Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Personal or family Ouiji board experiences

Knob Oddy

2 minutes ago, Occupational Hubris said:

lol I don't need to prove a negative. 

Why is it a negative, you made the statement about something you know nothing of.

• Like 1

Just now, openozy said:

Why is it a negative, you made the statement about something you know nothing of.

You claim ghosts or spirits or whatever exist. It's not up to me to disporove something that isn't real. And i know plenty about it. Spent (wasted) youth in that group of charlatans, hucksers, and people filled with delusions called the occult. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Occupational Hubris said:

You claim ghosts or spirits or whatever exist. It's not up to me to disporove something that isn't real. And i know plenty about it. Spent (wasted) youth in that group of charlatans, hucksers, and people filled with delusions called the occult. 

I'm sorry you were disappointed in that occult BS. People into that stuff usually are try hard fools. Just because you haven't experienced anything paranormal doesn't make it not real, that's your take on it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, openozy said:

I'm sorry you were disappointed in that occult BS. People into that stuff usually are try hard fools. Just because you haven't experienced anything paranormal doesn't make it not real, that's your take on it.

I've experienced enough to know that it's 75% misidentification and 25% fabrication. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Occupational Hubris said:

I've experienced enough to know that it's 75% misidentification and 25% fabrication. 

If you are happy with that BS good on you.

• Like 1

Just now, openozy said:

If you are happy with that BS good on you.

I'm no the one living in a fantasy world

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Occupational Hubris said:

I'm no the one living in a fantasy world

No you are living in a tiny box society put you in, you don't have to be there but it's nice and snug for you.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, openozy said:

No you are living in a tiny box society put you in, you don't have to be there but it's nice and snug for you.

You are, i am assuming, a grown ass adult who thinks "enties" (insert whatever random make believe character) are real. Nothing to do with society. Simple delusional thinking. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Occupational Hubris said:

You are, i am assuming, a grown ass adult who thinks "enties" (insert whatever random make believe character) are real. Nothing to do with society. Simple delusional thinking. 

Stay where you are mate, it suits you, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, the13bats said:

And in close to 40 years all ( in person ) have failed.

For a psychic or Ouija board or whatever to be real would require ghost, spirits, entities whatever one wants to call them to also be real and again all who have made such claims have failed to prove their claims, thats not saying these things do not exist even though there should be proof and is none.

I see it more like religion a belief system which is in its most basic form just stories. However for such things believers do not require proof i respect that and it wiuld be cool if i received the same respect that i do need proof to believe stories.

I disagree.   We have been trained to ignore most of the information we are constantly bombarded with and mostly for good reason because you can see what happens when those filters are missing by watching the homeless people walking around yelling at the air, or other things we consider crazy.   But there are some things that some people pay attention to that we are told are impossible (scientific experimentation is proof that nothing is impossible, just not understood yet).   I believe and have experiences to enforce that belief that we are all telepathic and sometimes a tool like a ouija board can give one focus.   However, what you pay attention to is what you get, so if you are fearful you will have fear evoking experiences. Psychic is the wrong term.  Most that I have met, that people pay, are telepathic, they know what you want to hear and they  make a lot of money at it.  Then there are some, like John Edwards and Sylvia Brown, who are con artists and just know certain things they say will hit home to someone.  It's why John Edwards does "gallery" readings so that anything he throws at the wall will hit someone.  ("I'm getting a name starting with G or S or P, does that mean anything to anyone?")

I have also encountered some people who are very adept at telling you what you need to hear whether you want to or not, (strangers, not friends or even aquaintances) and those are the ones I trust, but I do not consult psychics in order to make decisions or what ever.   Any time someone calling themselves psychic tells you they can fix your problem "spiritually" if you give them lots of money are liars and con artists.   They give skeptics good reason to insist that there is no such thing.   We all have unexplainable experiences and it doesn't mean they are all paranormal, it means we don't have enough information to explain them.    

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 3

On 12/23/2022 at 11:14 AM, Desertrat56 said:

I disagree.   We have been trained to ignore most of the information we are constantly bombarded with and mostly for good reason because you can see what happens when those filters are missing by watching the homeless people walking around yelling at the air, or other things we consider crazy.   But there are some things that some people pay attention to that we are told are impossible (scientific experimentation is proof that nothing is impossible, just not understood yet).   I believe and have experiences to enforce that belief that we are all telepathic and sometimes a tool like a ouija board can give one focus.   However, what you pay attention to is what you get, so if you are fearful you will have fear evoking experiences. Psychic is the wrong term.  Most that I have met, that people pay, are telepathic, they know what you want to hear and they  make a lot of money at it.  Then there are some, like John Edwards and Sylvia Brown, who are con artists and just know certain things they say will hit home to someone.  It's why John Edwards does "gallery" readings so that anything he throws at the wall will hit someone.  ("I'm getting a name starting with G or S or P, does that mean anything to anyone?")

