Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Personal or family Ouiji board experiences

Knob Oddy

Just curious as to other peoples experiences or stories from family members around using Ouiji boards.

I have never personally used one, but I remember from childhood my father warning me against playing with them after his experience when he was younger. 

When my father was 20 he used to play board games with his friends regularly. Normally the usual games, like monopoly or scrabble (oh how life pre-internet was so simple).

One week, they broke out the Ouiji board instead. Now this story came to me at least 12 years after it happened, but I will tell it like I have heard.

They asked if anyone was in the room with them or wanted to communicate with the group. They got a "yes" response. They asked who was with them and the response they got was a name. Vamela followed by my fathers last name spelt out in full. He was confused. His mother (my Nan) was called Pamela, but she was still very much alive at the time. 

Only after asking his father did he find out his father (my grandfather) had an aunt called Vamela, born with my fathers last name. He had no knowledge of that name before that day, neither did anyone in the room. 

It definitely impactedmy father and he never used a ouiji again.

Anyone else have any stories?

Edited by Knob Oddy
  • Like 5

One of my aunts used to regularly use one and shortly after my uncle passed from cancer, she tried to call him back to talk.  That night, when she was in bed she felt someone sit on the edge of the bed and she said she actually saw the pressure point/imprint of someone sitting next to her in the bed.  It freaked her out and she never touched one again.  I think for one to take harm from one of those things they have to be "open" to it and have to be sincerely trying to communicate with the dead.  I never have and never will play with one.  I have enough problems in my life. ;) 

• Like 4

When I was in 6th grade (11) my best friend got a ouija board for christmas.  The day after christmas she invited me to come over.   Her aunt and cousins were visiting, but the cousins were older, her older sisters ages.  There was one cousin, a boy who was 14 and he was in the way, the adults told him to hang out with us.  We were playing with the ouija board asking silly questions that one or both of us knew the answer to.   Then he came in and demaded us to prove it really worked.  She was not close with this boy and did not know much about him, except that he was a pain (probably his age and being bored).   So he asked questions and we got the answers.   It thoroughly freaked him out and he left the room.   The weird part was that after the second question I felt some weird energy run through me and I got impatient with the board spelling everything out and would blurt the answer after the first two letters.   It was weird because the answers were correct, things like "what's my girlfriend's name",   etc.   

Another time as an adult I was invited to a co-worker's house with 2 other women for tea and cake and to use the ouija board.   My co-worker had one but it would not work for her by herself.   before we started each time someone different took a turn we state "we will only talk to loving spirits."  So we all took turns and for some reason every one of the other women asked the question "How many lives have I had on Earth?"   One got 19, another 25, and one 70.   I thought good lord, why would you keep coming back.   Then it was my turn and I got 3.  They all went "aaahhh." like I was retarded or something.   (silly)  

Anyway the other two women left and my friend started asking questions but we did not say "we will only talk to loving spirits."   My friend got some very weird answers and I got a bad feeling.   The entity claimed to be her ex husband (who was still alive) she asked how he died and it said "motorcycle accident".  It said it was mad at her and she said "What do you want from me?"  It said "3 virgins and a goat."   At that point I said "Wait a minute!  Are you a loving entity"   It said no.   My friend jumped up and ran out the door, I went after her.    Totally stupid.  I have not messed with a ouija board since.   I told my daughters about that and one won't mess with it, the other did with her friends but she remembered the rule about insisting on only talking to loving entities.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I guess being a skeptic i dont have any fun, Im too OCD, ADD and rational to waste time like sitting on santas lap begging for gifts or ouiji boards.

In my 58 years alive i have never once seen a ouiji pass a test or tell anything actually unknown, but i have seen 1st hand countless fails my first experence was as a young child mom and grandmothing hammed it up but good yet nothing they said came to be true and why would it as powers of ouiji boards exists in believers minds not some otherside in fact there was a thread explaining this.

