Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Special Counsel to determine whether Trump should face charges

Tiggs

WASHINGTON–Attorney General Merrick Garland will appoint a special counsel to determine whether former President Donald Trump should face charges stemming from Justice Department probes, according to a person familiar with the matter.

A formal announcement, which is expected by Friday afternoon, would come three days after Mr. Trump announced another bid for the presidency and would mark the naming of the third independent prosecutor in five years to examine issues involving Mr. Trump. The exact scope of the special counsel’s remit and who it would be couldn’t be determined.

Source: WSJ.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Looks like his life on the run is soon to end.  The walls are closing in...THIS TIME :lol:  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Tiggs said:

WASHINGTON–Attorney General Merrick Garland will appoint a special counsel to determine whether former President Donald Trump should face charges stemming from Justice Department probes, according to a person familiar with the matter.

:sleepy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

'So unfair': Trump calls on GOP to ‘fight’ special counsel and says he will not ‘partake’ in the investigations (msn.com)

Garland laid out the two investigations Smith will oversee.

"The first is the investigation, as described in court filings in the District of Columbia, into whether any person or entity unlawfully interfered with the transfer of power following the 2020 presidential election or the certification of the Electoral College vote held on or about January 6, 2021," DOJ announced. "The second is the ongoing investigation involving classified documents and other presidential records, as well as the possible obstruction of that investigation, referenced and described in court filings submitted in a pending matter in the Southern District of Florida."Trump's son Eric also attacked the investigation as communism.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MGB said:

'So unfair': Trump calls on GOP to ‘fight’ special counsel and says he will not ‘partake’ in the investigations (msn.com)

Garland laid out the two investigations Smith will oversee.

"The first is the investigation, as described in court filings in the District of Columbia, into whether any person or entity unlawfully interfered with the transfer of power following the 2020 presidential election or the certification of the Electoral College vote held on or about January 6, 2021," DOJ announced. "The second is the ongoing investigation involving classified documents and other presidential records, as well as the possible obstruction of that investigation, referenced and described in court filings submitted in a pending matter in the Southern District of Florida."Trump's son Eric also attacked the investigation as communism.

Meanwhile:

2 minutes ago, joc said:

Meanwhile:

What is he taking about? A Loch project or a lock project? Is he a rambling insane fool?

10 minutes ago, MGB said:

What is he taking about? A Loch project or a lock project? Is he a rambling insane fool?

It was a local speech targeted at rebuilding the bridge that collapsed near Pittsburg last year and rebuilding the locks for updated barge traffic because they were a commercial choke point.  Infrastructure.  It probably made perfect sense to the  40-50 people that were there and got their bridge and barge channel fixed. Excerpts:

"The result: Pennsylvania has been able to repair Fern Hollow Bridge in less than a year.  But we — it’s being done in record time.  Normally you’d be looking at two to five years to build a bridge like this, literally. 

And the total project costs $25 million — fully paid for by the federal government.  (Applause.)

Not just bridges though.  Just outside of Pittsburgh, we’re investing over $850 million to replace and expand a 100-year-old Montgomery Locks and Dam that’s critical to the nation’s economy.

And I’m — we’re investing — that investment is going to increase the capacity of this system — the Locks — over 50 percent at a critical choke point in the river. 

That means we’re going to be able to move an additional 14,000 barges every year, saving the equivalent of having to have one million hauls on tractor trailers to get the same material to where it has to go.

These savings are going to allow the locks to be more efficient and move 10 billion tons of goods like coal, petroleum, and steel.

And as a consequence, we’re lowering the cost of transporting these materials, but just as important — just as important, we’re going to reduce emissions that can come from the trucks and trains hauling it over through — by reducing it by 3.5 million tons of CO2 a year.  (Applause.)  Three point — cutting pollution in the air we breathe.  This is good for the economy and the environment and public health. "

Guaranteed he is not a dynamic speaker, but the subject was pretty good news to locals. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Said Yesterday in DC.
A few days after Biden answered about Hunter, that he hopes they can focus on fixing the Country, and not tax money wasted on these things.

"President Biden is not going to let these political attacks distract him from focusing on Americans’ priorities, and we hope congressional Republicans will join us in tackling them instead of wasting time and resources on political revenge."

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MGB said:

Yes!  He is a rambling insane fool...one who is in waaay over his head!

Here are some more foolish ramblings...when he was Vice President under Barack Hussein Obama.  Where is the balance of power that wanted to prosecute him for Quid Pro Quo?   crickets

What he is talking about is the Prosecutor in the Ukraine who was investigating the company that Joe Biden's son 'worked' for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, joc said:

Here are some more foolish ramblings...when he was Vice President under Barack Hussein Obama.  Where is the balance of power that wanted to prosecute him for Quid Pro Quo?   crickets

What he is talking about is the Prosecutor in the Ukraine who was investigating the company that Joe Biden's son 'worked' for.

Was he?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joc said:

Ah yes, rambling insane old fool style Kung Fu.

Bumbling and stumbling along and leaving some help for vets, a CHIPS act, infrastructure, cap on insulin prices, and maybe some climate action in his wake.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

'Special councel' :lol:

Commonly known as 'Kangeroo court'

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, joc said:

Corruption on full show. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sakari said:

Said Yesterday in DC.
A few days after Biden answered about Hunter, that he hopes they can focus on fixing the Country, and not tax money wasted on these things.

"President Biden is not going to let these political attacks distract him from focusing on Americans’ priorities, and we hope congressional Republicans will join us in tackling them instead of wasting time and resources on political revenge."

Hummm.... Yes. Sounds very much like his campaign promises to be bipartisan.

Now that the House will be GOP controlled he's back to seeking bipartisanship... for the good of the country.

