Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Celtic gold coins stolen from German museum in stunning heist

Grim Reaper 6

On, Tuesday, a huge horde of ancient Celtic gold coins was stolen from the Celtic and Roman Museum in Manching, Germany, according to Bavarian State Police. Authorities estimate the value of the coins, which together weighed about 4 kilograms (8.8 pounds), to be above 1 million dollars. The loss of the Celtic treasure is a disaster," explained Bavaria’s Minister of Science and Arts Markus Blume to the German news agency dpa. "As a testament to our history, the gold coins are irreplaceable." The 483 coins were first found in 1999 in the ancient Celtic settlement known as the Oppidum of Manching. Archaeologists quickly came to realize how sensational the discovery was: the coins represent the largest Celtic gold find of the 20th century. The trove is also the subject of continuing scholarly research on Celtic trade networks.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/celtic-gold-coins-stolen-from-german-museum-in-stunning-heist/ar-AA14uokA?cvid=6f4204e9d84f4388b6d1f2380c955efa

• Sad 4

I guess some private collector of stolen items might buy them or sadly they will get melted down.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I guess some private collector of stolen items might buy them or sadly they will get melted down.

Hopefully they are not melted down that would be terrible, I mean the thief is bad enough but melting them down is beyond my comprehension!:( 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Hopefully they are not melted down that would be terrible, I mean the thief is bad enough but melting them down is beyond my comprehension!:( 

Sadly it happen decades back treasure hunters would raid shipwrecks and find incredible beautiful things but most wrecks had no provenance no receipts and it was real gold real gems worth what they were worth not as the "treasures" they were.

My dad had a necklace of a gold crab and he wanted a gold pirate coin added to its claws when he was in some treasure shop in key west, so the owner a hunter asked do you want a real coin or copy i made from a real coin? My dad asked whats the difference the guy said the real one is a bit over twice the price, my dad took the copy as he told me he couldnt tell the two apart.

• Like 2