Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

4 college students found murdered In Idaho.

Grim Reaper 6

Police have received over 645 tips since the murder and are going through all of them. This article is from today.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/trending/police-sift-through-hundreds-tips-after-4-university-idaho-students-killed/EVAFGK7VVBC3FLFU65LASOV7NI/

Officials said the two uninjured roommates called friends to the home on Nov. 13 after finding one of the victims on the second floor of the house. At the time, detectives said they believed the person had passed out and was not waking up.

It was not immediately clear how the surviving roommates did not hear the attack, which police believe happened as the victims slept.

Authorities said Mogen and Goncalves called a man after returning to the home on King Road. Goncalves’s older sister, Alivea Goncalves, told The New York Times that her sister had called her former longtime boyfriend several times before her death. She said that the calls went unanswered.“Everything that we have taken from those calls, we have followed up on, we have cleared, and we believe that there’s no connection there,” he said.

Fry said Sunday that authorities have interviewed more than 90 people as part of their investigation. They have not identified any suspects or found the weapon used in the attack.

“We are looking everywhere that evidence would lead us,” he said. “I can’t say if (the suspect’s) here. I can’t say what community the person’s in. We’re utilizing every resource we can to make that location for that individual.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, susieice said:

Officials said the two uninjured roommates called friends to the home on Nov. 13 after finding one of the victims on the second floor of the house. At the time, detectives said they believed the person had passed out and was not waking up.

Curious. I had gotten the impression from reports that this was a bloodbath and rather savage as crime scenes go, but this first one found was mistaken for simply unconscious?  Guess I need to find autopsy reports for a better guess at motive and whodunit. 

In investigating a mess like this, how many stab wounds, and where on the body can tell you a great deal about the relationship between killer and victim... even if said relationship is only in the attacker's mind. 

I had ideas until I read this. Now, not so sure of my first guess.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

Curious. I had gotten the impression from reports that this was a bloodbath and rather savage as crime scenes go, but this first one found was mistaken for simply unconscious?  Guess I need to find autopsy reports for a better guess at motive and whodunit. 

In investigating a mess like this, how many stab wounds, and where on the body can tell you a great deal about the relationship between killer and victim... even if said relationship is only in the attacker's mind. 

I had ideas until I read this. Now, not so sure of my first guess.

LE in Idaho along with a lot of reporters are asking the same thing. The crime scenes were a horrific bloodbath. The ME said they were the worse she's ever seen. There was blood everywhere. All over the walls. Blood was dripping from the house to the outside and down the outer foundation. One reporter wondered if maybe this one was covered in some way. Doesn't make any sense. Unless the roommate didn't actually go into the room. She may have called through the door and didn't get a response. They called friends over, not medical help. One of the friends went upstairs and saw and called 911. Just guessing.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Hi all. I ve been watching those life time movies:) and it always ends up  a girl kills her ex boyfriend and  all his girlfriends   because she was losing him. Could this killer be a women ?  look at Jodi Ann Arias that stabbed Travis to death  :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Travis_Alexander

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 1

It could be anybody docy. 

Here's an interview that the parents of victim Ethan Chapin gave. At the very end, his mother says he and his girlfriend, Xana Kernodle, were in the same room. She says it around 10:03 on the tape. I also saw that she had said earlier that the 2 girls who survived had heard something. I don't know if police actually told her this information or if she was just under that assumption. In the interview they discuss Ethan's athletic abilities. Kernodle's father said she had defensive wounds and had fought her attacker. If they were together when they were attacked, it makes me wonder how their killer was able to overcome them without any one making a lot of noise. Maybe as a parent, she was told more than the public.

I hope they catch the person responsible soon so the students at the university can go back to campus and live their lives without fear. A lot of them are afraid right now. Many left early for Thanksgiving (fall) break.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Scholar4Truth said:

This murder has nothing to do with Russia. How you can compare the two is beyond me. It may have come from the names of other places.  Moscow, Pennsylvania and  Moscow, Iowa. Are you going to try and connect those as well? what nonsense. 

I’m giving it an 80% chance at this point. What’s your theory?

Why would any perpetrator, motivated by “targeted” anger, choose to invade a home in this fashion, when the risk is so high? It makes no sense, when there are easier opportunities, such as waiting for the holiday dispersal of students, or their return from holiday, which would likely leave the house, partly empty, not full.

These murders were not performed by an amateur. This looks like a professional hit with the aid of surveillance.

So instead, let’s say it was a serial killer, where is the usual manner of control? It’s missing. The element of surprise has replaced control.

