Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Monkeypox to be renamed 'because of racism'

itsnotoutthere

Monkeypox is to be rebranded as ‘mpox’ after global health experts said the name had racist connotations and could lead to stigmatisation. 

The World Health Organisation (WHO) said the term monkeypox would be phased out over the coming year. 

It follows a forum in the summer in which two families of monkeypox - the Congo Basin and West African clades - were renamed as Clade I and Clade II. 

At the time, the WHO said the decision was to ‘avoid causing offence to any cultural, social, national, regional, professional, or ethnic groups, and minimise any negative impact on trade, travel, tourism or animal welfare.’

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/medical/monkeypox-to-be-renamed-because-of-racism/ar-AA14DVGv?ocid=BingHp01&cvid=2aa14491297e47cede868d55d4ed1ac1

:hmm: Can someone explain this to me please, cuz I just don't get it.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

Anyone that thinks this way is the actual racist. :rolleyes:  

But I guess you can't really wrong them for defending GWB

EGX8UFOWsAEtM5U.jpg

Edited by OverSword
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Well, seems somebody at WHO thought like that. But you're right.

• Like 2

Absolute face palm. I wish the WHO would name the individual who came up with the idea to rename monkeypox. I feel the problem is that individual. Then next we need the names of the team that supported this crazy idea - they need retraining or to go somewhere that they can stop causing harm.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, OpenMindedSceptic said:

Absolute face palm. I wish the WHO would name the individual who came up with the idea to rename monkeypox. I feel the problem is that individual. Then next we need the names of the team that supported this crazy idea - they need retraining or to go somewhere that they can stop causing harm.

This is exactly my first thought whenever I hear nonsense like this. Remember the PG Tips tea adverts that used monkeys, they stopped it because some bright spark thought it was racist, but in reality was just highlighting that particular persons own racist thought. That individual needs re-educating.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

This does raise one interesting question though. Is Spanish flu & German measles now to be renamed for their racist connotations?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Already posted.

• The topic was locked