I have lots of ouiji boards in my house i dig the glowing ones best and to this day i use that one my mom and gmom had as the mouse pad when i DJ club shows.

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...

When I was eighteen My cousin introduced me to a friend who was seriously into the supernatural. He suggested meeting and trying a ouija board. At first there was odd movements and the start of words and then nothing. We had a break and started again, "Is anybody there" it did a very clear yes move. We asked questions and she, her name was Mary, wanted to speak to me. "I am always with you" was spelled out. Many more questions followed, she is not a guardian angel but can help me, but only in matters of health. Her last message was "you have seen me before."

Later there was another female who seemed to have come specifically to confront my cousin about his true nature which he kept hidden. The big shock was my cousin bursting into tears and saying it was all true and that he was going to get help. He later did start seeing a psychiatrist.

The two encounters were very different. Mary just went along in a calm manner. The second one was sudden rapid movements. Importantly, I think, in the second encounter, at different times each of us lost contact with the planchette due to its sudden moves. There is no way any individual was pushing it.

I told my mother about it and she was shocked. She reminded me of when I was a small child and in hospital. I was very ill and there was a strong chance that I would not make it. I used to see a woman outside of the window, who would wave to me, problem is I was on the top floor of the hospital. What I do remember was that when she arrived the light was incredibly bright and hurt my eyes.

A few years on I joined a spiritualist group. No ouija boards, they would sit in a dark room and try to channel spirits. On my first visit an old lady said to me "do you know that you have a young woman with you?" I said no and she added that "she has long black hair". A few weeks later I turned up to find they had a guest, a young woman medium from thre U.S. She said "hey that guy that's just walked in. He has a girl with him, can anybody see her? She has long black hair." That was the point that I started to take Mary seriously.

• Like 3

I've never heard one positive experience from using a ouija board. I've heard they have brought one out specifically for young kids to experiment with, good luck.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, openozy said:

I've never heard one positive experience from using a ouija board. I've heard they have brought one out specifically for young kids to experiment with, good luck.

You may well be right. There are lots of things that are used beyond original intentions. My belief is that the ouija board is simply a point of focus. During the time that I described, the man who organised it had told us of a theory about psychic ability. According to this idea there are three types of people: those who primarily attract spirits, those who are powerful communicators and people who give energy to the other two. Although we all have a bit of all qualities one will be dominant. Anyway he decided to ask if it was true. I think it was the second spirit, and she said yes. He asked about us and we were told one of each. He asked if that was why the seance was going so well, another yes. According to her I am a communicator.

We hit a bit of a dry spell and were sitting in silence with our fingers on the planchette. It had all been a lot to take in and I felt uncertain. So I tested my communication ability. I imagined my self saying "are you still there". The planchette went to the yes. The others were looking puzzled until I told them.

It is good to have doubts and you must try to be rational but you should never disregard your own experience. Over the years I have discussed this with a number of people. The results have ranged from great interest to abusiveness and anger. But nobody has been able to explain my experiences away and everything that I have described took place in front of others.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/14/2022 at 11:01 PM, Knob Oddy said:

On 11/14/2022 at 11:01 PM, Knob Oddy said:

They asked if anyone was in the room with them or wanted to communicate with the group. They got a "yes" response. 

What would happen if they got a "No" response? Would that mean someone was in the room, or not?

I have also sometimes wondered what happens when people say "Is anybody there? Knock once for yes, twice for no" and they get two knocks. 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, the13bats said:

Yet you have zero to prove your experence.

You are are a true believer and will only expect the explanation that you desire ( paranormal and you have soecial powers )  yet us skeptics are the closed minded,

You need to read that thread of the science of how ouija boards work, its all in your mind.

Far too much of an assumption. I doubt far more than I believe. You have no idea what I "desire". I read far more science than I do supernatural. Of course I cannot prove any of this, if we could, this forum would not need to exist.

