Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fresh fruit and veg prescribed to low-income families in UK trial

pellinore

Fresh fruit and vegetables are being given out on prescription to low-income families in a trial public health scheme aimed at tackling the growth of poverty-related hunger and health inequalities due to the UK’s cost of living crisis.

About 120 people with chronic disease and mental health conditions living in two of the UK’s poorest neighbourhoods are receiving weekly vouchers to spend on fresh groceries as part of a £250,000 nine-month project.

The vouchers, worth up to £8 a week with an additional £2 for each child in the household, are being given to participants identified by NHS-funded social prescribing staff in two projects, the Bromley by Bow centre in Tower Hamlets and the Beacon Project in Lambeth.

Fresh fruit and veg prescribed to low-income families in UK trial | UK cost of living crisis | The Guardian

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kartikg said:

Great, I hope the beneficiaries do indeed use the amount for veggies and fruits. 

I think they will be worthless unless they are used to buy fruit and veg, they couldn't be sold on easily as fruit and veg isn't very popular. GPs used to prescribe gym certificates, (but I think they may have stopped as being too expensive)- those may have had a resale value.

On 11/23/2022 at 1:10 PM, pellinore said:

I think they will be worthless unless they are used to buy fruit and veg, they couldn't be sold on easily as fruit and veg isn't very popular. GPs used to prescribe gym certificates, (but I think they may have stopped as being too expensive)- those may have had a resale value.

Can they instead buy junk food and bill them as fruits? Who is going to check them? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kartikg said:

Can they instead buy junk food and bill them as fruits? Who is going to check them? 

A good point. In similar schemes the stores participating were named (usually the big 5 supermarkets). I doubt it would be worth their while falsifying records. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if there will be an evaluation study, even if it is just done by an undergrad as a dissertation.