I have also encountered some people who are very adept at telling you what you need to hear whether you want to or not, (strangers, not friends or even aquaintances) and those are the ones I trust, but I do not consult psychics in order to make decisions or what ever.   Any time someone calling themselves psychic tells you they can fix your problem "spiritually" if you give them lots of money are liars and con artists.   They give skeptics good reason to insist that there is no such thing.   We all have unexplainable experiences and it doesn't mean they are all paranormal, it means we don't have enough information to explain them.    

I go with what evidence or lack there of supports or doesnt. Sorry in my world a loon yelling at a stop light has mental health issues, some people need something more and thats why charlatans can cheat them. Im not a novice ive hands on studied a lot of this worked at Santeria shops researched and studied atc. Cassadega oh well in the context of my reply we would need ghosts, spirits, etc for a oujia to function in the way most believers in them claim they work very few accept like in the other thread on this forum points out a ouija works because the players are making it happen even if they do not admit it dont know it and want to credit entities. A person wouldnt need a board to focus with and it wouldnt be generic and just a bunch of unsupported stories.

I dont care what its labeled people simple do not have special powers as in psychic,  telepathic as a mystic name to an insightful person who tells it how it is, yeah not powers, not to sound pompous i am great at cold readings, i can send a person away believing with no doubt i have special powers but i dont. Some dont admit it. Its all good like my buddy said ill never get my proof.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 5:13 PM, and-then said:

One of my aunts used to regularly use one and shortly after my uncle passed from cancer, she tried to call him back to talk.  That night, when she was in bed she felt someone sit on the edge of the bed and she said she actually saw the pressure point/imprint of someone sitting next to her in the bed.  It freaked her out and she never touched one again.  I think for one to take harm from one of those things they have to be "open" to it and have to be sincerely trying to communicate with the dead.  I never have and never will play with one.  I have enough problems in my life. ;) 

Just so you know, your story is about aliens. That's right, the pressure spots cause by someone sitting on the edge of the bed is something that they can do.

*** Back in 12th grade a couple of girls who I knew asked me if I could help them with something. The "something" turned out to be interpreting messages they'd gotten from a Ouija board - in French. I was taking advanced French and was fairly fluent back then so I agreed.

The messages purported to be from the spirit of a young woman who'd died in a traffic accident in a small town in southeastern France. The communications described the town center with a fountain. In itself that detail wasn't anything special; lots of towns in that part of Europe are similarly arranged.

But there were also more-specific details such as when and where the accident happened as well as the surrounding circumstances. This was many years BI (Before Internet) so all we had to go on were descriptions and maps in guidebooks. We took a chance and wrote a letter to the mayor saying we'd heard about an accident, asking if it was in fact true, and if so whether they could offer some details. Of course we didn't mention anything about how we'd come to know about the accident.

Several weeks later one of the girls got a response. The gist was "Yes, there was a terrible tragedy where a young woman was killed in a car crash.", along with additional information that matched what we'd been given by the board. The letter concluded with "But we're just a little village in a remote part of France. How did you know about it so far away in America?" We were too shaken to reply. ***

Pretty cool, huh? You can learn a lot from an Ouija Board. When I used the Ouija Board in 2003, the spirits told me Saddam Hussein of Irag had a son in 2002 and the son was the antichrist.

Guess what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddam_Hussein

Wafa Mullah Huwaysh is rumored to have married Saddam as his fourth wife in 2002. There is no firm evidence for this marriage. Wafa is the daughter of Abd al-Tawab Mullah Huwaysh, a former minister of military industry in Iraq and Saddam's last deputy Prime Minister.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My only good ouji board story is about my brother who was terrified of them for some reason when he was a kid. He was probably 10 or 11 at the time and I'm 4 years older. However it came about he had his screw-this-thing moment and threw his ouji board in the dumpster at the apartment complex we lived in. I of course witnessed this and did what any older sibling would do. I fetched the damn thing out of the trash and snuck it back into his room and awaited his gloriously terrified reaction. I would never have remembered doing that if he hadn't brought it up from time to time throughout our adult years. It was definitely an impact moment for him. :tsu:

• Haha 2

On 1/9/2023 at 5:48 AM, Shiro2023 said:

Just so you know, your story is about aliens. That's right, the pressure spots cause by someone sitting on the edge of the bed is something that they can do.