3 hours ago, pellinore said:

What would happen if they got a "No" response? Would that mean someone was in the room, or not?

Any response would indicate something is there. Zero response would say maybe not.

Edited by Leveller
error
  • Like 2

I played with a Ouija board a couple of times as a kid, but only once as a (semi-) adult.

Back in 12th grade a couple of girls who I knew asked me if I could help them with something. The "something" turned out to be interpreting messages they'd gotten from a Ouija board - in French. I was taking advanced French and was fairly fluent back then so I agreed.

The messages purported to be from the spirit of a young woman who'd died in a traffic accident in a small town in southeastern France. The communications described the town center with a fountain. In itself that detail wasn't anything special; lots of towns in that part of Europe are similarly arranged.

But there were also more-specific details such as when and where the accident happened as well as the surrounding circumstances. This was many years BI (Before Internet) so all we had to go on were descriptions and maps in guidebooks. We took a chance and wrote a letter to the mayor saying we'd heard about an accident, asking if it was in fact true, and if so whether they could offer some details. Of course we didn't mention anything about how we'd come to know about the accident.

Several weeks later one of the girls got a response. The gist was "Yes, there was a terrible tragedy where a young woman was killed in a car crash.", along with additional information that matched what we'd been given by the board. The letter concluded with "But we're just a little village in a remote part of France. How did you know about it so far away in America?" We were too shaken to reply.

The only non-paranormal explanation I could think of was that someone in the group had managed to read about this obscure accident and was manipulating the cursor as part of a prank on the rest of us. The counter was that the messages used a level of grammar and vocabulary more appropriate to a native speaker rather than to a bunch of American high-school students.

Alors, vrai ou faux? Je n'ai aucune idée.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Okay, ill try it like this, for well over 40 years ive presented a challenge to those claiming psychic gifts and 100% fails so far.

There was a really great thread on here how Ouija boards work because of the persons mind is doing it, i support that because when we get past the countless stories of how the players got some message unknown to them there is never any supportive evidence to back that up, in other words its just another story as with my challenge to skeptics who should be able to prove their gifts ( that some use to make life long livings ) if ouijas had powers past the players mind we could prove that.

We havent anything to support they are portals to spirits or entities which also remain unproven, okay im not meaning to be a cynical buzz kill im just asking kindly show me your proof and its never there.

I dont mind waiting i hopefully have a few more years before i shuffle off the mortal coil.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, the13bats said:

I dont mind waiting i hopefully have a few more years before i shuffle off the mortal coil.

I'm sure you have a while yet to live bats but I doubt you will get the proof you desire if you lived another 1000 years.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, openozy said:

I'm sure you have a while yet to live bats but I doubt you will get the proof you desire if you lived another 1000 years.

Idk im a cynical skeptic yet hopeful weird huh?

But really if a Ouija board had the powers some claim then it wouldnt be at all hard to prove unless these happy haunts and entities enjoy making people look credulous if not looney.

Like skeptical writer joe nickells said, us skeptics do not have as much fun as believers, and i added anyone who has issues with being haunted just be a skeptc and it all goes away.

I do hope you are correct about my lifespan.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the13bats said:

If I told you I'm an empath which makes me very sensitive and feel you have a while to go, would you believe me? lol. Anyway I do feel you haven't finished your journey yet mate.:tu:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, openozy said:

If I told you I'm an empath which makes me very sensitive and feel you have a while to go, would you believe me? lol. Anyway I do feel you haven't finished your journey yet mate.:tu:

I would very much believe that you believe that.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2022 at 7:01 PM, the13bats said:

Okay, ill try it like this, for well over 40 years ive presented a challenge to those claiming psychic gifts and 100% fails so far.

There was a really great thread on here how Ouija boards work because of the persons mind is doing it, i support that because when we get past the countless stories of how the players got some message unknown to them there is never any supportive evidence to back that up, in other words its just another story as with my challenge to skeptics who should be able to prove their gifts ( that some use to make life long livings ) if ouijas had powers past the players mind we could prove that.

