Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Personal or family Ouiji board experiences

Knob Oddy

31 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Okay, bear with me you know i respect you but there were some apple and oranges there joining things i cant connect and disparging the non believer, lets try to get past blaming the skeptic do i think some folks crave the attention and belonging to the paranormal club? You bet i do and i also know some people see what they want to see. Trust me i can imagine how crappy it is no have no proof of a claim.

In this case i would have used the world "denial" over "ignore" but either work in fact ive used that cheating partner anecdote  however the way you used it still doesnt apply to many "non experencers" i am going to call them NEs rather than skeptics. You have physical evidence in your anecdote things that can be checked out, repeated ruled in ruled out, to ignore it would be an action on the part of the person doing so. Perhaps im misunderstanding just how you use "ignore" why i said denial as in denial a partner is cheating, i guess its word games.

Here is how i use that same type anecdote. A person tells you your partner is cheating on you. Now do you knee jerk and off yourself do you shoot your partner in the face when they walk in? Or and i hope you demand more evidence, you take what this person told you and decide if other pieces fit or dont. Or as you point out some will just ignore it.

Sorry but comparing your cheating ex isnt the same as the paranormal claims to me, and btw im really sorry that happened to you it scars a person, anyone i could ask is sadly gone but i have pondered my dad and moms divorce i was 4-5 and always thought dad left 1st but im not so sure anymore, not that it really matters the players are all dead.

You might be a bit biased that if you ignored the flags about your ex then others do and then jump to they ignore paranormal too, it becomes a complicated 2 step. there are a few people in this world who i believe that they believe the story they tell that doesnt mean i believe their story it means i believe they do, you are one of those people.

I sure cant speak for others but can assure you that if a cabinet open and closed or i saw a cool ufo/uap i wouldnt ignore it in fact i dont believe most people would. Ive posted bits of this before, when we moved into the place the seller was so convinced it was haunted she lived camper style in the garage of the other house behind us, neighbors and im on a corner the rest of my block is a church people were kindly devided the seller was a loon or she saw what she claimed, i learned that she hurt her head in a cycle crash that made her worse. The realtor joked with us about her and the spooky stuff i joked back can i sue if its not haunted? Anyway she told stories of all kinds of stuff and as far as im concerned i dedunked all of it, see i didnt ignore the claims neither did others and a some things i even experenced but it was natural not paranormal.

Vampire rats, when she was still in this house which she bought in the 90s to fix and flip So she was here and started tell people in the night vampire rats tried to chew on her, she went manic window screen was hap hazard cut and staple gunned over any floor vents, door cracks etc of course ruining the wood, she blamed the church next door for the rats, there were at least 50 traps around, and the basement and attic had those electric pest chasers, there were blocks of poison everywhere. Now there was not one body, not one chew hole or scratching none, there was zero evidence there was so much as a field mouse here from what several people who didnt know each other told me including her ex she totally believed vampire rats chewed on her.

So im i ignoring it to come to the conclusion the lady had a mental disorder? As much as believers do not like any tags suggesting its mental all in their heads i dont like beling blamed for lack of proof or that its some flaw in me why i do not experence any thing i could call paranormal i would be delighted if i did but i dont. And this isnt a poke but we know people like PapG who would rate the rat story highly likely paranormal. It boils down to i cant prove there were rats here no one has, i cant 100% prove no rats where here but they leave signs which we have none of so why should i jump from zero proof to it must be paranormal?

Ok.  That is not what I was talking about when I said ignore, but you can use denial as the word and it works for you.   I was talking about things that happen that some people notice and others don't.   The ones who don't notice something that others do are ignoring certain input that some don't ignore.   I don't go to paranormal or UFOs first, and usually I leave it at unexplainable.   I don't have any experience with any nuts and bolts UFOs, and most of the stories I have read and people I have talked to did not grab a peice of something to prove it.   And I don't think poltergeist activity is caused by ghosts.  I have experienced it and the timeing of the worst of it coincided with the time and day that the cops were at my dad's house to take him into custody.   I was in the kitchen he built and I do beileve we have abilities that you think are crazy to even think about, but based on many experiences I have no explanation that makes sense to me except that we do have abilities, telepathy and telekinensis, etc.   It is not something that people usually control.   There are many other factors, it is not some vacuum that those things come from.   

