Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Emboldened Biden, Democrats push ban on so-called assault weapons

Grim Reaper 6

When President Biden speaks about the “scourge” of gun violence, his go-to answer is to zero in on so-called assault weapons. America has heard it hundreds of times, including this week after shootings in Colorado and Virginia: The president wants to sign into law a ban on high-powered guns that have the capacity to kill many people very quickly. The idea we still allow semi-automatic weapons to be purchased is sick. Just sick," Biden said on Thanksgiving Day. “I’m going to try to get rid of assault weapons.”

When Biden and other lawmakers talk about “assault weapons,” they are using an inexact term to describe a group of high-powered guns or semiautomatic long rifles, such as an AR-15, that can fire 30 rounds fast without reloading. By comparison, New York Police Department officers carry a handgun that shoots about half that much.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/emboldened-biden-democrats-push-ban-on-so-called-assault-weapons/ar-AA14yOEB?cvid=63a9ce831eeb4ba7b11514429a1f1401

• Like 1

I'm sure his handlers cringed when he said the quiet part, out loud.  He said he wants to ban "semi-auto" weapons.  Not JUST the AR or AK platforms...ALL semi-auto weapons.  If our government ever actually attempts such confiscation, tens or even hundreds of thousands of Americans would resist it and likely die.  So... would Biden and his supporters be concerned about the "sick" loss of life in those cases?  Nope... ask any of them and if they're honest they'll tell you that the end would justify the means.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, and-then said:

I'm sure his handlers cringed when he said the quiet part, out loud.  He said he wants to ban "semi-auto" weapons.  Not JUST the AR or AK platforms...ALL semi-auto weapons.  If our government ever actually attempts such confiscation, tens or even hundreds of thousands of Americans would resist it and likely die.  So... would Biden and his supporters be concerned about the "sick" loss of life in those cases?  Nope... ask any of them and if they're honest they'll tell you that the end would justify the means.

I don’t think such a ban is even possible, they may be able to stop new sales or stop importation. But people are not going to turn in weapons already owned and most are not even registered. I think our Government has waited to long to attempt something like this, and it’s certainly not worth the loss of life that would occur if the policy was forced. In addition I don’t think this measure  would ever pass the House and the Senate.

• Like 1

A semi automatic weapon is any firearm that can just fire with each trigger pull. So doesn't include bolt action, revolvers, shotguns, muzzle loaders, and other single shot firearms.

An assault rifle specifically is also semi automatic, but can be set to burst fire, or fully automatic. So is much more dangerous in close quarters. Some, like an AR-15 LOOK like a assault rifle, but are single shot only which is why it is stupid to use that as the example in numerous cases.

I'm not sure Joe the Sniffer knows the difference, but I do know he favors shotguns.

Though, if I remember right, assault rifles account for far less then 1% of murders, they are held up as very dangerous. Very few private assault rifles are used in crimes.

Despite that, or because it is an easy target, they get a lot of hate. It is an easy political target, where relatively few people will be affected, but sounds terribly important. If people wanted to prevent murders, then SemiAutomatic pistols would be the thing to be against.

So, I'm not entirely against an assault rifle ban, simply because they don't serve a real purpose, even though they don't really kill many people in the US, and so shouldn't be condemned. They can be used to hunt, sure, but a hunting rifle costs about the same and is more accurate and it's easier to get ammo. And people don't look at you weird with one in the back of the car/truck.

So in short... Easy political win... Little effect on deaths... Looks like doing something, but really not doing anything.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It is a game, a strategy.   They know its not going to happen, but they are staking out a position popular with many.  Not nearly a majority, but a voting bloc the Republicans will never have.  The conservative right thinks Biden is senile and has handlers anyway, so they will rant and rave and work up their base.  Democrats and independents who are not behind total automatic weapon bans still get to watch and although they do not support the ban and know it doesn't stand a chance, they decide that the conservatives are still wild eyed crazies triggered again. 

Convenient to think Biden is clueless if it makes you feel better, but somebody around him knows political strategy.

