Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bipedal figure sighting near Cave City, KY ( Revised)

Tonedog45

I posted this in another section by mistake and due to conflicting views with certain people it was locked and I did not get the answers I was seeking. To make a long story short and hopefully only real people with ideas and knowledge will respond so please bear with me. In mid July 2022 I was enroute with my daughter and family to Columbus, Ohio from Texas to take her to her shotgun tournament Nationals held every year. We had to pass through Arkansas, Tennessee, and Kentucky before reaching Ohio. We wanted to look for family attractions halfway to Columbus and stumbled on a small town in Kentucky called Cave City. It was between Nashville and Louisville. It had attractions such as Dinosaur World and Onyx Caves plus Mammoth NP nearby. I loved the scenery in Eastern Kentucky and after arriving in Cave City checked in the hotel and left the family to rest as I wanted to drive around and check out the scenery before it got dark. I wanted to drive to the vicinity to Mammoth NP and look at the scenery but realized sun is starting to weaken and set. Still driving I saw a very tall dark bipedal figure cross the road really fast and I passed it and did a fast uturn.  I looked around for it and had my 40 caliber Glock pistol on me which I only use for protection. I looked for anything for evidence such as footprints or anything but darkness was everywhere and did not feel safe so I left. I drove back to the hotel but kept the experience from the family. Next day we did our tourist thing and visited Dinosaur World and Onyx Cave and it was not until we reached Ohio that I finally confessed to my family what I saw the night before. I did ask them if they would like to return to Cave City and family said hell no. After my daughter shotgun tournament four days later we returned and passed through Cave City and my said keep driving. There was concern in my last post about me wanting to kill this thing but that is not true. I just wanted to see it and phone picture of it but if push comes to shove yes I would use deadly force against any threat even though I kind of felt I did not have adequate weapon for something this huge. Only two reasons I would kill an animal and that is food or self defense so if this thing was around when I stopped and was not aggressive then no shots would be fired. I am more interested in collecting evidence. Unfortunately, not the case in my scenario. We are going back to Columbus, Ohio again for my daughter shotgun tournament next July and I will be visiting Cave City again this time to add more days to the vacation so I could actually hike around the area. I guess I am looking for people familiar with this area to give me insights what sightings have occurred around Mammoth NP area and what the locals are saying. 

• Haha 1

There's this...

http://www.kentuckybigfoot.com/

Kentucky has a long history of sightings of bigfoot, and other weirdness. It sounds like you possibly did see BF. And you did stop and look around, but didn't see anything weird. Which isn't unusual, as BF supposedly takes huge steps and will often clear the roadside and into the grass/brush, and leave no prints. Checking any nearby fences would have been one suggestion, as hair sometimes is found.

I'd suggest, like I have, a car camera. One that faces forward and records everything. Not only will it record a BF crossing the road, but also any car crashes you might be involved in. Good for insurance purposes.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, DieChecker said:

There's this...

Kentucky has a long history of sightings of bigfoot, and other weirdness. It sounds like you possibly did see BF. And you did stop and look around, but didn't see anything weird. Which isn't unusual, as BF supposedly takes huge steps and will often clear the roadside and into the grass/brush, and leave no prints. Checking any nearby fences would have been one suggestion, as hair sometimes is found.

I'd suggest, like I have, a car camera. One that faces forward and records everything. Not only will it record a BF crossing the road, but also any car crashes you might be involved in. Good for insurance purposes.

Yes Mobile dash cam is in the works along with other camera equipment which I can hold and do a rapid shot. I know this offended certain people in the last post but I am also considering bringing a powerful handgun called the 454 Casull made by Taurus just in case but like I said I am not looking to kill but only as a safety measure. Thanks for the link and I will read it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DieChecker said:

There's this...

Thank you very much I went to their website and sent a report to them and will have to wait and see. Thank you so much for this information as I know nothing about this and would like to talk to a professional that knows more about this.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tonedog45 said:

Thank you very much I went to their website and sent a report to them and will have to wait and see. Thank you so much for this information as I know nothing about this and would like to talk to a professional that knows more about this.

Youre welcome. I've been on this site for 15+ years and seen a lot of Bigfoot stories. There is also a long time core of skeptics here who can often be overly aggressive with newcomers and their stories. They got jaded and think they know everything and are quick to dismiss, nit pick fine details, and generally argue BF is impossible.