Did not give a damn the last two years, but now... now we need bipartisanship. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Seek revenge for what pray tell? :whistle:

8 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

'Special councel' :lol:

Commonly known as 'Kangeroo court'

You don't like non-partisan individuals with the power to hold leaders accountable?

In case people think January 6th and Trump's efforts to overturn the election and the appointment of a special counsel is "political" need I remind you this case is solid against Trump?

"The judge in California who said that Donald Trump likely committed crimes pointed out all the evidence that was presented to Trump or available to Trump that he should have known that there was no fraud sufficient to overturn the election," he elaborated. "And what you see with these texts is a remarkable chronology in real-time of them wanting to see, find evidence of fraud, and then not hearing any from [Rudy] Giuliani and Sidney Powell -- and all the cases they lost, 60 plus in federal, state courts throughout the country -- and they came to the conclusion that there was no constitutional way to overturn this election, and yet Donald Trump persisted."

"These two members, Lee and Roy, Senator Lee and Representative Roy, basically saying, help me help you," CNN host Berman interjected. "But then over time they realized there was, in their words, 'no help there.' Just look at the evolution from Chip Roy, he said: 'We need ammo. We need fraud examples.' Later he is saying the president should have never have 'spun up something to Americans that is not true."

'And yet Donald Trump persisted': George Conway explains the 'remarkable' significance of new January 6th texts - Alternet.org

Trump will naturally blame this on "bad advice" from his Lawyers, but he knew there was no fraud and that it was unconstitutional when trying to insert "false electors." And when, not if an indictment comes do not be surprised. Not a witch hunt.

• Like 1

After all of the charges they said were a sure thing I'll wait and see what happens this time. Years ago Adam Schiff said time after time he had seen the evidence and held it in his own hands that was going to put Trump away. Another fail.

• Like 1

I agree with @Michelle. I remember many on UM stating as fact that after Biden had won, Trump would be in chains within days. And yet, here, two years later, he's still out playing golf every day. 

I'll believe the evidence is solid and unimpeachable (pun intended), when I see him led off in handcuffs. I simply don't think it's going to happen. He'll maybe have some symbolic time assigned and suspended, or some such, but I doubt he'll be led away to jail.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DieChecker said:

I agree with @Michelle. I remember many on UM stating as fact that after Biden had won, Trump would be in chains within days. And yet, here, two years later, he's still out playing golf every day. 

I'll believe the evidence is solid and unimpeachable (pun intended), when I see him led off in handcuffs. I simply don't think it's going to happen. He'll maybe have some symbolic time assigned and suspended, or some such, but I doubt he'll be led away to jail.

I doubt he will end up in hand cuffs either. But I do see indictments coming. If he is innocent, it will play out in court, but the evidence is probably overwhelming in some cases as the DOJ is not just going to file frivolous charges. And look at the Mar-A-Lago case. Trump's Lawyers are attempting to shield and have thrown out all the incriminating documents, and this is one of the reasons for the special counsel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Former Vice President Mike Pence has received a subpoena from special counsel Jack Smith, who is investigating efforts by Donald Trump and his allies to subvert the 2020 election, according to two people familiar with the matter.

The people spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the action, which involves a grand jury whose proceedings are secret. ABC News first reported the development.

Source: Politico

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I expect a few laughs and caterwauling that BOM has been accused of countless things and never gets in any trouble, which so far has been fairly correct although i find his epic fair and square loss 2020 as a heck of a scolding to a person who hates to lose yet does so, a lot.

I didnt expect the rather quick jump to whataboutisms and "hey, look at biden" that tells me that even the most loyal and in deep denial ( of his wrong doings and fails ) subjects are actually worried about the tangerine dream not being above the law and being held responsible for his crimes.

I also believe its telling that after so long the powers to be are going to move forward with charging BOM with crimes they didnt so much wait as they were building a very careful case against BOM they know his tactics and want to show the America people he is not above the law. Then after his day in court he will walk scot free...lol jk.

After convictions then we come to sentencing punishment BOM is old, poor health slipping mentally and of course not looking well, as both fitting and romantic as it would be for the marmalaid messiah to share a cell with goatboy the worse he might get is home confinement he will bounce his grandkids on his knee, play golf and eat lots of mcfish happy meals.

But not that easy when he is found guilty expect a tantrum that tops a brat who spent their last token at chuck cheese, i wouldnt be a bit surprized if he doesnt turn right around and ask nay demand his loyal flock to fight for him. and he will waddle off for 9 holes.

Its a perfect was to not have to face another humiliating beating 2024. Oh yeah, "witch hunt!"

• Haha 1

On 2/10/2023 at 1:42 AM, Tiggs said:

Former Vice President Mike Pence has received a subpoena from special counsel Jack Smith, who is investigating efforts by Donald Trump and his allies to subvert the 2020 election, according to two people familiar with the matter.

The people spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the action, which involves a grand jury whose proceedings are secret. ABC News first reported the development.

Source: Politico

Be interesting to see, in Pence's own words, what he experienced, and took away, for the whole thing.

Federal prosecutors overseeing the investigation into former President Donald J. Trump’s handling of classified documents are seeking to pierce assertions of attorney-client privilege and compel one of his lawyers to answer more questions before a grand jury, according to two people familiar with the matter, adding an aggressive new dimension to the inquiry and underscoring the legal peril facing Mr. Trump.

The prosecutors have sought approval from a federal judge to invoke what is known as the crime-fraud exception, which allows them to work around attorney-client privilege when they have reason to believe that legal advice or legal services have been used in furthering a crime. The fact that prosecutors invoked the exception in a sealed motion to compel the testimony of the lawyer, M. Evan Corcoran, suggests that they believe Mr. Trump or his allies might have used Mr. Corcoran’s services in that way.

Source: The New York Times

• Like 1