We havent anything to support they are portals to spirits or entities which also remain unproven, okay im not meaning to be a cynical buzz kill im just asking kindly show me your proof and its never there.

The only way anyone would be able to give you proof is in person, not on a discussion forum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/20/2022 at 10:14 PM, the13bats said:

Idk im a cynical skeptic yet hopeful weird huh?

But really if a Ouija board had the powers some claim then it wouldnt be at all hard to prove unless these happy haunts and entities enjoy making people look credulous if not looney.

Like skeptical writer joe nickells said, us skeptics do not have as much fun as believers, and i added anyone who has issues with being haunted just be a skeptc and it all goes away.

It really isn't the ouija board that has the power, that is a tool and the humans using it have the power or not, depending.   I know that because I have played with them and it was never the board that did anything, but it did provide a conduit to information.  Some people don't need a tool for that and some do. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

The only way anyone would be able to give you proof is in person, not on a discussion forum.

And in close to 40 years all ( in person ) have failed.

9 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

It really isn't the ouija board that has the power, that is a tool and the humans using it have the power or not, depending.   I know that because I have played with them and it was never the board that did anything, but it did provide a conduit to information.  Some people don't need a tool for that and some do. 

For a psychic or Ouija board or whatever to be real would require ghost, spirits, entities whatever one wants to call them to also be real and again all who have made such claims have failed to prove their claims, thats not saying these things do not exist even though there should be proof and is none.

I see it more like religion a belief system which is in its most basic form just stories. However for such things believers do not require proof i respect that and it wiuld be cool if i received the same respect that i do need proof to believe stories.

• Haha 1

I will play with a board, anytime, any place. Haunted board? Graveyard? Middle of the NIght and trying to contact a murdered.? Done

Demon infested doll staring at me while i use a board? Sure, why not?

Site of some massive tragedy? Have at it.

I'll use a board to ask any entity to enter my body and do whatever they want.

Literally nothing will happen. 

Edited by Occupational Hubris
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Occupational Hubris said:

I play with an board, anytime, any place. Haunted board? Graveyard? Middle of the NIght and trying to contact a murdered.? Done

Site of some massive tradgey? Have at it.

I'll use a board to ask any entity to enter my body and do whateve rthey want.

Thank you!

:clap::nw:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Occupational Hubris said:

I will play with a board, anytime, any place. Haunted board? Graveyard? Middle of the NIght and trying to contact a murdered.? Done

Site of some massive tragedy? Have at it.

I'll use a board to ask any entity to enter my body and do whatever they want.

No it won't because it is in the mind and intent of the user. They are not human spirits that answer to these so the places you describe are not of any value or help.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, openozy said:

it is in the mind and intent of the user

And thats where it exists not outside of the believers mind. Its like fantasy, make believe.

Edited by the13bats
  • Haha 1

No it won't because it is in the mind and intent of the user.

Cop out. You're litteraly just scaring yourself

They are not human spirits that answer to these so the places you describe are not of any value or help.

Spirts aren't real. Peroid. Doesn't matter what kind. I will thwart any challenge put forth on the matter. Though i'm sure it will be met with cries of "Nooo!!! You have to belieeeeve!" Even though actual real-life phenomena occur independent of belief. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Occupational Hubris said:

Spirts aren't real.

Big statement and impossible for you to prove. As I said they are not human spirits, they are other entities.

3 hours ago, Occupational Hubris said:

Cop out. You're litteraly just scaring yourself

You have literally no idea or concept so not worth conversing with :tu:

• Like 1

Big statement and impossible for you to prove. As I said they are not human spirits, they are other entities.

lol I don't need to prove a negative. 

You have literally no idea or concept so not worth conversing with :tu:

Oh, cause I live in real world? There's always an excuse.