I respect you too and I understand your perspective.   I originally asked the question "Are you calling me delusional" as a joke.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Ok.  That is not what I was talking about when I said ignore, but you can use denial as the word and it works for you.   I was talking about things that happen that some people notice and others don't.   The ones who don't notice something that others do are ignoring certain input that some don't ignore.   I don't go to paranormal or UFOs first, and usually I leave it at unexplainable.   I don't have any experience with any nuts and bolts UFOs, and most of the stories I have read and people I have talked to did not grab a peice of something to prove it.   And I don't think poltergeist activity is caused by ghosts.  I have experienced it and the timeing of the worst of it coincided with the time and day that the cops were at my dad's house to take him into custody.   I was in the kitchen he built and I do beileve we have abilities that you think are crazy to even think about, but based on many experiences I have no explanation that makes sense to me except that we do have abilities, telepathy and telekinensis, etc.   It is not something that people usually control.   There are many other factors, it is not some vacuum that those things come from.   

I respect you too and I understand your perspective.   I originally asked the question "Are you calling me delusional" as a joke.   

Im sorry i really am but i just do not buy into some people refuse, deny, ignore etc some paranormal event taking place in front of them because they just cant face the reality of it. I guess there are mental conditions that block things out but if the persons alone we would never know they missed a blocked paranormal event so its moot.

I sure do not believe in special powers because if anyone had those we would have events like we see in movies, firestarter, carrie etc that would be reality and if everyone has this abilty it would be on going the world is full of trauma that would cause it all the time there would be no question about it. We have a lot of people in this world in front of a lot of witnesses and cameras yet we do not have any wide spead cases we have none that i know of and i sure cant say its because the witnesses all block it out.

I will play devils advocate to a degree in a way, a case i do like lady or miracle of fatima.

Here is a far better write than i could ever do...

lady luck

On 12/20/2022 at 10:29 PM, openozy said:

I'm sure you have a while yet to live bats but I doubt you will get the proof you desire if you lived another 1000 years.

I can agree with this^ because a person who is invested in their pride on such topics, will never find sufficient proof that they can't find some room to shoot down.  And that is absolutely fine.  No one is compelled to believe and most believers I know aren't invested at all in demanding faith from anyone.  To each his own.  I just wish the same respect was returned to people who do believe in God.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, and-then said:

I just wish the same respect was returned to people who do believe in God.

I'd hardly call it respect when people mention the paranormal, more like ridicule from most. Much more ridicule than religious people cop for believing in something  invisible, even to them.

2 hours ago, and-then said:

most believers I know aren't invested at all in demanding faith from anyone

Not like the d********s that wake you at home trying to force their religious beliefs onto you. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, and-then said:

I can agree with this^ because a person who is invested in their pride on such topics, will never find sufficient proof that they can't find some room to shoot down.  And that is absolutely fine.  No one is compelled to believe and most believers I know aren't invested at all in demanding faith from anyone.  To each his own.  I just wish the same respect was returned to people who do believe in God.  

As long as someone who believes in a deity respects those who don't beileve they will get respect in return (there are some on both sides of that issue that respect no one, and they are the exception, not the rule).

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 3:32 PM, and-then said:

You simply havent read enough of my babbling and missed the mark on me, no, "pride" isnt it at all, one way i can prove that im not about shooting every thing down is i have a large folder of "unexplained" sometimes a case in that folder becomes explained but sadly the explanation is never paranormal.

Unlike you most believers i have encountered become furious if their unsupported "story" isnt taken at face value and or is questioned very few are good with admitting all they have is a story and they cant everyone to believe based on blind faith.

I avoid the religious section as much as possible out of respect to those who do believe based on faith which is a bit hypocritical of me and im trying to sort that all out.

On 1/14/2023 at 6:15 PM, openozy said:

I'd hardly call it respect when people mention the paranormal, more like ridicule from most. Much more ridicule than religious people cop for believing in something  invisible, even to them.

Not like the d********s that wake you at home trying to force their religious beliefs onto you. 

Ive simply never met one that i recall religious person who wasnt pious and tryed to chastise me for not believing as i they do, its like kids who would try to sell seeds door to door to win a pony these people think it gives them brownie points in heaven to annoy and harass people.

Ive had them say i would burn in hell for things ranging from wearing black, having long hair to that i worked in clubs

• Haha 1

I remember my Mom telling me when they first started selling those boards in toy stores to keep away from them. 

She said that her and two of her friends  found what looked to be a very old board in her attic. They decided to try it out. She wouldn’t give me any details, just said after one try that they took it outside and burned it to ashes. 

As I got older I asked her a couple times what had happened. It wasn’t till just a couple years ago she told me some of it. I won’t repeat it here, but she said something responding was very nasty. Said things to them 3 middle school age girls, especially in that time, would have never dreamed of hearing, let alone saying themselves. 

I don’t know what to think of it. I did take her advice though and never got into playing with one. 

