Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Nazi” a no-no in Victorian politics

Golden Duck

I caught the tail-end of the this story on the ABC News.

Premier [Anne Dandrews] wrote in a tweet, “Nazis, racists and bigots have no place in politics”.

The Herald Sun reports that Deputy Premier Jacinta Allan “questioned over her use of the word “nazi”, the Deputy Labor leader said her party stood by the use of the term.”

... [Deputy Leader of the Liberals David Southwick] said: “...Six Million Jews were killed in the Holocaust by the Nazis,

Premier Daniel Andrews and now Deputy Premier Jacinta Allan’s claims today are an insult to their memory, to their families, and to the Jewish community.

I am disgusted.”

https://www.jwire.com.au/nazi-a-no-no-in-victorian-polices/

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Confused 2

On 11/20/2022 at 4:23 PM, Golden Duck said:

I caught the tail-end of the this story on the ABC News.

https://www.jwire.com.au/nazi-a-no-no-in-victorian-polices/

I can understand being critical of people who use it as a bad name to call someone you do not like.   However if you are using it to say - "Six Million Jews were killed in the Holocaust by the Nazis", there is nothing wrong with it.   Let's not forget the history.

I don't see the problem with using "Nazis" as a by-word for extreme intolerance.  Note, the terms "racists" and "bigots" are also used here.  If anything, given the context I have more problems with the word "racists" in this context than I do with "Nazis".  Why?  Because Nazis actively oppressed and murdered homosexuals.  What I don't see happening in this story is racism, and to imply that extremist religious groups performing illegal "conversion therapies" against homosexuals, is many bad things, but the one thing it is not is racist.  As to the killing of Jews during WW2, well the Jews tend to forget all the homosexuals the Nazis killed as well.  I think it is fair to say that extremist religious groups who believe they can use some sort of radical brainwashing technique to get members to suppress their homosexuality in order to enforce some mad idea of sexual conformity due to their religious ideology is pretty sickening, and should be opposed by decent ant tolerant people everywhere.

Edited by Alchopwn

1 hour ago, Alchopwn said:

I don't see the problem with using "Nazis" as a by-word for extreme intolerance.  Note, the terms "racists" and "bigots" are also used here.  If anything, given the context I have more problems with the word "racists" in this context than I do with "Nazis".  Why?  Because Nazis actively oppressed and murdered homosexuals.  What I don't see happening in this story is racism, and to imply that extremist religious groups performing illegal "conversion therapies" against homosexuals, is many bad things, but the one thing it is not is racist.  As to the killing of Jews during WW2, well the Jews tend to forget all the homosexuals the Nazis killed as well.  I think it is fair to say that extremist religious groups who believe they can use some sort of radical brainwashing technique to get members to suppress their homosexuality in order to enforce some mad idea of sexual conformity due to their religious ideology is pretty sickening, and should be opposed by decent ant tolerant people everywhere.

You're essentially preasching the Golden Rule.  If you don't see the problem, that doesn't mean others don't see a problem.

You could take it up with the descendants of those most affected by the Holocaust, the Anti-Defamation Commission.

Anti-defamation Commission Chairman Dvir Abramovich joined Mr Southwick in demanding an apology from the government, whom he warned are “cheapening the horrors” of the Holocaust.

Mr Abramovich, who chairs the civil rights organisation fighting anti-semitism and hatred, explained that the term is never acceptable and that politicians have a responsibility not to use the term flippantly.

“Elected representatives have a responsibility to understand that throwing around carelessly such terms as Nazis, belittles the atrocity that took place in Nazi Germany and Europe,” he told SkyNews.com.au.

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-news/politics/liberals-call-on-daniel-andrews-to-identify-alleged-nazi-candidates-as-he-comes-under-fire-for-using-the-term/news-story/5466c06cfec3b4678bec4f5e64a84920

Here we see Abramovich saying flippant usage diminishes history.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Here we see Abramovich saying flippant usage diminishes history.

Honestly, I think the premier should have decried "Bigots, Religious Extremists, and other forces for intolerance in the community".  Casually using the N word is a little flippant.  He could have at least used the F word instead.

• Haha 1