Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cannabis is no better than a placebo for treating pain – new research

Still Waters

Cannabis is one of the most widely used drugs in the world. While there are only a few countries where cannabis is legal for recreational use, many more countries have legalised the use of cannabis for medical reasons.

Reducing pain is one of the most common reasons people report using medical cannabis. According to a US national survey, 17% of respondents who had reported using cannabis in the past year had been prescribed medical cannabis. When it comes to self-medication, the numbers are even higher – with estimates that between 17-30% of adults in North America, Europe and Australia reporting they use it to manage pain.

Although cannabis (and cannabis-derived products, such as CBD) may be widely used for reducing pain, how effective it really is in doing this is still unclear. This is what our recent systematic review and meta-analysis sought to uncover. Our study, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, suggests cannabis is no better at relieving pain than a placebo.

Continued:

https://theconversation.com/cannabis-is-no-better-than-a-placebo-for-treating-pain-new-research-195394

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

But it can make someone mad, insane, commit crimes and have homosexual tendencies if not totally corrupt their morals and seek to overthrow the government... 

~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, SHaYap said:

But it can make someone mad, insane, commit crimes and have homosexual tendencies if not totally corrupt their morals and seek to overthrow the government... 

~

It works on upset from Crohns like diseases but doesn't do **** for fibromyalgia or RA pain.

It's also good for autistic people to settle them.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

It works on upset from Crohns like diseases but doesn't do **** for fibromyalgia or RA pain.

And a whole lot more but that's not the point 

~

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SHaYap said:

And a whole lot more but that's not the point 

~

Okay, I'm lost. But I have to make coffee.

Is the study coming from neocon source? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Okay, I'm lost. But I have to make coffee.

Is the study coming from neocon source? 

The underlying clause with this is the test subjects were already dependant on prescription and over the counter  pain killers

~

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I wish someone would explain Medical Cannabis to me. I've never been able to work it out!

How does Cannabis Oil work without THC?

How is CBD an active ingredient?

If there's no THC in it, and CBD does nothing, why is Medical Cannabis Oil banned in most countries?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SHaYap said:

The underlying clause with this is the test subjects were already dependant on prescription and over the counter  pain killers

~

Which means it wouldn't work. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, acute said:

I wish someone would explain Medical Cannabis to me. I've never been able to work it out!

Ok.....

How does Cannabis Oil work without THC?

It doesn't.

How is CBD an active ingredient?

It's not.

If there's no THC in it, and CBD does nothing, why is Medical Cannabis Oil banned in most countries?

Stupid is. 

The active ingredient is THC....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, SHaYap said:

~

Placebo effect?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Piney said:

Which means it wouldn't work. 

That's also like saying cannabis doesn't get anybody high because 10 out of 10 crack heads and 9 out of 10 heroin addicts said they don't get high smoking weed... 

~

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SHaYap said:

That's also like saying cannabis doesn't get anybody high because 10 out of 10 crack heads and 9 out of 10 heroin addicts said they don't get high smoking weed... 

~

Prescription painkillers burn out dopamine receptors which the weed has to hit. Weed doesn't do that.

If they were clean it would work on certain things.

• Like 3

Can I guess who funded the article? Pfizer, or another pharma company

Cannabis clearly does have a pain killing ability, this is obvious to anyone who has smoked/used it while sore.

Whether the anti inflammatory CDB helps, the THC blocking pain receptors or its entirely psychosomatic by distracting your brain from the pain, it still works.

Only someone with a vested interest in pharmaceutical painkillers could come up with this BS

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Knob Oddy said:

Can I guess who funded the article? Pfizer, or another pharma company

Cannabis clearly does have a pain killing ability, this is obvious to anyone who has smoked/used it while sore.

Whether the anti inflammatory CDB helps, the THC blocking pain receptors or its entirely psychosomatic by distracting your brain from the pain, it still works.

Only someone with a vested interest in pharmaceutical painkillers could come up with this BS

Well, I was given it to control my Crohns like symptoms for my celiac.

But it didn't help with the fibromyalgia also from the celiac. Nor the RA. But it could of been just me. 

Of course it was a failure because I couldn't run my saws or heavy equipment. So I use turmeric, which does work for the RA and Crohns.....to a extent. 

Also like the study said. The subjects were on pain meds. Which means their receptors are half burnt. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We who have been around from the beginning of the Medical Marijuana Mystery Tour have always known that it was a ploy to get Cannabis legalized.  And...it worked!  

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, joc said:

We who have been around from the beginning of the Medical Marijuana Mystery Tour have always known that it was a ploy to get Cannabis legalized.  And...it worked!  

