Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Brig. Gen. Martin Green Bragged About His Invincibility - He Was Quickly Proven Wrong

Grim Reaper 6

The sheer scale of the American Civil War meant a number of seemingly improbable events occurred. Among them were bullets colliding and fusing in mid-air, a Union general and the Confederate president sharing the same name, glow-in-the-dark wounds, and, in one case, a Confederate brigadier general who claimed he couldn't be killed, just seconds before he was. That was Martin Green.  

On June 27, 1863, Martin Green was busy inspecting Vicksburg's defenses. He carried out his inspection as if there wasn't an army of Union men attempting to put an end to him and his troops. He was warned to keep his head down, to which he responded, "A bullet has not yet been molded that will kill me."

In perhaps one of the worst cases of "speaking too soon," almost immediately after his reply, Green was shot in the head by a Union sharpshooter, killing him instantly.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/brig-gen-martin-green-bragged-about-his-invincibility-he-was-quickly-proven-wrong/ar-AA14ueJt?ocid=EMMX&cvid=53e5f9cfd1e64aefa3380647727ccd56

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, MGB said:

I bet some of those Civil war survivors that day had a story they told their Grandkids.

Yea I bet they did, that’s a crazy story but apparently it true!:yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1