Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ancient Roman snacks and coins found in Colosseum dig

Still Waters

Spectators at Rome's ancient gladiator arena, the Colosseum, may have enjoyed snacks of olives, fruit and nuts, archaeologists have found.

Food fragments of figs, grapes, cherries, blackberries, walnuts and more have been unearthed at the site.

Archaeologists also found the bones of bears and big cats that were probably used in the arena's hunting games.

The discoveries were made by archaeologists examining the 2,000-year-old landmark's sewers.

Relics like these provide a snapshot into the "experience and habits of those who came to this place during the long days dedicated to the performances", said Alfonsina Russo, Director of the Colosseum Archaeological Park.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63746307

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Ancient Roman snacks and coins found in Colosseum dig

Yup sure everybody likes a good snack as your watching a guy get his head lopped off. Popcorn and a soda. The only difference is now days we know the killing is not real.

This is about the first time in American history that you will have a generation of young men that NEVER faced the possibility of having to go somewhere and kill or be killed by someone. I hope that if called upon our future generations will be able to rise to the call without being totally devastated by having the kill or be killed in some sort of meaningless political war. We have repeatedly forced freedom on people that had no concept or desire for it. Even today South Korea will only stay free and democratic as long as America is willing to force their young men to go there and fight and die for their freedom.
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

BRIAN:
Larks' tongues. Otters' noses. Ocelot spleens.

REG:
Got any nuts?

BRIAN:
I haven't got any nuts. Sorry. I've got wrens' livers, badgers' spleens--

REG:
No, no, no.

BRIAN:
Otters' noses?

REG:
I don't want any of that Roman rubbish.

JUDITH:
Why don't you sell proper food?

BRIAN:
Proper food?

REG:
Yeah, not those rich imperialist tit-bits.

BRIAN:
Well, don't blame me. I didn't ask to sell this stuff.

REG:
All right. Bag of otters' noses, then.

FRANCIS:
Make it two.

REG:
Two.