not proof.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 9:05 PM, Golden Duck said:

You saying you "don't know exactly how big the universe is, but it is really, really big; so, there must be alienz out there" is useless and can't be considered a theory.

what?? why can't it be considered a theory? you've lost me

There have been a lot of planets detected out there. And some they even have an idea of how the surface of the planet might be. But, in my opinion, they've assumed Earth life as the standard, rather then some other chemical mix that creates life. Life could be all over, and we're just ignorant of what to look for.

On 11/15/2022 at 11:14 AM, astrobeing said:

This article just says there are lots of galaxies. We know that. That's like saying you're going to win the lottery because you bought lots of lotto tickets.

Those questions already exist and life on Earth is already a "hay day for religious fanatics".

The truth is that...had it not been for that Asteroid killing all the dinosaurs...we would still be a Lizard Planet today.  The sudden destruction of the dinosaurs created an environment for evolution.  Without it...we wouldn't be here.  

That being the case...if there was life on another planet...in a distant galaxy or even millions of planets with life...evolution seems to only go as far as to the perfection of the dominant species.  Lizards.  Giant Lizards.  All different kinds of Lizards...but...just Lizards.  No mammals, no mammalian evolution...and hence...not intelligent life.  The only reason the Lizards were here was because of the formation of a planet that allowed life to begin...the odds of that happening in any star system would not be great.  And the odds that an asteroid the size of Mount Everest would slam into that planet are infinitesimally small.

So, I am going with...we are it.  And even if there were...there is no way they could have found us and there is no way that they are here flying spaceships around our planet.  None.

13 minutes ago, joc said:

The only reason the Lizards were here was because of the formation of a planet that allowed life to begin...the odds of that happening in any star system would not be great.

i'm more for the thinking these odds are not odds at all- it's something that happens everywhere in the universe all the time.

i mean, what's the point of this vast universe if it's nothing more than rocks, dust, ice & gas- apart from us? we're the only ones enjoying being alive? NA, highly unlikely IN MY OPINION ;)

Just now, Dejarma said:

i'm more for the thinking these odds are not odds at all- it's something that happens everywhere in the universe all the time.

i mean, what's the point of this vast universe if it's nothing more than rocks, dust, ice & gas- apart from us? we're the only ones enjoying being alive? NA, highly unlikely IN MY OPINION ;)

I don't think there is a point to the Universe.  It just is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, joc said:

I don't think there is a point to the Universe.  It just is.

there's a point to everything.. there is nothing in this universe that happens for no reason!

Just now, Dejarma said:

there's a point to everything.. there is nothing in this universe that happens for no reason!

Please enlighten me then.  What is the point of the Universe? And what was the reason for its existence?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, joc said:

Please enlighten me then.  What is the point of the Universe? And what was the reason for its existence?

what a question to ask= how the fek am i supposed to know!! the reason IN-MY-OPINION is to support life.. or maybe we all exist in a computer prog? as far as facts go== who fekin knows? i don't :D

4 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

what a question to ask= how the fek am i supposed to know!! the reason IN-MY-OPINION is to support life.. or maybe we all exist in a computer prog? as far as facts go== who fekin knows? i don't :D

Thanks!  Then I will just go with ...there is no point to the Universe...:yes:

43 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Read the post you quoted.

i've read it hence my reply.. oh you want me to re-read it do you mean? ok i will, one minute:

-------------------

-------------------

yep re-read it= nope i'm still lost.. maybe i'm just stupid? what do you think?

3 minutes ago, joc said:

Thanks!  Then I will just go with ...there is no point to the Universe...:yes:

fair enough

• Like 1

Just now, Dejarma said:

fair enough

I want to be more than fair though...so...

There is no point to life.  Life exists for only three reasons......to eat other life forms and to keep from being eaten by other life forms...and to procreate, so that our offspring can eat other life forms and keep from being eaten.

This is why we evolved to the point of intelligence...because we figured out how to eat other life forms without being eaten by other life forms and we are pretty good at procreating as well. B)

3 minutes ago, joc said:

I want to be more than fair though...so...

There is no point to life.  Life exists for only three reasons......to eat other life forms and to keep from being eaten by other life forms...and to procreate, so that our offspring can eat other life forms and keep from being eaten.

This is why we evolved to the point of intelligence...because we figured out how to eat other life forms without being eaten by other life forms and we are pretty good at procreating as well. B)

are you telling me there's nothing you enjoy doing? your avatar has you with a guitar- you don't enjoy playing it then i take it? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

are you telling me there's nothing you enjoy doing? your avatar has you with a guitar- you don't enjoy playing it then i take it? 

Immensely!   But it isn't the point of my being alive.  I'm getting out of the weeds here...

...I like the Universe and I like being alive...Maybe the Universe likes me being alive and enjoying looking at it's glorious Cosmos...I'm good with that!  

3 minutes ago, joc said:

Immensely!   But it isn't the point of my being alive.  I'm getting out of the weeds here...

...I like the Universe and I like being alive...Maybe the Universe likes me being alive and enjoying looking at it's glorious Cosmos...I'm good with that!  

yep job done-- if one day we have the tech to answer this question: 'what's the point of the universe'? for some reason i do not feel the answer will be: 'there's no point to it'

Peace joc ;)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dejarma said:

i've read it hence my reply.. oh you want me to re-read it do you mean? ok i will, one minute:

-------------------

-------------------

yep re-read it= nope i'm still lost.. maybe i'm just stupid? what do you think?

Repeat...

A theory is a carefully thought-out explanation for observations of the natural world that has been constructed using the scientific method, and which brings together many facts and hypotheses

On 2/7/2023 at 9:05 PM, Golden Duck said:

there must be alienz out there" is useless and can't be considered a theory.

^is what i'm questioning not the definition of the word theory...