I will say that be careful whom you believe. Not every "Professional" in this field is an actual professional. Some are scam artists, and some are glory seekers. See if you can find someone who is generally just interested to share.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Youre welcome. I've been on this site for 15+ years and seen a lot of Bigfoot stories. There is also a long time core of skeptics here who can often be overly aggressive with newcomers and their stories. They got jaded and think they know everything and are quick to dismiss, nit pick fine details, and generally argue BF is impossible.

I will say that be careful whom you believe. Not every "Professional" in this field is an actual professional. Some are scam artists, and some are glory seekers. See if you can find someone who is generally just interested to share.

I kind of expected that and no problem with agreeing to disagreeing but it is the personal attack that turns me off right away. Like I said I am new to this and willing to discuss and listen who has more thoughts and knowledge than I do.

17 minutes ago, Tonedog45 said:

I kind of expected that and no problem with agreeing to disagreeing but it is the personal attack that turns me off right away. Like I said I am new to this and willing to discuss and listen who has more thoughts and knowledge than I do.

I've been guilty of that myself. Now I tend to just hit reply and comment that going personal is the lowest form of discussion. That it's the action of someone who has run out of logic, reason, and evidence to present. Tends to work and shut them up. At least for a short time. If they continue, I ignore them, as many are looking to get a reaction, and if no one argues with them, they leave the discussion.

There's been several posters on here who claim to have seen BF in person. In the woods. And all of them were (figuratively) beaten up and have since left. Which is a shame, as multiple views from multiple people is what makes a good discussion forum. I'm not convinced BF is real, but I also am not convinced BF is not real. There seems so many stories and experiences, that there's got to be some kind of phenomena involved.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 2

I used to work with some guys from Union County, an adjacent rural county with a small population. The swore there were black panthers roaming woods, there. Never had any kind of proof, not even footprints or scat, just the beast squalling at night. Yet they spoke with absolute certainty. So, I visited and roamed different patches of forested hills there, and I heard the kyoodling too. 

It was Bobcats. Bobcats can look big and black in the dark.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

I've been guilty of that myself. Now I tend to just hit reply and comment that going personal is the lowest form of discussion. That it's the action of someone who has run out of logic, reason, and evidence to present. Tends to work and shut them up. At least for a short time. If they continue, I ignore them, as many are looking to get a reaction, and if no one argues with them, they leave the discussion.

There's been several posters on here who claim to have seen BF in person. In the woods. And all of them were (figuratively) beaten up and have since left. Which is a shame, as multiple views from multiple people is what makes a good discussion forum. I'm not convinced BF is real, but I also am not convinced BF is not real. There seems so many stories and experiences, that there's got to be some kind of phenomena involved.

I feel we are all skeptics until we experience it ourselves. I was neutral and just an average joe before my experience and something like this did not come to my mind until it ran in front of me that day or evening. I really badly wished there was some evidence or I wish I had my camera phone ready but not something that gives us warnings. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I used to work with some guys from Union County, an adjacent rural county with a small population. The swore there were black panthers roaming woods, there. Never had any kind of proof, not even footprints or scat, just the beast squalling at night. Yet they spoke with absolute certainty. So, I visited and roamed different patches of forested hills there, and I heard the kyoodling too. 

It was Bobcats. Bobcats can look big and black in the dark.

That is very interesting, and I have run into Bobcats in my area when I am hunting deer and hogs in South Texas. The creature in my incident was very tall and bipedal and definitely not a black panther. 

10 minutes ago, Tonedog45 said:

That is very interesting, and I have run into Bobcats in my area when I am hunting deer and hogs in South Texas. The creature in my incident was very tall and bipedal and definitely not a black panther. 

All wild and feral cats that have bred for generations in the wild tend to look like long-legged miniature versions of big cats. The Bobcat can grow big enough to take down a small Doe. Texas has two big cats, the cougar and an occasional jaguar.

Edited by Hammerclaw

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

All wild and feral cats that have bred for generations in the wild tend to look like long-legged miniature versions of big cats. The Bobcat can grow big enough to take down a small Doe. Texas has two big cats, the cougar and an occasional jaguar.

