Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Canada wants to bring in 1.5m immigrants by 2025

Eldorado

Canada is betting big on immigration to fill the gap in its economy left by aging Baby Boomers leaving the workforce - but not everyone is on board with bringing in so many people from abroad.

Earlier this month, the federal government announced an aggressive plan to take in 500,000 immigrants a year by 2025, with almost 1.5 million new immigrants coming to the country over the next three years.

This plan would see Canada welcome about eight-times the number of permanent residents each year - per population - than the UK, and four-times more than its southern neighbour, the United States.

But a recent poll shows that there is also anxiety about welcoming in so many newcomers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-63643912

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

It’s a big country that has room for development to start with and having more people living here will increase consumer base which will in turn lower prices on products. The reason things cost less across the border is because they have a greater consumer base than we do.

I think if our population grew significantly that it may make passenger rail travel worthwhile again and would like to see high speed rail systems built like they have in many other countries. Much of our passenger rail systems were shut down years ago and now bus transit has been greatly reduced so travel for many is limited to either fly or rent a car if you don’t own one.

Canada is resource rich and needs more people living here to increase development and manufacturing so we can compete in a global market.

• Like 8

The southern US is getting a wealth of immigrants. Maybe our two countries can work something out if they talk. Canada's cold weather could be a deterrent to equatorial people but it's a golden opportunity to establish yourself with steady employment and a good income. There are warm clothes to wear and most people could adjust. With the two countries cooperating there's a whole lot of room for refugees who wish to flee their countries and everyone benefits.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I'm all for it. The only thing I hope for is that they're encouraged to live in the smaller city centres so as to not drive up rental/housing costs.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

That's a pretty big number.  I'll miss the old Canadian accent.  When you go to Vancouver you would swear it's a colony of India already.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, OverSword said:

That's a pretty big number.  I'll miss the old Canadian accent.  When you go to Vancouver you would swear it's a colony of India already.

It depends on where you go but that's what I enjoyed about it when I lived there.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Pretty much. Surrey, a suburban city next to Vancouver is Punjab central.( Lot of gangs)  The Chinese population in Richmond, BC, another suburb of Vancouver has the largest asian population in all of North America.

Edited by acidhead

4 hours ago, acidhead said:

Pretty much. Surrey, a suburban city next to Vancouver is Punjab central.( Lot of gangs)  The Chinese population in Richmond, BC, another suburb of Vancouver has the largest asian population in all of North America.

There's gangs in any major city.

Other than that,"Good!".

• Like 3

I will welcome them just as I have every other time. Especially those with experience in medicine. But all immigrants bring something to the table. 

• Like 2

This is excellent. 

Henceforth, Governors DeSantis and Abbot will send their illegal aliens to Ottawa and Toronto. :st

24 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

This is excellent. 

Henceforth, Governors DeSantis and Abbot will send their illegal aliens to Ottawa and Toronto. :st

,<chortle>

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

This is excellent. 

e20.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, susieice said:

The southern US is getting a wealth of immigrants. Maybe our two countries can work something out if they talk. Canada's cold weather could be a deterrent to equatorial people but it's a golden opportunity to establish yourself with steady employment and a good income. There are warm clothes to wear and most people could adjust. With the two countries cooperating there's a whole lot of room for refugees who wish to flee their countries and everyone benefits.

Hi Susieice

There are a lot of people moving here from warmer climes and they don’t seem to mind the cold that much. And yes if they want to come here to improve their lives as well as enrich ours by being part of a community then great.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

This is excellent. 

So Abbot and DeSantis are turning into coyotes?

• Haha 5

Biden could just send them a few more miles.

Biden Administration Quietly Flies Illegal Immigrants to New York in Middle of Night: Report

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-administration-quietly-flies-illegal-140450591.html

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Biden could just send them a few more miles.

Biden Administration Quietly Flies Illegal Immigrants to New York in Middle of Night: Report

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-administration-quietly-flies-illegal-140450591.html

Once again you didn't read the whole link. Nobody was dumped like De Santis did. Obviously you're just picking headlines without reading the content.

Also your link,

National Review is an American conservative editorial magazine.

4 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Once again you didn't read the whole link. Nobody was dumped like De Santis did. Obviously you're just picking headlines without reading the content.

Also your link,

National Review is an American conservative editorial magazine.

Have you ever had a reading comprehension check or are you deliberately obtuse?

I'm done with you.

• Like 2

Let's build a massive crosswalk from Nuevo Laredo to one of the many small cities near Winnipeg.  This could be a win/win/win for North America.  Mexico and the USA wouldn't have to deal with them and Canada would get them.  

Long journey of course.  

21 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

So Abbot and DeSantis are turning into coyotes?

Yes, but not very good coyotes. You're supposed to make money being a coyote, not lose it. :whistle:

• Haha 1

This is why Canadian members don't post Canadian issues in these forums.

They're quickly hijacked.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

As an immigrant myself I welcome the descision. The vast majority of immigrants make it here and continue to help building this great country. Bad apples will always be there regardless if new or old. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

20 hours ago, Michelle said:

Have you ever had a reading comprehension check or are you deliberately obtuse?

I'm done with you. 

I'm sorry you feel that way. You linked to a opinion piece. Opinions are are like butts, everyone has one.

• Thanks 1

Only reason Truck Frudeau wants to accelerate the immigration is to gain voters to his continuity as Prime Minister

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 1

Years ago we were warned of all the Syrian refugees we admitted which would lead to acts of terrorism and... nothing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, qxcontinuum said:

More system cheaters and immigrants coming from failing societies bringing their low standards. 

Only reason Truck Frudeau wants to accelerate the immigration is to bring up more Indians and Pakistanis that will vote his continuity as Prime Minister

You're racist post has been duly noted.

• Thanks 1