We just had an epic packed night for our friday the 13th party at the club, nothing went wrong in fact it was the best night in a long time and im bringing this up because when i think of the stories about ouija being portals to hell or evil entities etc these are always just stories albeit most do have dramatic embellishments to try to cement they just had to be at the mercy of outside forces as the people playing with it couldnt have come up with this or that while i do believe this...

ouija science

I am now going to place ouija into the area of belief of superstitions those who do have any fears at all about these type things should avoid them, its like those fertility statues that the ripleys museum had near the out doors, of the zillions of guests a couple ladies who touched the statues became pregnant so no reason to take changes right?

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

Ive had them say i would burn in hell for things ranging from wearing black, having long hair to that i worked in clubs

You heathen.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, openozy said:

You heathen.

I resemble that remark :tu:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

We just had an epic packed night for our friday the 13th party at the club,

Satanist :lol:.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, openozy said:

Satanist :lol:.

Naaa, im not much into worship, i would like for there to be more but i have yet to meet it, or him or her or whatever pronoun is desired.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Naaa, im not much into worship, i would like for there to be more but i have yet to meet it, or him or her or whatever pronoun is desired.

I think it will be whatever you want it to be, pearly gates, just blackness. 72 virgins sounds too much like hard work to me though and finding 72 even harder.

• Like 1

So many LARPers in this thread

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Occupational Hubris said:

So many LARPers in this thread

Maybe you mean role players we get a ton of cos player at the club its a blast, there group did killers and victims theme last friday.

On 1/17/2023 at 5:45 AM, the13bats said:

Maybe you mean role players we get a ton of cos player at the club its a blast, there group did killers and victims theme last friday.

LARP stands for Live Action Role Play(ers) and people in this thread are role playing ghosts being real and ouija boards being anything other than novetly items

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Occupational Hubris said:

LARP stands for Live Action Role Play(ers) and people in this thread are role playing ghosts being real and ouija boards being anything other than novetly items

You play a good live action box head :lol:. LABH for short :tu:.

8 minutes ago, openozy said:

You play a good live action box head :lol:. LABH for short :tu:.

image.jpeg.9ee69968b6529d44bd397bd17058d3fc.jpeg

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Occupational Hubris said:

image.jpeg.9ee69968b6529d44bd397bd17058d3fc.jpeg

Lol, all you have to do is take it off to experience a bigger world :tu:. You have a good sense of humor Hub so you're on the right track mate.

On 1/16/2023 at 2:51 AM, the13bats said:

We just had an epic packed night for our friday the 13th party at the club, nothing went wrong in fact it was the best night in a long time and im bringing this up because when i think of the stories about ouija being portals to hell or evil entities etc these are always just stories albeit most do have dramatic embellishments to try to cement they just had to be at the mercy of outside forces as the people playing with it couldnt have come up with this or that while i do believe this...

ouija science

I am now going to place ouija into the area of belief of superstitions those who do have any fears at all about these type things should avoid them, its like those fertility statues that the ripleys museum had near the out doors, of the zillions of guests a couple ladies who touched the statues became pregnant so no reason to take changes right?

I don’t know anything about the legitimacy or lack there of when it comes to ouija boards. Never really cared either way. This article however seems to me anyway, is possibly another cynical opinion disguising itself as scientific. 

First it describes what people perceive, to communicate with well whatever. Then it labels it with a name. Never goes into why or how they know this should be classified under that name. Doesn’t site a single study or give any reference whatsoever. 

Then it claims a simple experiment can debunk the whole thing. I’m honestly not saying it can or it can’t, it says that the user is moving the key subconsciously, and if they can’t see the letters then all that will come out is gibberish. While that may or may not be true, that article again wants the reader to follow the idea with blind faith. Again no study linked, no proof at all of these claims. 

Then we get to the author of the piece, who writes for the skeptical inquirer. I’m thinking maybe he might not be as unbiased as it would require to be an authority on the subject. Sounds to me like someone who may have ignored a great deal so as to fit his beliefs on this subject into a nice little square so it fits the square hole. 

Just saying. 

Id be more than open to reading honestly scientifically backed information on this, but that article falls way short of that. 

On 1/19/2023 at 9:37 PM, Occupational Hubris said:

I knew what it stood for, decades back i DJed a few vampire nights what a hoot.

I dont think the folks in this thread are "playing" some sincerely believe ghost are real and or Ouija boards are portals to hell even with zero to support it and plenty of proof its all in their minds, that is why somewhere i wrote if a person is a superstitious type, credulous and believes flights of fantasy then maybe it would be good to avoid such things that might be tools to fuel the imaginations.

Of course if one is pestered by 999 happy haunts dont waste money on charlatans just become a skeptic spookies never mess with us.