I see many cougars in South Texas usually at a distance. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tonedog45 said:

I feel we are all skeptics until we experience it ourselves. I was neutral and just an average joe before my experience and something like this did not come to my mind until it ran in front of me that day or evening. I really badly wished there was some evidence or I wish I had my camera phone ready but not something that gives us warnings. 

I've tried an experiment several times. Where I keep my cell phone in my lap while driving, then try to get it open, up and take a pic, as I drive by something specific, like a guy crossing the road at night. And every single time, I've failed to get a good clean pic. Been trying it for years. Phone cameras are hard to use with one hand and aim with any good degree. Unless you skid your car to a stop to use both hands, a cell phone's not the best idea. 

Just my 2 cents.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

I've tried an experiment several times. Where I keep my cell phone in my lap while driving, then try to get it open, up and take a pic, as I drive by something specific, like a guy crossing the road at night. And every single time, I've failed to get a good clean pic. Been trying it for years. Phone cameras are hard to use with one hand and aim with any good degree. Unless you skid your car to a stop to use both hands, a cell phone's not the best idea. 

Just my 2 cents.

I know it is hard as that evening I lost hand control of my camera phone when I did that Uturn fast. I just wanted that photo shot but that thing was fast. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

Apparently KY Jelly doesn't come from Kentucky.

Apparently I heard KFC and Kentucky Fried Chicken are not the same according to a lawsuit.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tonedog45 said:

Apparently I heard KFC and Kentucky Fried Chicken are not the same according to a lawsuit.

Yeah I saw a documentary recently that suggests the "Pepsi that be" decided that "fried" had a negative health connotation, so now it stands for Kitchen Fresh Chicken.  And that's fine because Colonel Sanders hated the product that was being marketed under his name after he sold the business. and they screwed with all his recipes.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I find it highly unlikely, there are any creatures like BF (as described) in any part of Kentucky. There's no way a breeding population of such a creature could go so long without being either definitively captured and catalogued on video/photo or flat out killed by the vast amount of hunters in that region

• Thanks 1

On 11/25/2022 at 1:37 PM, Tonedog45 said:

I posted this in another section by mistake and due to conflicting views with certain people it was locked and I did not get the answers I was seeking. To make a long story short and hopefully only real people with ideas and knowledge will respond so please bear with me. In mid July 2022 I was enroute with my daughter and family to Columbus, Ohio from Texas to take her to her shotgun tournament Nationals held every year. We had to pass through Arkansas, Tennessee, and Kentucky before reaching Ohio. We wanted to look for family attractions halfway to Columbus and stumbled on a small town in Kentucky called Cave City. It was between Nashville and Louisville. It had attractions such as Dinosaur World and Onyx Caves plus Mammoth NP nearby. I loved the scenery in Eastern Kentucky and after arriving in Cave City checked in the hotel and left the family to rest as I wanted to drive around and check out the scenery before it got dark.

I wanted to drive to the vicinity to Mammoth NP and look at the scenery but realized sun is starting to weaken and set. Still driving I saw a very tall dark bipedal figure cross the road really fast and I passed it and did a fast uturn.  I looked around for it and had my 40 caliber Glock pistol on me which I only use for protection. I looked for anything for evidence such as footprints or anything but darkness was everywhere and did not feel safe so I left. I drove back to the hotel but kept the experience from the family. Next day we did our tourist thing and visited Dinosaur World and Onyx Cave and it was not until we reached Ohio that I finally confessed to my family what I saw the night before. I did ask them if they would like to return to Cave City and family said hell no. After my daughter shotgun tournament four days later we returned and passed through Cave City and my said keep driving.

There was concern in my last post about me wanting to kill this thing but that is not true. I just wanted to see it and phone picture of it but if push comes to shove yes I would use deadly force against any threat even though I kind of felt I did not have adequate weapon for something this huge. Only two reasons I would kill an animal and that is food or self defense so if this thing was around when I stopped and was not aggressive then no shots would be fired. I am more interested in collecting evidence. Unfortunately, not the case in my scenario. We are going back to Columbus, Ohio again for my daughter shotgun tournament next July and I will be visiting Cave City again this time to add more days to the vacation so I could actually hike around the area. I guess I am looking for people familiar with this area to give me insights what sightings have occurred around Mammoth NP area and what the locals are saying. 