It’s not likely random, or gang related, because the perpetrator appears to have understood the layout of the house.

If the first floor door was really left open, which still isn’t clear to me, I think that’s a tell. It sends a message, including leaving two survivors. Although it’s possible that  both girls locked their first floor doors and that was why the killer didn’t continue his killing spree.

Edited by Raptor Witness

This is interesting.

https://www.cbs17.com/news/national-news/couple-says-dog-was-skinned-and-filleted-weeks-before-4-idaho-college-students-were-killed-in-knife-attack/

Meanwhile Monday, a couple who lives nearby shared a harrowing story about a knife attack that killed their dog weeks before the murders of the college students.

KHQ-TV reported Jim and Pam Colbert owned a 12-year-old mini Australian Shepard that was “skinned and left dead” in a nearby field.

The couple first spoke to the Daily Mail and said the dog named “Buddy” was filleted just three miles from the scene of the college student murders.

KHQ-TV reporter John Webb reported that Latah County Deputies told the couple that a person killed their dog in the attack.

But Webb reported Latah County Capt. Shane Anderson said Monday there is no connection to the murders of the college students.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

48 minutes ago, susieice said:

This is interesting.

https://www.cbs17.com/news/national-news/couple-says-dog-was-skinned-and-filleted-weeks-before-4-idaho-college-students-were-killed-in-knife-attack/

Meanwhile Monday, a couple who lives nearby shared a harrowing story about a knife attack that killed their dog weeks before the murders of the college students.

KHQ-TV reported Jim and Pam Colbert owned a 12-year-old mini Australian Shepard that was “skinned and left dead” in a nearby field.

The couple first spoke to the Daily Mail and said the dog named “Buddy” was filleted just three miles from the scene of the college student murders.

KHQ-TV reporter John Webb reported that Latah County Deputies told the couple that a person killed their dog in the attack.

But Webb reported Latah County Capt. Shane Anderson said Monday there is no connection to the murders of the college students.

One of the first signs of a latent serial killer.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Raptor Witness said:

I’m giving it an 80% chance at this point. What’s your theory?

Why would any perpetrator, motivated by “targeted” anger, choose to invade a home in this fashion, when the risk is so high? It makes no sense, when there are easier opportunities, such as waiting for the holiday dispersal of students, or their return from holiday, which would likely leave the house, partly empty, not full.

These murders were not performed by an amateur. This looks like a professional hit with the aid of surveillance.

So instead, let’s say it was a serial killer, where is the usual manner of control? It’s missing. The element of surprise has replaced control.

It’s not likely random, or gang related, because the perpetrator appears to have understood the layout of the house.

If the first floor door was really left open, which still isn’t clear to me, I think that’s a tell. It sends a message, including leaving two survivors. Although it’s possible that  both girls locked their first floor doors and that was why the killer didn’t continue his killing spree.

That does not even come close to your theory that its connected to Russia. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, susieice said:

….. it makes me wonder how their killer was able to overcome them without any one making a lot of noise. Maybe as a parent, she was told more than the public.

I don’t think so, based on what I’ve heard, below; but of course it’s possible.

As I understand it, at least one of the girls downstairs did hear something, but they thought they were just partying, upstairs, and so she locked her door.

What’s disturbing, is the sound of fear and panic should be quite different from “partying,” but these are the same people who apparently reported someone was passed out when they called 911. You know darn well that must’ve been a bloody mess.

“Passed out?”

Edited by Raptor Witness

5 minutes ago, Scholar4Truth said:

That does not even come close to your theory that its connected to Russia. 

So present your theory, before you criticize mine … 

10 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

Serial killer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Raptor Witness said:

Even if we Grant it with some sort of hit that doesn't mean there's any connection to Russia. By you claiming that the simple phrase Moscow Idaho means it was Russian is a semantic game.

• Like 2

When a former FBI behavioral analyst says, “I’ll have to be honest with you,” I have to question the “truth teller’s” credibility.

At the 3:00 minute mark:

It’s so “unusual,” the FBI now reportedly has over 50 people involved in the investigation.

2 minutes ago, Scholar4Truth said:

Even if we Grant it with some sort of hit that doesn't mean there's any connection to Russia. By you claiming that the simple phrase Moscow Idaho means it was Russian is a semantic game.

You didn’t present your case. You are dismissed….

1 hour ago, Raptor Witness said:

You didn’t present your case. You are dismissed….

Dude the very fact you tied Putin to this case is enough to dismiss your claim.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Scholar4Truth said:

Dude the very fact you tied Putin to this case is enough to dismiss your claim.

