Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Franlab Live! Artemis I Launch

Davros of Skaro

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

DAMNIT!!! It WOULD BE CLOUDY here today :(   If it were clear, we could see the launch even from this far away <_<

• Like 1

Didn't watch it launch but I did hear it. It wasn't as loud as I thought it would be. Then again I am about 15 miles from the launch site.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

NASA Moon mission 'exceeding' expectaions

On the third day after lifting off from Florida bound for the Moon, the Orion spacecraft is "exceeding performance expectations," NASA officials said on Friday.

Orion is already some 200,000 miles (320,000 kilometers) from Earth and preparing to perform the first of four main thrusts scheduled during the mission using its engines.

This maneuver, which will take place early Monday morning, will bring the spacecraft as close as 80 miles (130 kilometers) from the lunar surface, in order to take advantage of the Moon's gravitational force.

https://phys.org/news/2022-11-nasa-moon-mission-exceeding-expectaions.html

• Thanks 1

Nasa's Artemis spacecraft has arrived at the Moon.

The Orion capsule swept 130km (80 miles) above the lunar surface, and it will now begin to enter a larger orbit.

The vehicle was out of contact for 34 minutes during this manoeuvre, which began at 12:44 GMT, as it took place on the far side of the Moon.

As the signal returned, the spacecraft sent back an image of the Earth. Nasa says so far the mission has "exceeded expectations" since last week's launch.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-63697714

Allegedly 60 years ago NASA has landed people on the moon and so allegedly they walk there with with a technology that is equivalent of a dish washer. The moon should have been crowded with space tourists by now,  but surprisingly isn't. Furthermore to this day no nation including NASA has sent manned missions to the moon . Strange isn't it?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
The cost is prohibitive. When it costs a few million dollars just for a short walk it's not something that is worth doing again. When/If we develop a cheaper and more functional way to go there THEN you will see people going there just for the heck of it. With a price that measures in billions, it isn't something that is a tourist sort of trip.

https://money.com/apollo-11-moon-mission-cost/

On 11/16/2022 at 6:59 AM, esoteric_toad said:

Didn't watch it launch but I did hear it. It wasn't as loud as I thought it would be. Then again I am about 15 miles from the launch site.

Back in July of 1999, I came down to Kennedy and toured the facility and got to watch a night launch of Columbia.  It was the Chandra X-Ray telescope mission.  I'll never forget the experience, especially the quality of the light the engines produced.  The viewing area was on the Banana River.  

• Like 2

The US space agency's Orion capsule is heading home.

The vehicle conducted a big engine burn on Monday in the vicinity of the Moon that now commits it to a splashdown in the Pacific Ocean on Sunday.

It was the last major powered manoeuvre for the next-generation crew ship on what has been, so far, a highly successful demonstration flight.

A trouble-free return at the weekend will see astronauts climb aboard Orion for its next mission in late 2024.

Nasa is planning a series of ever more complex outings for the capsule and its launch rocket - as part of its Artemis programme.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-63866949

• Like 2

On 11/24/2022 at 2:49 PM, qxcontinuum said:

Allegedly 60 years ago NASA has landed people on the moon and so allegedly they walk there with with a technology that is equivalent of a dish washer. The moon should have been crowded with space tourists by now,  but surprisingly isn't. Furthermore to this day no nation including NASA has sent manned missions to the moon . Strange isn't it?

No, not strange. If you comprehend it.

I guess you can start with your dishwasher vs Apollo comparison.

Assume you’re talking about computing power?

On 12/4/2022 at 10:19 PM, and-then said:

Back in July of 1999, I came down to Kennedy and toured the facility and got to watch a night launch of Columbia.  It was the Chandra X-Ray telescope mission.  I'll never forget the experience, especially the quality of the light the engines produced.  The viewing area was on the Banana River.  

I worked for United Space Alliance in the early 2000's. There is NOTHING like watching the shuttle launch from the west side of the VAB. While the visuals were amazing the sound was really the most incredible part. Nothing like it.

• Like 1

NASA Moon capsule Orion due to splash down after record-setting voyage

After making a close pass at the Moon and venturing further into space than any previous habitable spacecraft, NASA's Orion capsule is due to splash down Sunday in the final test of a high-stakes mission called Artemis.

As it hurtles into Earth's atmosphere at a speed of 25,000 miles (40,000 kilometers) per hour, the gumdrop-shaped traveler will have to withstand a temperature of 2,800 degrees Centigrade (5,000 Fahrenheit)—about half that of the surface of the sun.

Splashdown in the Pacific off the Mexican island of Guadalupe is scheduled for 1739 GMT (9:39 am local time).

https://phys.org/news/2022-12-nasa-moon-capsule-orion-due.html

What a waste of funding but obviously the main purpose is for national security, not for science as eluded.  Oh well, fed can just keep printing that cash out of thin air. A run away national debt is irrelevant.

Six missions landed humans on the Moon, beginning with Apollo 11 in July 1969, during which Neil Armstrong became the first person to walk on the Moon.

The last moon landing was Apollo 17 mission in 1972.

No need for conspiracy theories.

I am reading a book by Travis S. Taylor PHD and his history of NASA is interesting (peppered with a lot of resentment of other countries and politicians).   It is a good book if you want an over view, he is a smart man and in the book he explains why there were no more moon missions after Apollo 17.   Politics mainly starting with Nixon.   Any way, the book is called A New American Space Plan.