*** Back in 12th grade a couple of girls who I knew asked me if I could help them with something. The "something" turned out to be interpreting messages they'd gotten from a Ouija board - in French. I was taking advanced French and was fairly fluent back then so I agreed.

The messages purported to be from the spirit of a young woman who'd died in a traffic accident in a small town in southeastern France. The communications described the town center with a fountain. In itself that detail wasn't anything special; lots of towns in that part of Europe are similarly arranged.

But there were also more-specific details such as when and where the accident happened as well as the surrounding circumstances. This was many years BI (Before Internet) so all we had to go on were descriptions and maps in guidebooks. We took a chance and wrote a letter to the mayor saying we'd heard about an accident, asking if it was in fact true, and if so whether they could offer some details. Of course we didn't mention anything about how we'd come to know about the accident.

Several weeks later one of the girls got a response. The gist was "Yes, there was a terrible tragedy where a young woman was killed in a car crash.", along with additional information that matched what we'd been given by the board. The letter concluded with "But we're just a little village in a remote part of France. How did you know about it so far away in America?" We were too shaken to reply. ***

Pretty cool, huh? You can learn a lot from an Ouija Board. When I used the Ouija Board in 2003, the spirits told me Saddam Hussein of Irag had a son in 2002 and the son was the antichrist.

Guess what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddam_Hussein

Wafa Mullah Huwaysh is rumored to have married Saddam as his fourth wife in 2002. There is no firm evidence for this marriage. Wafa is the daughter of Abd al-Tawab Mullah Huwaysh, a former minister of military industry in Iraq and Saddam's last deputy Prime Minister.

It's plenty of stories like this that have made me a believer that the Ouija Board can be used as a conduit to the spiritual/astral planes. I can see why skeptics are skeptical, but for me the evidence trumps the skepticism. We have a hard time believing things invisible can be real. Buth they are apparently real.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

It's plenty of stories like this that have made me a believer that the Ouija Board can be used as a conduit to the spiritual/astral planes. I can see why skeptics are skeptical, but for me the evidence trumps the skepticism. We have a hard time believing things invisible can be real. Buth they are apparently real.

A lot of people feel more comfortable ignoring anything that is non physical, some of it is training and some of it might be fear, or just not wanting to think about things outside of what they can smell, feel, taste, see and hear.    Some of us have experiences that are only explainable by accepting that there are things we don't understand and will never understand until we have a way to identify non-physical things.    Neither way of thinking is wrong, it is personal and what you call evidence is not physical evidence so is is silly to say "the evidence trumps the skepticism".   

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Neither way of thinking is wrong, it is personal and what you call evidence is not physical evidence so is is silly to say "the evidence trumps the skepticism".   

Silly, eh? I think I am the victim of a truncated quote.

22 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

but for me the evidence trumps the skepticism

But anyway to your main point, after sufficient evidence is accumulated denial becomes irrational. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Silly, eh? I think I am the victim of a truncated quote.

But anyway to your main point, after sufficient evidence is accumulated denial becomes irrational. 

Pardon me.   I don't always read all the words.   For you, the evidence trumps the skepticism.   I get it and forgive me for jumping on the bolded without paying attention to the leading words.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My mate had a Ouija board style carpet mat, He let his Roomba loose and it summoned up a diabolical entity called "Fred". 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I was messing with one once when I was a kid in the 80s, in a quiet house all by myself, really concentrating on it - then the phone sitting next to me rang. OId style phone with a loud bell. I nearly **** myself. Before anyone asks, no, it wasn't a ghost that called. Very normal human calling at a very bad time.

Other than that one time, my multiple attempts with it produced nothing.

Edited by moonman

On 1/10/2023 at 1:12 PM, Desertrat56 said:

A lot of people feel more comfortable ignoring anything that is non physical, some of it is training and some of it might be fear, or just not wanting to think about things outside of what they can smell, feel, taste, see and hear.    Some of us have experiences that are only explainable by accepting that there are things we don't understand and will never understand until we have a way to identify non-physical things.    Neither way of thinking is wrong, it is personal and what you call evidence is not physical evidence so is is silly to say "the evidence trumps the skepticism".   