I gave my theory an 80% chance. That’s not “tying” anything. You have no argument of your own, so you exaggerate my theory.

You’re behaving like the Moscow, Idaho police, in their news conferences, and who look like a cat that swallowed the canary in the coal mine.

Have you ever bothered to put yourself in Putin‘s place? If not, again, you’re dismissed.

Who do you think is killing Russia’s young people, a.k.a. “soldiers,” from Putin’s perspective? Right or wrong, were it not for the hundreds of billions in US assistance, and our logistics, this war would’ve been over, a long time ago.

I don’t think the Russians would hesitate to slaughter our young people, in their sleep, leaving U.S. to wonder. Like him or not, Putin has rolled the dice like this before. Has he miscalculated, again?  Looking at the way our press is covering the story, I don’t think so.

The United States can’t handle a swarm of professional, military trained terrorists, engaging in this type of crime. By the time we figure out who is doing the killing, the professionals are long gone. I doubt we would have much luck catching them, and the Russians have nothing to lose, now. Murder is a common crime in the United States, but not in Moscow USA.

There’s more than one way to interfere with an upcoming election. Attempting to make the Biden Administration look like a reign of chaos and confusion, is a no brainer.

There’s nothing to Keep U.S. safe, against this type of crime.

An FBI Analyst on Fox News goes out of his way, this morning, to avoid implying this was a “professional?”

At the 1:00 minute mark:

Why the qualifier, “I’m not saying this was a professional?”

It reminds me of the other FBI analyst, when recently interviewed, who qualified, “I’ll have to be honest with you.”

Sometimes it’s the obvious “no-hints” or qualifiers in an interview that matter the most.

Having conducted many interviews over many years, it’s pretty obvious.

55 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

An FBI Analyst on Fox News goes out of his way, this morning, to avoid implying this was a “professional?”

At the 1:00 minute mark:

Why the qualifier, “I’m not saying this was a professional?”

It reminds me of the other FBI analyst, when recently interviewed, who qualified, “I’ll have to be honest with you.”

Sometimes it’s the obvious “no-hints” or qualifiers in an interview that matter the most.

Having conducted many interviews over many years, it’s pretty obvious.

I think they didn't want to imply it was "professional" because there is no evidence to confirm that it was "professional".  

Could be a serial killer, most likely.

• Like 2

This link is video. The search area has been expanded to the woods surrounding the house. Ethan Chapin is the first victim to be laid to rest.

https://www.today.com/video/university-of-idaho-considers-remote-learning-with-killer-still-at-large-154899013713?cid=referral_taboolafeed

• Thanks 1

A little more information. Madison Mogen's room was located on the 3rd floor. Police were seen trying to look through the windows from the woods behind the house. You can look through the bushes and see a lot when the house is illuminated at night.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/idaho-police-probing-whether-killer-hid-woods-college-coed-massacre

Law-enforcement officers were seen crouching behind the trees that separate the parking lot from the house, looking for the best vantage point. They were about 10 yards from the home.

Investigators were also seen looking for any depressions in the ground perhaps left by the suspect lying in wait.

A law enforcement source told Fox News that authorities are investigating the possibility of a peeping Tom. Idaho State Police Communications Director Aaron Snell would only say that investigators are exploring all theories.

Investigators appeared to be exploring the killer's possible exit route.  

A group of law-enforcement agents stood in the parking lot as an Idaho State Police officer sprinted toward them from the home's back sliding doors using two different routes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/idaho-police-remove-evidence-boxes-from-home-where-college-students-were-murdered/ar-AA14qCAr

MOSCOW, Idaho – Investigators continued combing through the scene where four college students were murdered on Tuesday, removing multiple boxes of evidence from the home in Moscow, Idaho. 

A law enforcement officer could be seen loading a cardboard box and plastic bin into an SUV before driving away on Tuesday. 

Kaylee's father, Steve Goncalves, previously told Fox News that the killer "made a mess" and police are going to "have to go through that point by point and that's going to take a lot of time.

"They're telling us that there's so much evidence that it's going to take a lot of time to process it all," Steve Goncalves told Fox News' Lawrence Jones on Saturday. "This wasn’t like a pinpoint crime. This person was sloppy."

In addition to searching inside the house, police also cordoned off a wide area behind the home on Monday, including a parking lot and forested area. 

A memorial picture left at the home where four college students were murdered in Moscow, Idaho. Derek Shook for Fox News Digital

A memorial picture left at the home where four college students were murdered in Moscow, Idaho. Derek Shook for Fox News Digital

• Like 1