Trump announces nearly two years before the election.  Biden says he is going to run.  That gives everybody chances to snipe at the apparent candidates.  Trump will get sniped by Republicans even more effectively than Democrats can,  and in the process he will also try to eat some of his young like Rodney Dangerfield says tigers do.  Republicans can destroy Biden because he is all they can see.  It is a great strategy even if Biden knew at his inauguration he would be a one term president.  Meanwhile next year, fresh Dems can come out and duke it out between themselves after hiding in Biden's shadow while he takes the fire.  And I am sure they hope like hell it will be Trump that they run against.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

The conservative right thinks Biden is senile and has handlers anyway,

Someone is handing him those cards that say, "Enter room. Sit down.".:whistle: :rofl:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Someone is handing him those cards that say, "Enter room. Sit down.".:whistle: :rofl:

Maybe, but somebody knows what they are doing.:D

Meanwhile Ye tell us Trump is very impressed with Nick Fuentes.  Where are the people telling Trump not to sit here or talk to that guy?   Thank Ye's Father that he got back on Twitter to tell us about it.:devil:

• Like 3

Biden is just placating the Left Base because he was told to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Where are the people telling Trump not to sit here or talk to that guy?

There aren't any.  Because Trump doesn't take orders from anyone.  One reason we love him! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Hawken said:

Almost 800-gun homicides in Chicago in 2021.by gangs where innocent children & bystanders caught in the crossfire. But the mainstream media rarely reports it. But the media will wait for that "allege" white supremacist to shoot up a store or nightclub and report it for weeks.

Yea it’s really very sad, and it’s been going on for 30 or 40 years. I have never been able to understand why the US Government doesn’t put an end to the gang violence. The mass shooters are very difficult to catch before they act, but the gangs on the other hand. Law enforcement knows who and where they are, it seems like it would be a very easy situation to handle so I suppose the Government just doesn’t care.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Yea it’s really very sad, and it’s been going on for 30 or 40 years. I have never been able to understand why the US Government doesn’t put an end to the gang violence. The mass shooters are very difficult to catch before they act, but the gangs on the other hand. Law enforcement knows who and where they are, it seems like it would be a very easy situation to handle so I suppose the Government just doesn’t care.

It is all because of the War on Drugs!   How can you wage war on an inanimate object?  You wage War on People.  See, that is the War no one in Washington wants to think about.  World War 4.  The Drug Cartel wars.  We looked the other way too long.  I know you remember Manuel Noriega.  Think we could do something like that now?  In Mexico?  or anywhere? 

Yeah, you are right sir!  For decades we let this cancer grow.  Patient is in a terminal state now.  Hospice.  Just like real war against Russia.  Nobody is even thinking that way...not in Washington anyway.  So, yeah, but back to the point at hand.  Everyone in this country has shotguns and pistols both semi-automatic and not.  The regular people have them.  The criminals have them.  So the old adage applies...when you take away the guns from the people, the only ones with guns will be the criminals and the cops...and freedom dies on the vine. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hawken said:

Almost 800-gun homicides in Chicago in 2021.by gangs where innocent children & bystanders caught in the crossfire. But the mainstream media rarely reports it. But the media will wait for that "allege" white supremacist to shoot up a store or nightclub and report it for weeks.

Is it a media conspiracy or is it just  business doing what's marketable?

Take UM for example, how often do you see a thread about gang violence get traction? People will say that sad and call it a day.

A school shooting? Instant traction. The threads blow up.

Because as humans we all kind of suck. Gang violence dosen't scare us. We believe if we stay out of poor areas than we won't have to deal with it. But school shooting, movie theatre, college shooting. That scares people because that's something that could happen to them. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Is it a media conspiracy or is it just  business doing what's marketable?

Take UM for example, how often do you see a thread about gang violence get traction? People will say that sad and call it a day.

A school shooting? Instant traction. The threads blow up.

Because as humans we all kind of suck. Gang violence dosen't scare us. We believe if we stay out of poor areas than we won't have to deal with it. But school shooting, movie theatre, college shooting. That scares people because that's something that could happen to them. 

For the Clicks... Stuff that blows up is good for media sponsors/commercials. What gets reported is what brings in money.... Sadly....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hawken said:

My co-worker was telling me how several white men have been the recent mass shooters. I pointed out the Walmart shooter is black, and the nightclub shooter was non-binary. Shut him up a bit.

Someone in one of the gun threads was saying how there is at least one mass shooting per day. But, flip side of that is we don't hear about that so much, because most of those mass shootings are in high crime gang situations. Which isn't surprising or scary, so doesn't get reported. UNLESS... There's a bad cop involved, or a racist. Can we say "Media Bias"?