Im no more so am ignoring paranormal as the reason i do not experence it as is every experencer of it delusional.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, the13bats said:

Im no more so am ignoring paranormal as the reason i do not experence it as is every experencer of it delusional.

Are you calling me delusional?  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Are you calling me delusional?  

Not at all a person can very much believe in an unproven and not be delusinal they can coexist.

No more so than you called skeptics scared of paranormal claiming they ignore it out of fear. We do not have "evidence" of paranormal so of course zero doesnt trump ( ew bad "T" word ) skeptsisum. For the moment "non physical" is a belief system like paranormal or religion, thats fine no problem.

In fact i agree with your point in a way i just dont care for the use of "ignore" there because too many things labeled paranormal if reality couldnt be "ignored". Like i always say if a person is bothered by something paranormal no problem become a skeptic. I also find this line of thinking a roundabout way to place the blame of a believer having no proof on the skeptic, that seems to happen more and more. I fully accept there could be non physical paranormal things waiting to be proven. I just dont subscribe to "belief" i do at times envy the comfort it seems to bring some believers. And while we are open to things like paranormal that isnt proven yet we also have to accept some of it maybe sadly all of it very well might be a result of hallucination, delusion dare i say mental conditions or illness, i have no idea why its okay to see ghosts but not okay to have a mental issue i have them i wish people could get past that weird stigma.

I do see a glaring obvious "fear" in some who make claims of spookies, ghosts, spirits, hauntings, nde at/ap etc being real because then they think with it they have a silver rope to an afterlife as the idea of when we die thats it game over isnt a very uplifting thought in fact very scary and i had yet another club friend die night before last, too much death. Yeah, im very down, or is it downer your choice.

No, i cant speak for all but i dont ignore any evidence except of course stories, which i dont count as evidence, i sure dont fear things like paranormal being shown to me it just hasnt been yet.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Not at all a person can very much believe in an unproven and not be delusinal they can coexist.

No more so than you called skeptics scared of paranormal claiming they ignore it out of fear. We do not have "evidence" of paranormal so of course zero doesnt trump ( ew bad "T" word ) skeptsisum. For the moment "non physical" is a belief system like paranormal or religion, thats fine no problem.

In fact i agree with your point in a way i just dont care for the use of "ignore" there because too many things labeled paranormal if reality couldnt be "ignored". Like i always say if a person is bothered by something paranormal no problem become a skeptic. I also find this line of thinking a roundabout way to place the blame of a believer having no proof on the skeptic, that seems to happen more and more. I fully accept there could be non physical paranormal things waiting to be proven. I just dont subscribe to "belief" i do at times envy the comfort it seems to bring some believers. And while we are open to things like paranormal that isnt proven yet we also have to accept some of it maybe sadly all of it very well might be a result of hallucination, delusion dare i say mental conditions or illness, i have no idea why its okay to see ghosts but not okay to have a mental issue i have them i wish people could get past that weird stigma.

I do see a glaring obvious "fear" in some who make claims of spookies, ghosts, spirits, hauntings, nde at/ap etc being real because then they think with it they have a silver rope to an afterlife as the idea of when we die thats it game over isnt a very uplifting thought in fact very scary and i had yet another club friend die night before last, too much death. Yeah, im very down, or is it downer your choice.

No, i cant speak for all but i dont ignore any evidence except of course stories, which i dont count as evidence, i sure dont fear things like paranormal being shown to me it just hasnt been yet.

OK.  Let me give you a real world physical example of ignoring something you are aware of or should be aware of (due to fear in my opinion, and I know what I am talking about beceause I did it for a short time) - your spouse is having an affair, always claims to be at work, then has excuses why he didn't get overtime.   OK, once or twice, then someone starts calling and hanging up when you answer.   That is the point where most people would accept the evidence, but some don't.   I did, but it was a long time before I wanted to even think about it.    So Ignore, in my opinion is the right word to use.    And you can ignore anything that some label paranormal because you have never had a kitchen cupboard fly open and fling the spices at your head, or seen what is considered a Unidentified Flying Object (my experience was more Unidentified Aerial Phenomena, no way I could claim it was a physical craft, even when it hovered over the road and shot a beam of light down).    Maybe some people attract that kind of stuff, some want attention and escape from their life, some ignore anything they can't explain.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

