Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost Diary

Mystify

"I've got to get out of here!!!" from yesterdays update on the Ghost Diary

Sorry, but I lol'ed all the way through my day after reading that. If she was that shook up, I don't think she would post, but, thats just me.

Oh well.

ChrisStrickler

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mystify

• Dakoda

• Loonboy

• Tommy

Top Posters In This Topic

i must say the story seems to be showing several holes these days. Terribly sad really. that web cams a joke sorry guys but i think she has lost me.

btw  thanx 4 the welcome  ;D

Well.... there is no way to rule anything out right now. Being the skeptics we are, it is natural to assume it's all fake. But knowing what I know about the spirit world from my own experience, I cannot totally rule out the fact that there is a possiblity that she is telling the truth.

I agree with Kismitt. These diary entries are getting a little off key, it seems. And Chris, you gave me a great idea: now, whenever I'm down about something, I'll on the Haunted Diary site and humor myself with her entries. ;D

:-* Dakoda

I've just had a good read through "Ghost Diary" and thought it amazing how everything has escalated (except for the scratching noises) over the couple of month's she has been there. There is no talk of any aroma's being carried by the supposive ghost's in the house, this is something I have always encountered. The television has played up big time yet she has no problems with her computer or any other electrical equipment. Here is a woman who admits she is frightened by what is going on and she decides to hold a Ouija Board sitting with friends.

Worked for the students who made millions from The Blair Witch Project, I think all will be a bit dubious in future as to what we take as fact. Could this be the work of a Psychology student seeing how subseptible the human mind is to printed works.

Well it sounds like the Ghost diary is about to come to an end, as the diary writer feels that she has to sell her house. :-/

Tommy  

Tis a shame it is ending, but I'm glad it started.

It was great reading material. I've saved the whole thing in my database just incase I need to tell a good story some day to my kids :)

Just that you know it, we are all leughing about the things she wrote, but we al returned tpo see what she writes the next day, so, hasn't she reached her goal? PUBLICITY?

Odin Supreme 8)

• 1 month later...

well I just came out of the Haunted diary chat room at http://www.web-performance.net/~reaper--

The chat room was a debunking of the so called Haunted Diary. As so many of you already know... many parts of her story never made sense.

Seems that they have a theory that she took her story of 'Alfie' from a book called "Haunted America". It has a story in there about a house with a ghost named alfie in it. The story does go on about him having gotten his neck broken, but from falling down back steps. Her story isn't quite like this one is the book, but it is safe to assume that she tried to have people believe this was her was her house. She had stated in the beginning that it was a house seen in many ghost books (not exact same words..but along those lines...). Anyways... her story always had many holes in it. It was entertaining, but still lacked true character just because it was a fraud. Had it just been a story...maybe....nahhhh

So this confirms she's a fraud :)

Anyways... I've been looking all over the net for a site that has all the info on the real story from the book   Haunted America   But have had no luck.

cheers

Mystify

Mystify,

It would have to be a pretty well known or popular ghost story or tale to be able to find reference to it on the internet. It would seem that haunted diary herself made the mistake of referencing a premise from a well known book to base her haunted tale on. Its difficult to determine how closely it relates to the original, but it will cost you approx. $8 US dollars to find out, or $10.50 Canadian :P(roughly $24 Euro dollars). :o Here's a reference to 'Alfie', scroll down to the bottom or the page, under the Mass. listing;

CLICK HERE

MAGIKMAN

Cool...  we knew it :)   Thanks

It's a damn shame really that the Haunted Diary wasn't genuine, mainly because of it's potential to have been an amazing insight into paranormal activites of the house in question. Fictional accounts of experiences with ghosts will always hinder any real progress in properly investigating the subject as a whole.

Perhaps the author of the site did indeed move into a new house that was supposedly haunted, fully intending to report the ghostly activites that went on there, but ended up finding that nothing happened, and had to resort to making up all her diary entries to prevent having to give up on the site. Still, even if just a work of fiction, the Haunted Diary was certainly a very entertaining read to say the least.

• 3 weeks later...

It appears the author of the haunted diary website has returned and admitted to instigating a hoax. The rationale given was primarily vengeance - his/her grandmother supposedly lives in a haunted house and was conned out of close to $1000 last year by fraudulent 'psychics' taking advantage of the trust and gullibility of a frail, old lady. The authors tale was designed to 'trap' and expose other 'fake' psychics who would attempt to contact him/her, and report them to the police. A 'paranormal' sting as it were.

Some may accept the explanation as noble and well intentioned, but I have my doubts. 'Haunted' claims to have been contacted by four such individuals, but their ultimate fate is unknown as no names were offered as proof. Which means everyone is again left with just this persons word about the success of this suspeciously dubious plan. What is interesting is that the 'confession' came after about two months of silence, when most of the interested members had abandoned the site, unaware of the deception manifested on them. More and more people were beginning to express their doubts about the authenticity of haunted's story towards the end, and the reasoning seems like backpedaling to save face to me, especially after such a long period of time. Could it be it took them that long to develop a 'plausible' excuse? I for one don't understand why 'haunted' didn't put as much effort and determination into finding and ultimately exposing the 'real' culprits that defrauded his/her grandmother, wouldn't that make more sense? Personally, I would find greater satisfaction in seeing justice done to someone who had directly harmed a member of my family, but that's just me.

Not to beat a dead horse, but once again here's a prime example of the unreliability of information that can be found on the internet.  Whatever the motivation or purpose, there's hardly a better reason to maintain a sense of caution when determining the  credibility of someone's claims on the internet, or any other medium, for that matter.

MAGIKMAN