Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cyborgs v ‘holdout humans’: what the world might be like if our species survives for a million years

Still Waters

Most species are transitory. They go extinct, branch into new species or change over time due to random mutations and environmental shifts. A typical mammalian species can be expected to exist for a million years. Modern humans, Homo sapiens, have been around for roughly 300,000 years. So what will happen if we make it to a million years?

Science fiction author H.G. Wells was the first to realise that humans could evolve into something very alien. In his 1883 essay, Man in the year million, he envisioned what’s now become a cliche: big-brained, tiny-bodied creatures. Later, he speculated that humans could also split into two or more new species.

While Wells’s evolutionary models have not stood the test of time, the three basic options he considered still hold true. We could go extinct, turn into several species or change.

Continued:

https://theconversation.com/cyborgs-v-holdout-humans-what-the-world-might-be-like-if-our-species-survives-for-a-million-years-195051

• Like 3

We can hardly imagine what the world will be like in just 100 years. People 100 years ago couldn't have imagined what the world looks like today. Looking 1 million years into the future becomes pretty meaningless I think.

On 12/5/2022 at 4:02 AM, jethrofloyd said:

If we survive, in a million years all humans will become Supermans.

Watch: What will humans look like in 1,000 years?

I don't mind wearing a bathmat if I get a spear.  Then I can mug the other guys and have my pick of their clothes, phones and money.:ph34r:

Then again, perhaps I'm partaking of too much Russian culture lately? :huh:

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 1

If man continues to control most of his environment he will change very little. What change that does occur will most likely not be in a very good direction. We are at this time in places like the US and western Europe actually DEEVOLVING and getting stupider with every passing generation.

People in the more advanced nations are in the worst situation as far as evolution. Each generation is less able and less intelligent. This is caused by the simple FACT that smart well educated people barely replace themselves and only have a couple of kids while those on welfare and the people that are dumb as a box of rocks are having 6 stupid kids that will be just like their parents. We are pretty STUPID ourselves. We actually pay them to have as many kids as possible to get a bigger welfare check. After two kids that you can't support you need to get fixed whether you want to or not. A third kid should be a felony and you go to prison until you get fixed!!! We won't force it on you BUT you will not be allowed to go out and spawn another batch of b****** kids for the rest of us to support for their entire life. We either will support them on welfare or support them in prison. It would be cheaper to just pay those people to get fixed.

21 hours ago, DanL said:

If man continues to control most of his environment he will change very little. What change that does occur will most likely not be in a very good direction. We are at this time in places like the US and western Europe actually DEEVOLVING and getting stupider with every passing generation.

I am genuinely curious to know from where you get that conclusion?