OK.  Let me give you a real world physical example of ignoring something you are aware of or should be aware of (due to fear in my opinion, and I know what I am talking about beceause I did it for a short time) - your spouse is having an affair, always claims to be at work, then has excuses why he didn't get overtime.   OK, once or twice, then someone starts calling and hanging up when you answer.   That is the point where most people would accept the evidence, but some don't.   I did, but it was a long time before I wanted to even think about it.    So Ignore, in my opinion is the right word to use.    And you can ignore anything that some label paranormal because you have never had a kitchen cupboard fly open and fling the spices at your head, or seen what is considered a Unidentified Flying Object (my experience was more Unidentified Aerial Phenomena, no way I could claim it was a physical craft, even when it hovered over the road and shot a beam of light down).    Maybe some people attract that kind of stuff, some want attention and escape from their life, some ignore anything they can't explain.

Okay, bear with me you know i respect you but there were some apple and oranges there joining things i cant connect and disparging the non believer, lets try to get past blaming the skeptic do i think some folks crave the attention and belonging to the paranormal club? You bet i do and i also know some people see what they want to see. Trust me i can imagine how crappy it is no have no proof of a claim.

In this case i would have used the world "denial" over "ignore" but either work in fact ive used that cheating partner anecdote  however the way you used it still doesnt apply to many "non experencers" i am going to call them NEs rather than skeptics. You have physical evidence in your anecdote things that can be checked out, repeated ruled in ruled out, to ignore it would be an action on the part of the person doing so. Perhaps im misunderstanding just how you use "ignore" why i said denial as in denial a partner is cheating, i guess its word games.

Here is how i use that same type anecdote. A person tells you your partner is cheating on you. Now do you knee jerk and off yourself do you shoot your partner in the face when they walk in? Or and i hope you demand more evidence, you take what this person told you and decide if other pieces fit or dont. Or as you point out some will just ignore it.

Sorry but comparing your cheating ex isnt the same as the paranormal claims to me, and btw im really sorry that happened to you it scars a person, anyone i could ask is sadly gone but i have pondered my dad and moms divorce i was 4-5 and always thought dad left 1st but im not so sure anymore, not that it really matters the players are all dead.

You might be a bit biased that if you ignored the flags about your ex then others do and then jump to they ignore paranormal too, it becomes a complicated 2 step. there are a few people in this world who i believe that they believe the story they tell that doesnt mean i believe their story it means i believe they do, you are one of those people.

I sure cant speak for others but can assure you that if a cabinet open and closed or i saw a cool ufo/uap i wouldnt ignore it in fact i dont believe most people would. Ive posted bits of this before, when we moved into the place the seller was so convinced it was haunted she lived camper style in the garage of the other house behind us, neighbors and im on a corner the rest of my block is a church people were kindly devided the seller was a loon or she saw what she claimed, i learned that she hurt her head in a cycle crash that made her worse. The realtor joked with us about her and the spooky stuff i joked back can i sue if its not haunted? Anyway she told stories of all kinds of stuff and as far as im concerned i dedunked all of it, see i didnt ignore the claims neither did others and a some things i even experenced but it was natural not paranormal.

Vampire rats, when she was still in this house which she bought in the 90s to fix and flip So she was here and started tell people in the night vampire rats tried to chew on her, she went manic window screen was hap hazard cut and staple gunned over any floor vents, door cracks etc of course ruining the wood, she blamed the church next door for the rats, there were at least 50 traps around, and the basement and attic had those electric pest chasers, there were blocks of poison everywhere. Now there was not one body, not one chew hole or scratching none, there was zero evidence there was so much as a field mouse here from what several people who didnt know each other told me including her ex she totally believed vampire rats chewed on her.

So im i ignoring it to come to the conclusion the lady had a mental disorder? As much as believers do not like any tags suggesting its mental all in their heads i dont like beling blamed for lack of proof or that its some flaw in me why i do not experence any thing i could call paranormal i would be delighted if i did but i dont. And this isnt a poke but we know people like PapG who would rate the rat story highly likely paranormal. It boils down to i cant prove there were rats here no one has, i cant 100% prove no rats where here but they leave signs which we have none of so why should i jump from zero proof to it must be paranormal?

16 hours ago, the13bats said:

That's just not true. Some things happen that defy explanation. I've had plenty of experiences that I didn't just go derp that's a ghost end of story. Were they ghosts? Heck if I know but might as well have been because as much as a tried there were no other explanations. A couple of things have stuck with me for years that I still can't believe I seen happen. It doesn't make sense.

• Like 1