Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Meta founder Mark Zuckerberg announces plans to cut 11,000 jobs from tech giant

itsnotoutthere

Meta, the parent company of Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp, has confirmed it plans to cut more than 11,000 jobs globally as part of a major restructuring of the tech giant.

The cuts will reduce the size of the company’s workforce by about 13%.

Meta founder and chief executive Mark Zuckerberg said the cuts were "some of the most difficult changes we’ve made in Meta’s history".

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-11-09/meta-founder-mark-zuckerberg-announces-plans-to-cut-11000-jobs-from-tech-giant

This was announced on the 9th of this month!  Can't remember everyone getting their knickers in a twist over this like they did with Elon.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

This was announced on the 9th of this month!  Can't remember everyone getting their knickers in a twist over this like they did with Elon.

Maybe because Meta is not nearly as relevant as Twitter?  Or maybe laying off 13% of your employees does not have the same impact on a company as laying off 50+%?  Or is it just that all the liberals are picking on Elon and Mark is protected by the grey lizardmen?

• Haha 2

https://www.investopedia.com/tech-layoffs-continue-at-hp-google-and-others-as-recession-nears-6832317

Big Tech is bracing for a tough road ahead as HP Inc. said it will axe 10% of its staff, Dell warned that sales are sliding, and Google prepares to designate 10,000 employees as low-performing, a potential prelude to mass staff reductions.

11,000 is a lot of people. Intel is still planning on laying off people, but not in the development wings, just the production side. And probably not even close to the 20% the news suggested. Probably closer to 8-10%.

Its to cut overhead. Zuckerburg said that he hired too many too fast, just like Twitter did. Though cutting 50% of Twitter was too harsh IMHO.

Also saw a article saying how despite there being jobs available, that few of the tech layoff people seem to be taking them. And I was like, DUH, these guys are on Unemployment for now. Free Money. Don't blame them. Take a break. Collect that free money. You paid into the system and so should get that money back, yeah?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rolltide said:

https://www.investopedia.com/tech-layoffs-continue-at-hp-google-and-others-as-recession-nears-6832317

Big Tech is bracing for a tough road ahead as HP Inc. said it will axe 10% of its staff, Dell warned that sales are sliding, and Google prepares to designate 10,000 employees as low-performing, a potential prelude to mass staff reductions.

I'm not sure why this is such a surprise to all these CEOs. The pandemic forced people to stay home, or work from home, or do school from home. and so there was a big uptick in Tech Sales, and online usage. For some reason these people (including my employer Intel) thought that this would be a long term trend and invested in additional people and built up production in response. But now things are much more like before, and everyone already has a new printer/laptop/software, and won't need more for a couple years. 

Which i do think Intel building new fabs will be a Plus, as when they come online, in a year or two, the demand will be back up.

Going to be a tough slog for the next year or so though.

• Like 1

I get the feeling Metaverse is going down in flames. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scholar4Truth said:

That was always its destiny

3 hours ago, Scholar4Truth said:

What? I mean sure... They spent 36 BILLION Dollars and have basically only a knock off 3D cell phone game... But... Just give them another 50 billion and I'm sure they'll have something a handful of people will use. :tsu:

(Sarcasm)