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

My co-worker was telling me how several white men have been the recent mass shooters. I pointed out the Walmart shooter is black, and the nightclub shooter was non-binary. Shut him up a bit.

Someone in one of the gun threads was saying how there is at least one mass shooting per day. But, flip side of that is we don't hear about that so much, because most of those mass shootings are in high crime gang situations. Which isn't surprising or scary, so doesn't get reported. UNLESS... There's a bad cop involved, or a racist. Can we say "Media Bias"?

Yes, I ran across an article where the Club Q shooter in Colorado said he's non-binary. And to my surprise it was from CNN.

Usually, they and other MSM will drop a story if it doesn't fit their narratives.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hawken said:

Yes, I ran across an article where the Club Q shooter in Colorado said he's non-binary. And to my surprise it was from CNN.

Usually, they and other MSM will drop a story if it doesn't fit their narratives.

I think it had already got out into the public news cycle, and so they probably decided they couldn't effectively cover it up. I'd agree though that normally they would just not mention it in their reporting.

Surprisingly CNN has been going more toward the center, then the far left. I think there was a editorial/managerial change at the higher levels. They've even posted several articles critical of the Sniffing One, who smiles while reading his tiny card telling him what to do.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, joc said:

There aren't any.  Because Trump doesn't take orders from anyone.  One reason we love him! 

Well as Forrest says, "Stupid is as stupid does."

• Like 3

9 hours ago, joc said:

It is all because of the War on Drugs!   How can you wage war on an inanimate object?  You wage War on People.  See, that is the War no one in Washington wants to think about.  World War 4.  The Drug Cartel wars.  We looked the other way too long.  I know you remember Manuel Noriega.  Think we could do something like that now?  In Mexico?  or anywhere? 

Yeah, you are right sir!  For decades we let this cancer grow.  Patient is in a terminal state now.  Hospice.  Just like real war against Russia.  Nobody is even thinking that way...not in Washington anyway.  So, yeah, but back to the point at hand.  Everyone in this country has shotguns and pistols both semi-automatic and not.  The regular people have them.  The criminals have them.  So the old adage applies...when you take away the guns from the people, the only ones with guns will be the criminals and the cops...and freedom dies on the vine. 

Yes you right, it’s like the issue with gun control each administration has passed the problem to the next administration. Because to do what is necessary is the end of that Presidents political career. Now especially with all the mass shootings something must done, but like you said our Government has avoided the issue to long. Yes I agree with you if the guns are taken away from honest Americans only the Criminals would be armed. But ever beyond that, there are so many unregistered weapons in the country they would never find them all anyway. Plus I believe it would also cost the lives of too many people to even attempt to collect all the weapons, because many Americans will not turn them in voluntarily. So I certainly don’t have any idea what the answer is, but I am certain it will not be an easy process.

Last I also believe Biden is just playing to his base, I suspect when he leaves office it will just be passed along again.:yes:

• Like 2

It amuses me that Biden and the Democrats are pushing this after they lost the house.  It's almost as if they really didn't want to solve the problem but rather give the image that they are trying and being foiled by the Republicans.  Of course I found it equally funny about all the Republican agendas that never amounted to anything in the first two years of Trump that they are complaining about now as well.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

It amuses me that Biden and the Democrats are pushing this after they lost the house.  It's almost as if they really didn't want to solve the problem but rather give the image that they are trying and being foiled by the Republicans.  Of course I found it equally funny about all the Republican agendas that never amounted to anything in the first two years of Trump that they are complaining about now as well.

Exactly man!  It is all a charade.  Let's go back in time for just a moment....Bushy...had the Presidency, the house, the senate...and what did he do...nothing except play war games with his Indian friends.  So much .....  too much....and always...not enough of substance from any  party. 

• Like 2

Question: I don't know the answer to this. I was reading about AR-15s and how they are "unfairly" blamed and cast as assault rifles. But that got me thinking, if only 1% of murders happen with assault rifles, does that include AR-15s, or do they fall under the regular Rifle category?

If under Rifle, then maybe AR15s DO cause a lot of deaths, and NOT actual assault rifles. 

Not saying we ban AR-15s, but wondering if they are as innocent as some would have us believe.

On 11/26/2022 at 2:26 PM, Tatetopa said:

Well as Forrest says, "Stupid is as stupid does."

biden resembles that remark.

Trump's Fans Don't Think Joe Biden Called US Troops 'Stupid Bastards'