Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Double telescope study of zone where Wow! signal originated comes up empty

Still Waters

An international team of astronomers has conducted a double-telescopic study of the zone where the Wow! signal originated and failed to detect any signal. In their paper published in Research Notes of the American Astronomical Society, the group describes their study and what they learned from it.

On August 15, 1977, the Big Ear radio telescope on the campus of Ohio State University recorded a 72-second narrowband signal onto a paper tape. Several days later, Jerry Ehman, an astronomer at the university, studied the tape and found the signal so unusual that he scrawled the word Wow! next to the data points.

Since that time, the signal has been discussed at great length in the astronomy community, but nobody has been able to explain its origin. And until now, no one has taken a detailed survey of the part of the sky where the signal originated. In this new effort, the researchers chose to rectify that situation by conducting a dual-telescopic study of the part of the night sky that is believed to be the source of the signal.

https://phys.org/news/2022-11-telescope-zone-wow.html

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/2515-5172/ac9408

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I am no expert, but if aliens are anything like us, the poor alien dude that kept sending the Wow signal could be dead by now, almost half a century later. 

The signal came in close to the 21 cm hydrogen line, a frequency proposed as a place to look for an intelligent broadcast due to it being in a quite part of the spectrum. 

Also the target star, that may have been in the area of the signals origin, is estimated at ${1788}_{-19}^{+19}$ light years. 

The best guestimate for the distribution of life in the Galaxy would put our nearest neighbor at between 1500 and 2000 LY, which this candidate area would also fit within. 

Not as it proves anything but interesting non the less. ;)

• Like 4

Waste of time. There ain't no aliens. Well, there might be. But the Fermi Paradox has already been solved and the answer is that 'They are too far away'. They are either too far away to contact by any means we know of, like radio waves, or even if we could contact them, we could never receive a reply. It's sad, but this is a complete waste of time. I grew up watching the original Star Trek and as soon as I realized this, I was depressed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hyperionxvii said:

Waste of time. There ain't no aliens. Well, there might be. But the Fermi Paradox has already been solved and the answer is that 'They are too far away'. They are either too far away to contact by any means we know of, like radio waves, or even if we could contact them, we could never receive a reply. It's sad, but this is a complete waste of time. I grew up watching the original Star Trek and as soon as I realized this, I was depressed. 

Nope. It's not solved, where did you get that? Besides, nothing at all is proven until a direct evidence is acquired. To prove that no other life exists or even that they are too far we have to dismiss the very fact that we ourselves are thriving here, not just "existing". Life as here on Earth is too abundant to be extraordinary, and our intelligent species became too numerous as well. So they must be somewhere, their existence is very probable. Not finding them yet only diminishes the chances of finding them using the same methods, but since we have a direct evidence of the possibility of abundant and thriving life, we just have to continue searching. 9 chances out of 10 that we just don't know something which prevents us from hearing them. Or may be they are indeed intentionally hiding from us, like some weirdos think.

Edited by Chaldon
  • Like 2

The 40-Year Old Mystery of the "Wow!" Signal Was Just Solved

'These comets, known as  266P/Christensen and 335P/Gibbs, have clouds of hydrogen gas millions of kilometers in diameter surrounding them. The Wow! Signal was detected at 1420MHz, which is the radio frequency hydrogen naturally emits. Notably, the team has verified that the comets were within the vicinity at the time, and they report that the radio signals from 266/P Christensen matched those from the Wow! signal'.

https://futurism.com/the-40-year-old-mystery-of-the-wow-signal-was-just-solved

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, qunaquna said:

I am no expert, but if aliens are anything like us, the poor alien dude that kept sending the Wow signal could be dead by now, almost half a century later. 

Or poor alien creature got fired for blowing their cover. :alien: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jethrofloyd said:

The 40-Year Old Mystery of the "Wow!" Signal Was Just Solved

'These comets, known as  266P/Christensen and 335P/Gibbs, have clouds of hydrogen gas millions of kilometers in diameter surrounding them. The Wow! Signal was detected at 1420MHz, which is the radio frequency hydrogen naturally emits. Notably, the team has verified that the comets were within the vicinity at the time, and they report that the radio signals from 266/P Christensen matched those from the Wow! signal'.

https://futurism.com/the-40-year-old-mystery-of-the-wow-signal-was-just-solved

The TV show Phantom Signals, episode 2, "Alien Evidence: The Holy Grail" states the comets would not have produced a signal as strong as the "WOW" signal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We will never find intelligent life out there even if it's sitting right into our eyes because of the army of unprepared scientists ready to split the hair in 4 finding a reason to refute an idea. 

It's very possible that those who have sent the wow signal have done it either in distress or an episode like we do on Earth.  Here we don't always send comms out of our space but once every like 20- 30 years or so.  Oumoumomma  Case was the best example of how ignorant and unprepare NASA and other space agencies  can be when there are solid chances of finding extraterrestrial intelligence.

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Confused 1

I was thinking since it has been 55 years they might need to adjust the location they scan to a closer position, in case it is something traveling towards us.