No, there's actually quite a bit of science in it today. Our bodies rely on endocannabinoids as chemical regulators. And the body and brain is basically a chemical machine. 

What is the ECS?
The ECS comprises a vast network of chemical signals and cellular receptors that are densely packed throughout our brains and bodies. The "cannabinoid" receptors in the brain — the CB1 receptors — outnumber many of the other receptor types on the brain. They act like traffic cops to control the levels and activity of most of the other neurotransmitters. This is how they regulate things: by immediate feedback, turning up or down the activity of whichever system needs to be adjusted, whether that is hunger, temperature, or alertness.

To stimulate these receptors, our bodies produce molecules called endocannabinoids, which have a structural similarity to molecules in the cannabis plant. The first endocannabinoid that was discovered was named anandamide after the Sanskrit word ananda for bliss. All of us have tiny cannabis-like molecules floating around in our brains. The cannabis plant, which humans have been using for about 5,000 years, essentially works its effect by hijacking this ancient cellular machinery.

A second type of cannabinoid receptor, the CB2 receptor, exists mostly in our immune tissues and is critical to helping control our immune functioning, and it plays a role in modulating intestinal inflammation, contraction, and pain in inflammatory bowel conditions. CB2 receptors are particularly exciting targets of drug development because they don’t cause the high associated with cannabis that stimulating the CB1 receptors does (which is often an unwanted side effect).

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the-endocannabinoid-system-essential-and-mysterious-202108112569#:~:text=The "cannabinoid" receptors in the,most of the other neurotransmitters.

There are good results regarding epilepsy and Parkinson's. 

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1611618

It was identified as a class one drug in the fifties, which says it has no medical value whatsoever, however modern studies have illustrated otherwise. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.cancerresearchuk.org/2022/05/13/cannabis-cannabinoids-and-cancer-the-evidence-so-far/amp/

I'd support further study personally.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

Harvard Study Finds Cannabis Effective for Chronic Pain

This naturalistic study of medical cannabis (MC) patients with chronic pain provides preliminary evidence that ‘real world’ MC treatment may be a viable alternative or adjunctive treatment for a least some individuals with chronic pain,” wrote lead author Staci Gruber, PhD, Associate Professor of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School. 

“As results also revealed that individual cannabinoids appear to exert unique effects on pain and comorbid symptoms, more research is needed to potentially optimize cannabinoid-based treatments for pain.

Studies also find positives. I agree with this conclusion in that more study is required.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, psyche101 said:
11 hours ago, joc said:

No, there's actually quite a bit of science in it today. Our bodies rely on endocannabinoids as chemical regulators. And the body and brain is basically a chemical machine. 

I don't know what medical uses they have found for it...but what I do know is that the original thought  came from a group of people who wanted marijuana legalized and they thought the best avenue for getting that done would be as 'medical' marijuana.  Ever heard of NORML?   National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws

Edited by joc
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, joc said:

I don't know what medical uses they have found for it...but what I do know is that the original thought  came from a group of people who wanted marijuana legalized and they thought the best avenue for getting that done would be as 'medical' marijuana.  Ever heard of NORML?   National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws

It's only attempting to reverse decisions made in the 50s when it was outlawed. Before that CBD oils were sold in most chemists, I understand you guys call them drug stores. This was when the anti propoganda campaign including the now famous film "reefer madness" which we know is a blatant attempt to lie to people to push the non medical issue. 

There's a very interesting history where virtually unknown American Roger Adams, a descendant of John Adams used CBD for pain relief with good results in the 40s.

https://www.cannabis-mag.com/the-american-chemist-roger-adams-isolated-the-cbd-75-years-ago/

Thanks for the link. I hadn't heard of that organisation but it seems specifically American. They seems to be more orientated towards recreational use which I think is a different argument again. 

Olivia Newton John was a huge advocate of CBD treatment. She was adamant that she saw very good results. The foundation she left is orientated towards the medical research for cancer relief. 

https://www.prevention.com/health/health-conditions/a39122778/olivia-newton-john-cannabis-cancer-treatment/

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/29/2022 at 7:15 AM, Piney said:

The only time I ever used it for pain, I just happened to have some and was suffering from a horrible case of acid reflux.  I recall that after smoking a joint, the pain didn't really go away BUT I was able to focus away from the misery.

I remember going to an ER for that pain and being prescribed an OTC remedy called GAVISCON.  That was in the mid 70s and I've sworn by it, ever since :) 

• Like 2

On 11/29/2022 at 9:32 AM, Ell said:

Placebo effect?

More of a government plan to make money on prisons.

• Like 2