There you go...amazing what a few spaces can do to a wall of words! ;)

• Haha 1

Darkness in addition of the shadow produced by you car headlights can induce strange sightings. The shadow of a deer jumping can transform into a black giant bipedal animals. You don't see the deer jumping because of the tunneling vision of night driving but his shadow could be surprising. An adjacent light can produce shadow too in front of your car. It could be a pedestrian like in that case:

Free Images : shadow, night, man, lonely, alone, waiting, People in nature,  plant, flash photography, gesture, asphalt, road surface, tree, wood,  grass, Tints and shades, dusk, landscape, horizon, grassland, soil,  darkness, field,

Or seeing that deer in the dark while driving fast...

deer.jpg?w=1040&quality=70&strip=all

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Trelane said:

I find it highly unlikely, there are any creatures like BF (as described) in any part of Kentucky. There's no way a breeding population of such a creature could go so long without being either definitively captured and catalogued on video/photo or flat out killed by the vast amount of hunters in that region

At the recommendation of Diechecker I talked with the people behind Bigfoot Research group in Kentucky and apparently the area in question is a hotspot. We had a good conversation and I wanted any answer even one where you suggested it was a hoax but no not from them. In fact I was also given this story by another poster about the area in question. I am not sure what I saw but based on what is given to me I am ready to call it a bigfoot and these stories are supporting that belief.

Shots fired near Mammoth Cave campsite after alleged Bigfoot encounter, report says | Fox News

1 hour ago, Jon the frog said:

Darkness in addition of the shadow produced by you car headlights can induce strange sightings. The shadow of a deer jumping can transform into a black giant bipedal animals. You don't see the deer jumping because of the tunneling vision of night driving but his shadow could be surprising. An adjacent light can produce shadow too in front of your car. It could be a pedestrian like in that case:

Free Images : shadow, night, man, lonely, alone, waiting, People in nature,  plant, flash photography, gesture, asphalt, road surface, tree, wood,  grass, Tints and shades, dusk, landscape, horizon, grassland, soil,  darkness, field,

Or seeing that deer in the dark while driving fast...

deer.jpg?w=1040&quality=70&strip=all

I have seen roadside deer before both stationed and moving and not even close. 

Update:

I did an interview with the Kentucky Bigfoot Organization and talked with one of their investigators and it was recorded. I gave my description on what I saw and did my best to give an accurate account but unfortunately I was limited as I was dealing with a fast runner. I was surprised there have been other sightings by other people as well and I kind of felt at ease knowing I am not alone. I did apologize to him that I did not have strong evidence and wanted to have one especially a photo and I do regret not having a mobile dash cam on my Expedition. I did tell them I plan to return to the area next July this time I will have a dash cam installed. 

9 hours ago, Tonedog45 said:

At the recommendation of Diechecker I talked with the people behind Bigfoot Research group in Kentucky and apparently the area in question is a hotspot. We had a good conversation and I wanted any answer even one where you suggested it was a hoax but no not from them. In fact I was also given this story by another poster about the area in question. I am not sure what I saw but based on what is given to me I am ready to call it a bigfoot and these stories are supporting that belief.

Shots fired near Mammoth Cave campsite after alleged Bigfoot encounter, report says | Fox News

Well of course a BF research group will say that stuff. It serves their existence to promote such a notion. They also can't seem to answer how a viable breeding population of the animal (as described) could linger for so long in the specific region without ever being definitively captured on photo/video or catalogued or even killed for that matter.

I would look for local hunting groups and see what they say. Those fellas have trail cams, deer stands and duck blinds all over the place. You would think they would have had something captured or killed by now. 

3 hours ago, Trelane said:

Well of course a BF research group will say that stuff. It serves their existence to promote such a notion. They also can't seem to answer how a viable breeding population of the animal (as described) could linger for so long in the specific region without ever being definitively captured on photo/video or catalogued or even killed for that matter.

I would look for local hunting groups and see what they say. Those fellas have trail cams, deer stands and duck blinds all over the place. You would think they would have had something captured or killed by now. 

Actually I was told one of the witnesses to a bipedal animal in the area in question is a hunter who did see one. So yes locals are saying this as well and not just the BF investigators. Next July I am planning to visit and I will talk to some locals.